♠ RRB WELCOMES 3G BIKES!!!! ♠

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is great news!!! I have had my 3G fr rabout 2yrs now and it is by far the smoothest cruiser I have ridden. Especially for the $$$. I am 6' 8" and was cramped on a Phat, Electra and Felt. The latter two mentioned were even in the $400 range... or more. I have the Venice model, nuttin fancy, 1 piece cranks, steel frame, Slicky-G tires...$250.... Worth every penny.... Great thing is the frame and for will accomidate a 3 inch in front and possibly a 4 in back...Quality all over this thing, and yes not big about the www. on the bike but they were stickers and I still need to get some acetone for the tires, I have also spoke to Gary via email... great Guy. He will sell you parts not listed on the website. Glad to see 3G here at RRB!!!!! Glad to know I won't be the only one with one anymore. :mrgreen:

I have been riding a 3G Newport with the BOAS for 2 years and out of my 40 or so bikes, hands down my favorite. I'm 6 foot 2 and love the riding position more than any other bike. I have put close to a thousand miles on my Newport. So I'm located in Huntington Beach CA go down to the beach cruiser only bike shop to see about getting new BOAS for one of my projects and fell in love with the brand new Newport ( in copper also ). The owner of the store told me the same price of $599 and I was ready to be on my way when he suggested buying a single speed version in the box unassembled. For the whopping price of $300 including tax. Done! I gave him a $100 deposit ran home detailed up my worn out Newport listed it on Craigslist and sold it the next day for $150 ( the kick stand was broke, the tires dry rott, the spokes were very rusty and the chain was rusty ). I had originally purchased my Newport off Craigslist two years previous in this worn condition for $90 from a local college kid who left it outside at the dorm bike locks for some time. Go out and buy one you will love it!
P.S.
It took me 15 minutes to assemble :)

I emailed Gary about the bike on the home page of his site and he said that's a prototype frame that will eventually be a production model.

Twin top tubes are cool. 8)

Rat Rod said:
I emailed Gary about the bike on the home page of his site and he said that's a prototype frame that will eventually be a production model.

Twin top tubes are cool. 8)

Twin top and chrome!!!!
Now if they could through in another set of twin top tubes below that, we might have a 3G Liner!!!!

So what if you aren't tall?

Is this bike totally out of the question?

I'm 5ft 6 and ever since I saw this thing I'm thinking Christmas for me, black on black of course.

Is there a minimum recommended height or?

Standover height is about 32.5 inches.

With the seat slammed it's about 34 inches from the ground to the top of the seat.

Let's just say at 5'9" tall I can sit on the seat when it is slammed and the balls of my feet sit on the ground with my heels still in the air.

I just looked at the picture again, still this is an excellent looking bike, now I'm officially undecided, but still want one, maybe being a leaner isn't so bad.

yoothgeye said:
Vipon said:
I work in a bike shop that sell Phat, Jamis Boss and Giant Simple cruisers. My buddy bought a 3G from the competition and I took it for a spin. I hate to admit it,,, but I loved it. I'm just shy of 6'-3" and it fit like a glove, and rode super smooth.

but here's my problem, the competition that sell these in my town is a surf shop. These guys bolt them together out of the box with a crecent wrench and a pair of pliers. Really not 3G's fault other than they might need to keep an eye on distribution or at least in my town the bikes are going to end up with a bad name. The Surf shop doesnt do repairs so We end up doing simple adjustments.

Like I said,,, love their product. I still try to push potential customers towards our bikes, but if they ask for a 3G I tell them where they can find one.

I hope 3G is listening to this, dealer assembly should be addressed to keep their name intact. I read once that this is one of the main reasons that Schwinn has the name it has today, not that they were necessarily better quality (I don't think they are) but that they had professional assembly where as many department store bikes were put together by dad late at night December 24th in a living room.
Member KansasRollFast owns PorkChoppd Custom Bicycles here in Kansas and sells 3G,s and i have seen this model on his showroom..Excellent!! assembly and support so 3G has at least one Great dealer :D

I just picked up a slightly used Newport without the 3 spd and I love it ! What a great site ! I've had Electra's, Micargi's, and now a 3g and really like their solid build and ride feel....

I found a single speed, and plan on putting a seven speed in it.

3GCooper.jpg

Fun bike, anyone else with the 3" wheels have problems with it rubbing on the chain?

Just bought a 3G today! It's the very basic model, the Isla Vista. It was formerly a rental bike, and I got it for a steal. It has really cool copper rims, but the best part is the 2 speed kickback rear. It alone is worth what I paid for the bike.

I'll get some pictures all over this site soon.

Steve, i know this is a very old thread but was curious if you still had your 3G. If so how is it holding up? I have been looking around at cruisers and have pretty much decided on the 3G, just trying to decide which one. I have narrowed it down to the Santa Cruz, with the two speed kick shift or one of the Newport 3 Speeds. Would love to hear any thoughts you might have on them. Thanks in advance and thanks for this awesome site.

Morris

Last edited:
I'm currently looking at buying a men's Newport & am trying to decide between two bikes. The dealer I'm working with has two left in one speed. Standard Newport graphite on graphite & a Deluxe Newport in Matte Black with Red rims. Both are being offered at $339 plus tax. Being new to this I'd appreciate any advise available. Also, I understand the deluxe has a wider rim. Is this just for aesthetics or are there any true function/ longevity advantages to the wider rims. Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back