☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

[quote="LukeTheJoker
8247832091_5ec898304a.jpg

Luke.[/quote]
Texas Deer Blind!

Funkme said:
Oooooowwww!!!!! I spy lights and guards :wink:
:lol: Not for this build though...
The headlights were so badly rusted that I was only able to make one from the two of them, it will end up on FatBob.

8324591978_76e9a2e141.jpg

8323558337_1361a3097d.jpg

The guards are really rough, it will depend on which way I go with the build if they get used or replaced.
Biggest issue with the is the fact they are for full size truck tires, far bigger than the wheels I will be using.

Luke.

idk why , but that last phrase made me think of an idea that could be cool :idea: : a fender made out a unused tire .. like a cut tire over a hidden steal rod support 8)stealth fenders

That looks like a bike graveyard :lol:
The light looks great,on fatbob...

OneHorsePower said:
idk why , but that last phrase made me think of an idea that could be cool :idea: : a fender made out a unused tire .. like a cut tire over a hidden steal rod support 8)stealth fenders

I have seen this done by a bloke who had a bike shop in the suburb of New Brighton in my home town of Christchurch. It looked great but I don't have any photos. Worth doing though if you want mudguards that are not obvious.

Glen, I'm still down there, pretty sure hes still got it. one of the motorized ones eh?

muddy said:
Glen, I'm still down there, pretty sure hes still got it. one of the motorized ones eh?

Yeah, it had a motor... like most of his bikes. I wish I took photos of them before I left after the quakes... especially his hubless one. Does he still have that? perhaps you could get some photos, or better still, get him to join RRB, if he's not here already hiding in the shadows.

Now back to this build... any updates Luke? Or are you on the road now maybe? :roll:

Glen said:
Now back to this build... any updates Luke? Or are you on the road now maybe? :roll:
Hi all!
Yep, we were on the road! Left early on Thursday morning, stopped for early breakfast at Maccas.

8726757433_14464acdf3.jpg

Was rather foggy for most of the trip.

8726757459_8f515e9390.jpg

Arrived at our destination, my Sisters family, you know my brother in law that I made the chopper for and the adults scooter... Anyway, after a day to recuperate, we got started on the wheels... Cut all the spokes.

8726757525_868c59d234.jpg

Started on the wheel mock up...

8726757487_95c35c3e9e.jpg

Got distracted by the beautiful views from the work area and a couple of beers, so did not get very far.

8726757513_a32c239742.jpg

Steve (my brother in law) has been working on a Huffy Transfer beach cruiser style bike for a while. He bought it new quite a while ago, but it came with those rubbish suspension forks and a sprung seat pole, and he did not like riding it. So anyway, he has been collecting parts to convert it to a non suspended bike...

8727911054_45b100eeed.jpg

We started on working on it, cut the canti brake bosses off and cleaned up the frame, but then I looked in the shed and noticed a little mini bike frame that was in pieces, so I stole the forks off it and mocked them up on it to see what it looked like, Steve loved it so much that he is now building a board tracker instead of a beach cruiser...

8727911076_b228da48c8.jpg

Going to extend the forks and weld on some new drop outs, we modified the original sprung forks headstem to fit the triple tree set up, so with just a little welding we should have a complete front end! Steve has already sourced a coaster brake rear so he can lose the gearset and canti brakes. Add a layback seat post and it is done... Should be a nice uncluttered bike, no cables at all.

We will also be finishing off the adults scooter while we are here.

Luke.

I just love road trips... to me, the journey is often the most fun part. Nice, slow, relaxing drive... stopping every hour or so for a cuppa and to admire scenery... bliss... especially if you are doing it with your brothers on the west coast of New Zealand's South Island... I just made myself sad and missing my brothers :cry:

That wheel looks like it will be a corker 8)

Looks like you'll be busy while you there at your sisters place... but a good kind of busy... your brother-in-law's bike looks great.

Looking forward to more instalments... but in the meantime, there are oodles of other builds to ogle :shock:

Love the views, the spokes, and that WIDE triple tree!!
Have fun!

Cool road build :mrgreen:
You can pick up a lot of goodies on the way... :shock:

those wheels are lookin supa fly

little enquiry
how much do the wheels weigh :p

cant wait for this badboy to take shape

ps.....that old truck light on the bob...phwoar
and fair play to your comment about it takin a backseat - I understand that!

fe

feeblington said:
those wheels are lookin supa fly

little enquiry
how much do the wheels weigh :p

cant wait for this badboy to take shape

ps.....that old truck light on the bob...phwoar
and fair play to your comment about it takin a backseat - I understand that!

fe
I have to admit, those wheels are not light... They are the heaviest ones I have ever done... with the spokes and hubs they will come in at 25 kg each! I think that is around 55 lbs? Very heavy, but at the same time very easy to get rolling due to limited deflection, should not be an issue provided I stay away from mountains, hills, inclines or even small slopes... Going down them should be fun though!

The light on FatBob is very cool, it is one of the big reasons I will finish it!

Did you notice on the first page the 2 chrome lights I had put aside for this build? I am planning on putting them one on each side of the forks down beside the front tire. They will still be narrower than the bars, but it should reinforce the long, wide and low stance I am aiming for....

bean said:
Wheels are starting to look good!

I used one of those Huffy frames for my first crack at a build off - RRBBO4

I checked out your build Bean, very cool, that is the same colour he wants to use too!

We are having fun on the trip, I will try get more photos of the locations, was just that the first leg up here to the Newcastle area was either in darkness or rather foggy...

Progress on the build will be up and down, sometimes there may be no progress for a week, other times there will be updates everyday...

Luke.

can't wait to see the progress hope you post pictures soon!!! :D

Troy

Progress soon, I promise!

In the meantime, here are some pics of the bike I built for my Brother in Law, it was the first custom frame I ever did, quite a few years ago now, made from a 24 inch mountain bike and some left over fence pipe...

8730098321_8bc066f2fd.jpg

Rear web detail, first ever try at one, never even seen another bike with them at that stage, later I found out that even mass produced choppers have them... :(

8730098349_f24babca6e.jpg

I had forgotten about the cool chainring, made from a two speed front with the larger ring cut off and the rivets replaced with stainless hex heads...

8730098375_47576fb3fb.jpg

His nickname is Bruiser, so...

8730098399_88ddcc5baa.jpg

Been working on cars today, servicing, rotating tires etc, so no progress on the bikes, but hopefully tomorrow!

Luke.

Cool pictures, nice place, and great story line :D
Very cool "build within a build", is the Huffy aluminum?
Looks like the wheels are going to be strong enough (gearing is like magic :wink: )
Bruiser's cruiser is a sharp bike
Looking forward to the next installment...

MplsCoaster said:
Cool pictures, nice place, and great story line :D
Very cool "build within a build", is the Huffy aluminum?
Looks like the wheels are going to be strong enough (gearing is like magic :wink: )
Bruiser's cruiser is a sharp bike
Looking forward to the next installment...
Thanks for dropping in Steve!
The Huffy is a steel frame, quite light though, or at least it was! :lol:

Hoping to get on to the wheels tomorrow, did not get to them today, as my lovely niece Gracie, who is the very sharing type, decided to share her flu with me, thankfully it looks like my precautions with medications and the flu shot before the holiday has limited it, so was able to work on the Huffy when Steve got home from work in the afternoon.

We started by lengthening the fork legs and welding some solid dropouts, we also braced under the lower tree mount with steel so the weight of the rider is not held up by just the cheap lightweight aluminium clamps.

8735295810_f7b4ee51b3.jpg

You can also see there the beginning of the layback seat tube. We capped the old seat tube and made it appear that the tube just runs to the corner.

8735295838_920eb8b688.jpg

You can see here in the mock up, the extended rear drop outs that still have to be finished up and braced.

8735295870_c2bc2c0a15.jpg

We decided to try the mock up with a repop Enfield hairpin seat, but decided we will replace that with a more standard seat on the finished bike, just doesn't seem to suit it...

8734196631_1a8e105aed.jpg

More to come tomorrow, hopefully finish up this one to the point of prepping for paint, and weld up the wheels on Loco Joker, hopefully the flu does not make a comeback...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back