●●● TRUE TORCH 26" WEBCO PRO CRUISER ●●● FINISHED!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I know what you're thinking...this isn't a Rat Rod Bike....well, you're right....it isn't. :lol:

What it is though is a VERY COOL product offered by one of our new site sponsors, "Johnny True Torch." Johnny Severin is an expert welder out of Santa Ana, California who used to race pro BMX back in the late 70s for companies like FMF, Webco and S&S. Johnny owns True Torch Welding and over the past year or two he has been hand building a line of 26" looptail chomoly BMX cruiser frames and forks that capture the spirit of 70s and 80s BMX bikes.

This past Friday I had the privilege of receiving a 26" Webco Pro frame and fork set from Johnny along with his double clamp stem, cruiser bars and seat post. The quality of his work is pretty amazing. Everything came packed professionally and it felt like Christmas morning opening it all up. The attention to detail and craftsmanship of the parts is one of the first things you'll notice. From the "True Torch" logo being stamped into the drop outs of the frame and fork to the welds and powder coating, it's obvious that Johnny has spent many many hours developing his product line.

He offers four different frame designs and two fork designs. You have your choice of several finishes including candy blue and red as well as nickle plated. He also carries a line of anodized 26" cruiser wheel sets to help finish your project.

Johnny True Torch
2291 S Grand Ave
Santa Ana, CA 92705
(714) 662-0112
[email protected]
http://truetorch.com/bikes4.html

Here are the parts that I received from Johnny...

_DSC0003.jpg

Yesterday I headed out into the garage to start assembly on the bike. I tried to scrounge together what I could to get things going. Unfortunately I had to fake the headset for now so I could mock it up. I've got a 3 piece crank set up on order along with a chainring, spider and set of pedals. For those who are interested, the Pro frame has a 21.5" top tube length with an 18" seat tube.

I used a set of 90s era Dyno Cruiser wheels with a Japanese Shimano coaster brake hub and a Joy Tech sealed front hub. The tires are 26" x 2.125" Felt Quick Bricks with the logos removed.

_DSC0015.jpg

_DSC0027.jpg

_DSC0029.jpg

_DSC0016.jpg

_DSC0008-1.jpg

_DSC0021.jpg

_DSC0020.jpg

_DSC0010.jpg

_DSC0012.jpg

_DSC0019.jpg

_DSC0018.jpg

_DSC0017.jpg

_DSC0013.jpg

_DSC0025.jpg

_DSC0024.jpg

_DSC0030.jpg

_DSC0033.jpg

_DSC0034.jpg

_DSC0036.jpg

_DSC0026.jpg

_DSC0031.jpg

Here's a big screen slide show for better detail...

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m130 ... =slideshow

Stay tuned for more updates as parts arrive. :D

Re: ●●● TRUE TORCH 26" WEBCO PRO CRUISER ●●●

Here are Johnny's other two frame designs...

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

A few shots of Johnny ridding back in the day...

Extracrap827.jpg

Extracrap823.jpg

Extracrap819.jpg

minipic3.jpg

Such a nice mix of old and new styling. This should be a great rider when done.

VERY COOL FRAME ! back in 1979 i bought a webco frame 20' it was the first frame i had ever bought with my own money it had tuff wheels with astrabula cranks forks and gooseneck fmf gold bars and seat post great bike i still wish i had it,oh yeah the frame color was red!

Steve, that is awsome. like the colors on it. I know when you get it done it will look even better. thanks for showing it.

Outlaw 8)

Always happy to see new sponsors on the site. Steve, you have my mailing address for when you're done with that bike right?

Wow, that's nice! :D Looks like a great quality frame 8)

That bike is awesome. Thanks for sharing the photo's with us. I really like the
looks of the bike. That orange looks amazing, which by the way is my favorite color.

What did you use to remove the logos from the tires? I bought a pair and the supplier sent 2 different logos

Tim

bikejunky said:
What did you use to remove the logos from the tires? I bought a pair and the supplier sent 2 different logos

Tim

Acetone and a rag and A LOT of elbow grease.

im not into larger bikes that much but these frames look sweet, i like the orange looptail and the red frame the best.. pretty sweet bikes :)

I really like the frames, I was browsing around their site a couple days ago, it's kinda strange having to add them to your cart to see what the cost is but I'm guessing it's a newish website with some kinks to iron out. I look forward to the rest of the review/build!

Yeah...Johnny isn't web savy. He's got a friend who set up the site for him.

I'd suggest calling him during the afternoon to get more info.

I think his frame sets are also out on the BMX Museum.

I love what he is doing with tributes. Made in USA. I plan on one some day. Nice welding.

Looks like something on the rear dropout, but I've been wondering, are these numbered? Sure would be great if they are, and well documented as well.

●●● TRUE TORCH 26" WEBCO PRO CRUISER ●●●

I believe that it's the number 060 and also "Made in U.S.A."

I need to ask Johnny what his system is.

Re: ●●● TRUE TORCH 26

Rat Rod said:
I believe that it's the number 060 and also "Made in U.S.A."

I need to ask Johnny what his system is.

Good idea, I can see some beach cruiser forum or "old school" bmx forum in 20 years, someone posting "What is this Webco frame I just found and what year is it?"

Latest posts

Back