★★ THE BULLET ★★ (UPDATED PHOTOS - 10/12)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0024-2.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

DSC_0027-1.jpg

DSC_0028-1.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

After much consideration I decided to stick with the raw steel look on the frame and shoot a few coats of clear over it. Was able to take it out for a quick spin this evening while the weather was still nice and it rides AWESOME. The 7 speed Nexus with the roller brake is really nice...love being able to freewheel and shift instantly. The frame geometry makes for a very comfortable ride. I still need to make a few adjustments (shorten cables), but overall the bike is pretty much done. Eventually I'd like to lace a set of 80s ARAYA or UKAI 7X style hoops onto the wheels to complete the look.

Here's the parts break down...

- 1955 Schwinn Spitfire Frame
- 80s Diamond Back MX Fork
- Shimano Nexus 7 Hub with Roller Brake
- Felt Quick Brick Tires
- 80s Suntour Bear Trap Pedals
- 80s Tange MX Headset
- Pork Chop BMX 42T Chainring
- 80s Road VX Crank Set
- Brooks B17 Saddle
- 80s Pro Neck II Stem
- AME Tri Grips

Re: ★★ THE BULLET ★★ (55 SPITFIRE COMPLETED)

Doooood.... That thing looks awesome!!! :shock: (total Cali Klunker style... 8) )
That would be a killer bike for one our stainless Panther tanks & a engine!!
vmbstevesbtr1.jpg

Super cool! The 7 speed nexus is a nice added attraction.

Wow, very nice! I am glad you decided to go bare. I think everyone should have at least one raw steel bike in their stable. I'm sold. Until now I didn't know I needed one of these!

The good part about clear over raw steel is that you don't have to worry about scratches or chips. :lol:

It was a little tricky though spraying the clear on...could hardly tell if you missed anything.

man, that looks really cool! 8) looks really comfortable to ride and a great selection of components too! your paint selection couldnt have been more perfect for this bike! :lol: mark/kram is gonna love this one!

If anyone has any of the small chrome brake cable guides that they use on Schwinn Cruiser 5s on the rear chainstays...let me know.

Need to find 3 or 4 of them.

Rat Rod said:
If anyone has any of the small chrome brake cable guides that they use on Schwinn Cruiser 5s on the rear chainstays...let me know.

That is the attention to detail I like about your builds. Those old cable clamps look great. I would of been happy with the zipties.

BTW your rear Valve Stem is crooked. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

texasbigjon said:
man, that looks really cool! 8) looks really comfortable to ride and a great selection of components too! your paint selection couldnt have been more perfect for this bike! :lol: mark/kram is gonna love this one!

Lol. I do like a bare frame! Bike turned out really nice Steve. I just got this one in mail today and will be taking some styling cues from you when I build it up.

porkchop.jpg

very nice steve. gotta come up with a new category of bike though. rocking street tires on a kulnker call it a street klunker or gutter klunker. either way really really nice bet it flies with the seven speed

Sweet. I loves me them Schwinns!

And I think my new favourite colour is...NAKED! :mrgreen:

Thanks everybody :D

Forum member Kevin Murphy (KevinM) is going to hook me up with a couple of sets of his NOS Positron brake cable guide sets so that I can run chrome guides for all of the cables.

Screenshot2011-02-01at33033PM.png

If yall haven't done it before, check out his Ebay store and website to see what other cool stuff he has available. :wink:

http://stores.ebay.com/Bike-Parts-Unlimited

http://www.bikepartsunlimited.net

Latest posts

Back