1937 Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just got this frame a few days ago from another member. thanks again, yeshoney. He used it a few years ago in Build Off 7, and as much as that fantastic bike deserved to stay together, his willingness to part with the frame and my ability to rationalize made it happen. Check out the bike he built here:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...-a-red-bike-and-want-to-paint-it-black.61034/

I had to set another project aside for the moment to put this one together. Here's the frame sitting next to the 1940 Elgin Twin Bar I'll be building down the line a bit:

a>

I had some spare parts around, and I had to ride it as soon as possible, so I put it together over the last few days, and it rides as good as it looks. Probably the most fun you can have on a bike. I've only done a few miles so far, and I'm sure I'll have it apart a few times before I'm done. I have an 8 speed wheelset on another bike that's due for maintenance, so I'll probably swap that out for awhile while I work on it in a few weeks, but until then, it's a blast in this configuration. Rebuilt New Departure D on the back and an nos ND WL on the front, both blackout, and the second set of wheels I've built. Yeshoney sent it along with blackout cups in the head tube and bottom bracket, which matches nicely. I might swap the rear out for a Morrow blackout hub I have on another bike. I like the way the bars I currently have on it ride, but I'm not sold on the look, so that will probably change a few times as well. Forks will change as well. Cranks and chainring I like, and I'm pretty happy with the seat, though I may restore that or find someone willing to swap for a similar black version, not sure yet.

My wife has chimed in that we should call it the Phantom, which fits, so there it is. Anyway, I'll update this thread as things change, but for the moment, here it is, fresh off the first ride:

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, I hope everyone out there is getting as much enjoyment from their bikes as I'm getting from this one. Seriously, I'm grinning like an idiot just thinking about it. No real changes yet, but here's an updated, clearer shot without all the shadows getting in the way.

20150101_115416_zps06d2444f.jpg

20150215_170005_zpsaxjxrcju.jpg

Some small updates. I've made a couple of seat changes, and I might go back to a long spring, but I'm going to give this one a shot for awhile. A different stem, partly because the first one I had on there was aluminum, and I want an all steel bike, and partly because it brings the bars a couple of inches further back. It's a long frame and I'm a short guy.

I also swapped out the blackout N.D. model D coaster for an n.o.s. blackout Morrow I was lucky to pick up pretty cheaply last year. I had rebuilt the N.D., and it works great, but I know some of these bikes came with a Morrow hub originally, and I like the functionality better as well. The front also has an n.o.s. blackout hub, so it just seemed a better match overall.

Gonna have to paint that seat undercarriage and maybe recover the top with some firmer foam.

Doesn't really look much different, but it's getting to a good place.

Latest posts

Back