Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I picked these up a year and a month ago and just realized I do not have a build thread in here. I spent the last year trying to find parts for this thing, finally gave up last month and just started making parts that would work.

the bottom bracket is the problem, it is not remotely close to any standard. I started with a stronglight type chain wheel and cut this to use as a crashring. I found an odd size set of cups in a German bike that were small enough to fit in here

then i filed a couple of adapter rings to fit in the bottom bracket

polished these up and i finally had a starting point to make it a rider

Last edited:

problem number two, wood wheels and 100 year old hubs 100 year old tires etc do not work with standard hoops. I have one complete unmolested 116 year old bike already no point in having two that no one can ride without an anxiety attack on my part. I built a set of roadster wheels for myself last year that would look the part for this one so they were added so i could use the dyno hub and the three speed

Last edited:

next problem, needs a seatpost nothing fits

I had this useless section of seatpost some one cut for who knows what purpose. I adapted it to work. Spent several hours with calipers digging through frames and found one the correct outside diameter that was a tight fit for the inside diameter to make a nice concentric barrelled post with the correct t.o.c. look

some welding filing polishing cursing later , perfect fit

Last edited:

luckily these I was able to find

this is not normal just sayin

nervex chainwheel, stadion cups, sheffield pedals, christophe clips, sram three speed, dyno hub, schwalbes, dutch hoops, troxel saddle (temporary I need to finish one with a shorter womens frame for this one) cwc seatpost, and columbus bars and stem and collet it is starting to look like a bicycle

now the skirt guard issue, I have some old skirt loops and hate them. None of them look right or remotely resemble the ones for the Amazon so more digging and ratting. I found a pair of forged scissors with a little mod they worked perfectly

waxed cotton cord looks like what was on the bike when i got it a little lacing and braiding later

Last edited:
time to mount the lamp and install a shifter for Kate. i am going to skip the fifty failed attempts to get that done. I have brass trim used for detail work on concourse cars that I finally used for the lamp mount. It was made to fit on the axle. That was not going to happen. The shifter was simpler I only scrapped five or six tries on that one and went with trigger shift. Brass is a real pain to file. just sayin

plus one day it is fully funtionally three speed with dyno powered mounted lamp

Very cool bike and i like the creativeness in getting this bike back on the road. Is that fender original?
Yes, I just needed to repair the crack in it, make a new brace for it and I think I used jacobean and pecan to stain it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Wow...i'm really glad you put 'functional machine' over 'museum-class restoration'-you might have waited a lifetime to get that bike on the road if you hadn't! And that would have been a real shame!

(slides virtual Sasparilla in your direction) :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back