★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(DONE!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(UPDATE 5-Fork Sanded)

Lookin great buddy! 8)

Re: ★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(UPDATE 6-Everything Sanded)

UPDATE 6

Got my chainguard sanded today :wink: I think I'm done sanding for awhile now that everythings done :shock: A total of 21 hours in sanding! :oops: :eek: I think this will be my first and LAST bare metal bike :roll:

001-1.jpg

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! 8)

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
I think this will be my first and LAST bare metal bike :roll:

I hear ya. I decided to do a bare metal bike this year too and it is turning into a nightmare trying to get this metal to a spot where I'm happy.
What did you do to get to yours to where it is now? I haven't been doing any updates on post because there is nothing new to show just a lot of sanding...
Looking good by the way! Nice chain gaurd, looks good in bare metal.

Well, I used a coarse sandpaper, fine sandpaper, wire wheel, and an even finer wheel :wink: Then I polished the frame with mag and aluminun polish :D

Thanks for the nice guard :mrgreen:

WOW! 21 hours of sanding! My hats off to ya. Should make for a slick un-paint job for sure. :wink: Lovin the chainguard too

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
UPDATE 6
Got my chainguard sanded today :wink: I think I'm done sanding for awhile now that everythings done :shock: A total of 21 hours in sanding! :oops: :eek: I think this will be my first and LAST bare metal bike :roll:
001-1.jpg
Dude, that looks super cool. That 21 hours sure paid off! :D Nice Job!
You may be back to bare metal again, eventually :lol:
Can't wait to see the black mixed into the fork. The chain guard is awesome.

That guard is crazy cool. Nice job on the sanding. That is a lot of hours! :shock:

Man that thing is looking sweet all bare like that!!!! Sharp bike.

Everytime I get tired of the tedious details on my bike, I come and look at this thread and think "I got it easy"! I can see that a bare frame build would require a whole different level of tediousness.

It looks to me like all your work is going to pay off. Good luck, Rg

Thanks for the good feedback! :D I agree that it does look good, but I honestly wouldn't do it again :wink:

mplscoaster-
I can't wait to to put the black on myself :D There will also be black accents on the frame and chainguard as well as the fork :wink:

Now...to get a rear wheel... 8)

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Thanks for the good feedback! :D I agree that it does look good, but I honestly wouldn't do it again :wink:

mplscoaster-
I can't wait to to put the black on myself :D There will also be black accents on the frame and chainguard as well as the fork :wink:

Now...to get a rear wheel... 8)
If Id have realized you where going baremetal id have suggested what I used man.oops
Roloc on a die grinder.

Young'en,
I really have to give you 'props' for the time you've put into this bike so far.
For someone your age (or any age) to be willing to focus on getting that job done, it's commendable.

May I ask one question? It may just be due to my plumpness (and age), but are you replacing the other fork section? I'm just concerned that running just the springer section isn't going to be very safe or last very long. Under stress, it will probably bend/snap on you.

It's your call, I'm just looking out for ya bro!

Keep up the GREAT work!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Young'en,
I really have to give you 'props' for the time you've put into this bike so far.
For someone your age (or any age) to be willing to focus on getting that job done, it's commendable.

May I ask one question? It may just be due to my plumpness (and age), but are you replacing the other fork section? I'm just concerned that running just the springer section isn't going to be very safe or last very long. Under stress, it will probably bend/snap on you.

It's your call, I'm just looking out for ya bro!

Keep up the GREAT work!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks Doc! :D I wasn't going to replace the other part :| Should I? :? Seems kind of strong to me. Either way, I have no idea what to replace it with. If I did, I would want the correct piece. :| All your thoughts are greatly appreciated! :D

Maybe true truss rods could help support it?

I'm gonna have to side with Doc on this one. The springer left alone may possibly pose a danger to life & limb! Kingfish's idea would be a good solution though! Build is lookin great so far!

Re: ★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(UPDATE 3)

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Fork before:
002.jpg

Actually now that I look at the original details of the fork again, I think you are going to be fine as long as you still run the springer bolt and upper bracket.
The springer fork wasn't really providing any additional strength to the entire fork assembly. But it did dampen the stress put on the stationary fork via the spring.
The springer bolt and the top bracket act as a truss rod to the top lower fork section. You no longer need the spring, so you could replace it with a statue of Ganesh or an old Decepticon.

Just my opnion, but I think you are fine.

I will be running the spring :wink: Also, the circular part at the top of the "struts" will be cut off and put on top of the spring. This way I won't have such a big gap without it :D

Thanks for the thoughts :wink:

Back