RRBBO13 ♥︎ Blackheart ♥︎

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Blackheart_Logo.png

The starting point is this Murray Monterey.…

000_AsPurchased.jpg

Here’s a photoshop of the planned frame modification…

001_ProposedFrameMod.jpg

It’s appropriate that the start of the build off is in May because I believe the “05-82” on the sticker on the bottom of the seat post suggests this Murray was built May 1982…

002_SeatPostSticker.jpg

I decided to name it Blackheart after Joan Jett & The Blackhearts whose song “I Love Rock ’n’ Roll” was number one at that time ~ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_1982

So, earlier in the year I bought two rear rims with ‘broken’ Sturmey Archer SRC3 hubs.

003_RearHubs.jpg

A few weeks ago I dismantled them and found the broken remains of the bearing cages.

The pile of shrapnel in the middle of this photo is from the first hub dismantled…

004_HubDismantled.jpg

And this is the other one…

005_HubDismantled.jpg

I ordered some parts online, and just as if they knew when the start of the build off was, they arrived today. :angelic:

So my first job will be to reassemble one of the hubs and see if it works.
I’ve never worked on one before so… yeah… should be okay :39:

Here's a couple of close-ups to leave you all in anticipation...

006_Chaingaurd.jpg

007_HeadTube.jpg

Glen.

:)

I like the big space between the top tube and the cantis. That is a little different than the Montereys that I am used to seeing.

Very subtle differences!

Reminds me of the Hocus Focus comics.

That Hocus Focus is very subtle... took me a while to find all the changes.:39:

I want the frame changes to be subtle, but they have to be done because the stock frame is just too small for me, so it needs a touch of stretch.

I like the big space between the top tube and the cantis. That is a little different than the Montereys that I am used to seeing.

Yeah, I like the space created with the small amount of stretch added. I just hope the real thing looks like it does in the photoshop version. :nod:

Glen.

"Is that the finished, or the photo shop version?"
;)

And, if you leave it rusty enough, you might qualify for the OddJob Award for Most Rat-isfying Rust-ified Rat Rod. :nerd:

These are the tyres I got for it a while back...

008_Tyres.jpg

Fat Franks aren't that easy to come by over here and I got them at two for the price of one :dance2:

And I also got this fork that I might use too...

009_Fork.jpg

I worked on the rear hub today and got it back together... hope it works o_O

Glen.

Rock n Roll. Rust never sleeps.

Carl.

I just knew you'd mention Rock n Roll when I put up that video, you're so predictable :giggle:
Yeah, it sure is rusty...

That frame has seen a hard life. How did it even get to NZ?

...had a hard life for sure. I have no idea how it got here, but when it did, it obviously couldn't stand our weather conditions and decided to rust itself to death. :rolleyes:

I tried taking the cranks out yesterday but they are so rusted I gave up and sprayed it with WD40 to soak overnight. The chainring is bent too. :cry:

The frame might just have to get a more robust seeing to than I originally intended... just to teach it a lesson. :aggressive:

Glen.

Since I'm still having trouble removing the cranks from the bottom bracket, and I'm a bit of a Star Wars fan, I thought this would be appropriate for anyone who also might be having some trouble...

View attachment 74429

:nerd:

Glen.
That joke is a bit lost on those of us who are still on the 3rd at this reading.... :21:

On another note, looks like you've got a rusty tiger by the tail there Glen. Hope he doesn't bite back too hard.

That joke is a bit lost on those of us who are still on the 3rd at this reading.... :21:

On another note, looks like you've got a rusty tiger by the tail there Glen. Hope he doesn't bite back too hard.

Ooops... forgot that silly international dateline thing again:blush:

Nevermind, I'm sure some folks who see it on the 3rd will get it and others will see it tomorrow, which will be the 4th for them but the 5th for me, and they might comment about "May the Fourth being with you" and I'll be all like "what are you on about, that was yesterday" and stuff.

:giggle:

Glen.

:dance2:

Success… while another BO13 builder had the crank fall out of the bottom bracket while on a test ride (http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/ratillac.106366/page-2#post-1077230), I managed to finally get my stubborn crank out after attacking it with all manner of implement and amputating the left pedal…

011_Dismantling.jpg

As can be seen in the photo, I also removed the original hubs from the wheels but I don’t think I can save any of the spokes. :giggle:

I then poked the fork steerer in the head tube to see if it will fit and squeezed the rear hub into the dropouts…

012_TestFitForkHub.jpg

The stem’s a bit short but never mind, it’ll keep for something else. The hub fits well. :nod:

The seat post is the next hurdle... it's jammed in there tighter than a tight thing on tight pills. :rolleyes:

Glen.

I like those Monterey frames . I am a bit of a klunker junky & there a good starting point . But I do like where your going with it . Those hubs are going to be sweet [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one came to mind for me when you mentioned rock & roll in 1982 .
I couldn’t find a 82 video but I found a 1983 . Back when this bike shined like a Diamond . Now she gone to rust ,, you got a Diamond in the rough.
Enjoy the vintage metal !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
:dance2:

Success… while another BO13 builder had the crank fall out of the bottom bracket while on a test ride (http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/ratillac.106366/page-2#post-1077230), I managed to finally get my stubborn crank out after attacking it with all manner of implement and amputating the left pedal…

View attachment 74550

As can be seen in the photo, I also removed the original hubs from the wheels but I don’t think I can save any of the spokes. :giggle:

I then poked the fork steerer in the head tube to see if it will fit and squeezed the rear hub into the dropouts…

View attachment 74551

The stem’s a bit short but never mind, it’ll keep for something else. The hub fits well. :nod:

The seat post is the next hurdle... it's jammed in there tighter than a tight thing on tight pills. :rolleyes:

Glen.
Congrats on getting the crank out.
Hopefully mine will stay put.

Glen's going after it again! I see you solved the 'tight spo't that seat post had you in. *seat post pun intended*

Latest posts

Back