★★ The Young American ★★ (DONE!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well here we go :D I am gonna be starting with this 1974 Schwinn frame :wink: I have no idea what it was but because it's painted like the American Flag and Schwinn made an American so, it's a Schwinn Young American :mrgreen: So, young is for me because I'm 13 :p And My donor bike is gonna be a Schwinn chopper that I will be getting in a few days :D I'm trying to get that all american gasser look :mrgreen:
I now present to you The Young American
102.jpg

And my crank, which is currently getting sandblasted :D
103.jpg

Here's some inspiration 8)
flag-drag-vette.jpg

Re: ★★ The Young American ★★

Yeah I'm 13 :mrgreen: Good luck to you too :wink:

I am, that's what make my title :wink:

looks like a good start 8)

Love the flag paint job, circa 1976???? cool ride already.

Don't worry, it's a 1974 :wink:

Cool idea for your bike build! 8) I'm watching to see what you do with the chopper parts.
When I saw the title, I immediately thought of the drag race car by famous custom car builder, Carl Casper. MPC produced a 1/25 scale model kit of the beautiful red, white, & blue dragster back in the day! Search Google images for "Carl Casper Young American" and click on the photo of the car doing a burn-out . . . it's the one on this page at the bottom. . . . http://www.kustomsofamerica.net/carl_casper.htm but the Google image can be enlarged.
Check out the car and you will find an awesome idea for your bike. ( hint-look closely at the right, front wheel. It’s an “engine-turned” aluminum ring and kind of like a partial “Moon disc”. It was used so the cycle wheel would trip the timing lights at the dragstrip!)
Keep up the good work and all the best on yer build!

Re: ★★ The Young American ★★ (Update #1)

Put on my seat and sissy bar today and redid my badge :wink: Also got my conduit for my wheelie bar today (not pictured) :D Hopefully I will be getting my chopper tomorrow and the build will really get moving :mrgreen: Oh yeah, I took the old peeling stickers off and polised up the frame so the paint isn't as dull :wink:
006.jpg

007-2.jpg

Some nice chain with one blue link :mrgreen:
012.jpg

And some freshly painted pedals :p
013.jpg

Re: ★★ The Young American ★★ (Update #2)

Did some work today now that I got my parts :wink: Took the green flames off the triple trees and was gonna mock them up but my stem had a different plan :roll: It was STUCK :x I can't get it out, I tried WD-40, Break-Free. and heating the bottom up. Nothing :| Anyone know of some other ways :?:
Well, here's the forks :wink:
009.jpg

010.jpg

And cleaned some parts :mrgreen:
007.jpg

Re: ★★ The Young American ★★ (Update #3 Mock-up)

Finally got the stem off :shock: I still have to cut it down, probably tonight :D
011.jpg

012-1.jpg

Nice!

Thanks everone :D I'm kinda combining a lot my interests in this build :mrgreen: And I still have to get my tank 8)
Some more inspiration 8)
captain-america-chopper-profile-1.jpg

evelk.jpg

Since you are going in that direction, Have you seen this one? It was my buildoff bike from 2 years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=22189

If you can acquire a Jesse James West Coast Chopper for its parts, Its a stronger front end and its also adjustable as far as the head tube, steer tube length. It will fit anything that a Stingray fork will.

Latest posts

Back