1930 Hartford by Westfield - Finally on the Road!!!!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1930 Hartford by Westfield Mfg/Pope

Amazing restoration of the bell....that is just simply beautiful. 8)

sleepy said:
Amazing restoration of the bell....that is just simply beautiful. 8)

Thanks sleepy!!!!!!

Well, I worked on the bell a little more but got called to do another project over at the CABE so it's on hold for a few days. It is a research project to try to list & put dates on all the pre-1933 Corbin & New Departure hubs, particularly coaster brake models so I have put my life on hold for the last 4 days & mostly worked on that research project around the clock (except for my real work last Thursday & Friday). If anybody is interested in seeing that research project or if you are interested in pre-1933 Corbin & New Departure hubs, you can find it with a lot of detail & pics at:

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... post183958

Will try to finish the bell up this coming week!!!!!!! Thanks. - Gary Mc

Wow. Alll the little projects are great for themselves. The whole thing is going to be awesome. Following this is very intersting.

marcus84 said:
Wow. Alll the little projects are great for themselves. The whole thing is going to be awesome. Following this is very intersting.

Thanks marcus84!!!!!

I can't believe I haven't seen your build before :shock:
You sure have amazing attention to detail, WOW!
I really like the way your doing this one :D

MplsCoaster said:
I can't believe I haven't seen your build before :shock:
You sure have amazing attention to detail, WOW!
I really like the way your doing this one :D

Thanks MplsCoaster!!!!!!

Update from Ric at WheelFanatyk is the new Ghisallo Balloon 700 wood 36h carbon fiber lined rims should be in around November 16th. I can't wait, patience is not my best virtue, sometimes.....

Wheel Fanatyk got in the new Ghisallo Balloon 700 wood 36h carbon fiber lined rims and a pair is finally on their way to me. Excited & can't wait!!!!!!! I'll post pics when they arrive. I might get this bike completed before Christmas.

They are Here!!!!!!

The Ghisallo Balloon 700c wood 36hole carbon fiber lined rims I ordered from WheelFanatyk arrived today and they are beautiful!!!!!!! Glad I made this choice and can't wait to see them on the bike. A little hidden high tech for a very old bike....

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

arpicker said:
Any news?

Had to put the Hartford on hold for a month or so as I got another bike in I really wanted to get on the road quickly as it is going to be my main rider to get some much needed exercise. I still should finish the Hartford over the next month. It is back together except the wheels which should get built over the next few weeks when time permits. Here's the new bike:

Late 1950s Girardengo Twin Bar Road Bike - Made in Italy

As received:

IMG_1836_zps094a42a4.jpg

With changes to date:

IMG_1913_zpsd169f1e4.jpg

Man love bikes with twin top tubes 8) This one is no exception.I also have a thing for unique and stylish chainguards.What is this one from :?: I must have one...

Both of these bike OOoooze class :wink:

I bet it would feel great to have someone contact you and tell you where your childhood bike is. Like you're sitting in your living room, thinking about your childhood memories and you think "Hmm,I wonder what ever happened to that old bike?" and then someone sends you a letter and pictures of your old bike! :D

Circa Cycles said:
Man love bikes with twin top tubes 8) This one is no exception.I also have a thing for unique and stylish chainguards.What is this one from :?: I must have one...

Both of these bike OOoooze class :wink:

Thanks Circa Cycles!!!!! I saw the Girardengo & knew I wanted one. I was looking for a road bike to get more exercise on and I saw this & those twin bars just really set it apart for me and love them too. Fortunately for me the one I saw (a CABE member had it who lives in both Rhode Island & Italy) came up for sale. He brings some pretty rare Italian bikes back over from Italy and restores/refurbs them for sale. It is a super rare bike. I can't find anyone who has ever seen one nor could the previous owner. I did find pics of one other one, a pretty rough coaster brake version someone found in NYC. This one originally had a Sturmey Archer 3 speed so the one change I may still make is to upgrade it to a new SA 8-speed internal hub.

The chain guard on the Girardengo is an Ardex Solid. I believe it is a vintage French chain guard but can find very little information on it. I have only seen a couple of others. Velo Orange sells a fairly close reproduction of it as well as a hardware kit to mount both of which unfortunately are out of stock right now. I'm trying to be patient and see if they get more hardware kits in. If not, I guess I'll be fabricating some mounting brackets. Here's the VO versions:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... guard.html

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... -kits.html

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
whoa! that came out great.

Thanks ifitsfreeitsforme!!!!!!

ruddigger said:
That is dripping with class. Are those Electra Amsterdam tires?

Thanks ruddigger!!!!! The tires on the Girardengo are Schwalbe Delta Cruisers which are 700x35c. I am going with cream Electra Amsterdams in 700x40c on the Hartford and already have them if I can get the Ghisallo wheels built to put them on. Getting the wheels together is the last item I have to get the Hartford on the road.

Mikey1399 said:
I bet it would feel great to have someone contact you and tell you where your childhood bike is. Like you're sitting in your living room, thinking about your childhood memories and you think "Hmm,I wonder what ever happened to that old bike?" and then someone sends you a letter and pictures of your old bike! :D

I agree, can't wait to get it back together & send pics to the only 2 remaining Gennard Perotta's of the right age range to see if it is one of those gentlemens' bikes.

Finally on the Road!!!!!!!!

Finally finished building the wheels today & took a maiden voyage with no problems. These Ghisallo wood rims ride "magical"and are just amazing. Still have to rebuild the Persons Siren, finish the bell, and fabricate/locate the remaining parts for the Persons Speedo. Hope to be completed with everything but the speedo this week. Very happy with this bike!!!!!!!

IMG_2040_zpsbe811f5a.jpg

IMG_2028_zps83b57ee7.jpg

IMG_2030_zps5f221b26.jpg

IMG_2032_zps2185d944.jpg

IMG_2034_zps453969e8.jpg

IMG_2035_zps5c18d86c.jpg

IMG_2036_zps9da53595.jpg

IMG_2037_zps36f32031.jpg

Latest posts

Back