★★★1975 Stingray Restoration★★★(FINISHED!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hello Friends,

I ran into a deal the other day....two Schwinn Stingrays/$50 each. 8) So I plan to restore one and keep one as it is for show purposes. Both being March of 1975 Stingrays with almost the same exact parts on them.

Here they are...

PA291214.jpg

PA291215.jpg

PA291216.jpg

PA291217.jpg

PA291218.jpg

PA291219.jpg

PA291220.jpg

Re: ★★★1975 Stingray Restoration★★★

Progress Report #1...

I got the bike in a much more manageable state and have all the chrome parts sitting in an OA bath ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37604&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=Oxalic+acid ) to remove all the rust so I can either polish them or get them rechromed. I think re-chroming would be the best bet.

PB011232.jpg

PB011239.jpg

PB011240.jpg

*Reply to subscribe to thread* 8)

I'll be watching this for tips, how-to, future reference, and sheer entertainment. (Mine is a '75, too)

Jimmy the Gent said:
*Reply to subscribe to thread* 8)

I'll be watching this for tips, how-to, future reference, and sheer entertainment. (Mine is a '75, too)
Contgrats!!! Your my first "subscriber" 8)

hey if you wanna send your extras down this way, i would be more than happy to have them!! haha. ive always wanted a Stingray. coolest bike ever! 8)

I guess I should mention that if you end up with leftover parts ;say things to help convert a coaster brake to a 5-speed, I'm in. :wink:

Yeah, sign me up! I'll be happy to provide any info I can help with and otherwise I will just sit back and enjoy the resto thread.

I'm guessing someone had twins born about, oh, 1966? :)

--Rob

I'll be watching this one for sure! 8) Good luck :wink:

Re: ★★★1975 Stingray Restoration★★★(Bling Bling)

Thanks to my friends at Dallas Plating, I now have shinny new parts for the Stingray...(Which is undergoing a paintjob that will end up being a Christmas present for me from my grandfather (DonOne)). They always give me a good price over there at Dallas Plating. Something about old Stingray parts coming into the shop just makes him want to be generous and cut me a deal!

So far this restoration has been very in expensive. Maybe I will even spend less than the overall value of the bike, but im not selling this one. This will be one to pass onto the grandkids. Imagine the value then. :wink:

PC081288.jpg

PC081290.jpg

PC081291.jpg

PC081292.jpg

Xcruiser said:
roughly how much was it for replating the chrome parts?
I got a deal, but was told that It would be about $275 to get every chrome part on my Stingray re chromed. Not counting wheels. :?

WOW :shock:

That looks nice 8)

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Those are pretty enough to make me want to buy them dinner! :mrgreen: WOOO!!!
Your going to have to come over to the garage soon and hang out!

wish chroming wasn't so expensive..
how much for the rims too?

Applying the decals to my Sunset Orange 5 speed 77 as we speak,luckily my chrome was ok.275.00 for rechrome is TONS cheaper than replacing parts.Thanks for the info!!!!
775speedorange004.jpg

Latest posts

Back