RRBBO13 ▬▬ ► Edward Teacher ◄ ▬▬ DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That has a cool mean look to it so far.
Love the fat knobbies.

Very pleased that my son is becoming very hype about this build. He was the one asking today if we could get out and build after his swim team practice. So, out to the shop we went.

Wondering what it’s like where you’re building. I’m in northeast North Carolina and I just packed up the shop at about 8:45pm and it’s 71 degrees (f) outside.

Anyway, first things first, time to weld the 1” steer tube into the triple tree.

4d06b81647293689d963c29e4f21e5ae.jpg

Then I had to weld a 1” keyed washer into the top plate so there wouldn’t be any slop.

e95776d4713c962dcbf6860be7bea20e.jpg

I sent my son into the seat post collection looking for the right size post (I decided not to reuse the old bolt) and laughed as he brought me the wrong size post over and over, I knew I had small ones in there.

Once he found it I sent him for a spacer, if you’re not familiar with this trick to fitting a more modern size seat clamp on an older post, here it is.

e980cffc61a2e4ab755a3346e3e0f62b.jpg

Then a quick cut with the cut off wheel and...

15662484dd0265e40b8c3776e2174da8.jpg

I will weld it later on, though if you were comfortable really tightening it down hard, you could possibly get away without welding, though I’ve had them slip before.

One thing I hope my son learns from this build is patience. He really wants to finish, but I was trying to explain mocking up and looking at the bike and letting it speak to you, regardless, I threw more parts at it to help his vision.

First he wanted to try tall bars, the quill stem is just for mock-up, I will be using the double clamp on the triple tree.

8c73f02a9f16d8c49b577dd1d4dbd11a.jpg

Then a little shorter.

6f4a01cdb0767ca37f432e5ef799e3a5.jpg

(Apologies for blur, my phone isn’t focusing we’ll taking landscape photos)

Then even shorter.

51a78dd9d398ca9aa136c9c3bf6c02e3.jpg

The lower the bars the better I liked it, but we have a long time for bar decisions.

Here’s a better look at the tire width, it’s a close for it front and back.

f241d94949b24a72fb94f187511393a4.jpg

These are 20x2.80

Then it was time to tuck it away for the night.

c12774b9d9d1289106985f695981221e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great kick off. Glad you are in this year.
You could always find some white rubber paint,and paint the whitewalls in...

Sounds like you are being a good build sensei to your boy. You gotta listen to the build. Jake would be proud.

A great kick off. Glad you are in this year.
You could always find some white rubber paint,and paint the whitewalls in...

I’m not dead set on whitewalls, just thinking about it for now. Maybe I’ll get some of those white letters and go that route, it’s a lot of sidewall to fill.

Took today off from building. I did ride my bike to school today, come to find out I bent my fork in the Christmas parade and the bottom bearing is seizing up, which is pretty scary when you’re up that high. I’m just gonna build another fork.

dc008a327682fc6d946f5465122d20fc.jpg

Nice addition of literary doodads to the title.

How do you get on and off of that? How much harder is it to keep your balance?

It's easier to keep your balance than a regular bike, I just rode one to school today because our students had "Walk or Bike to School Day" mounting and dismounting is easy once you learn it.

I'm digging it with them low bars! Looks mean

Yeah, I’ll be keeping it low and aggressive looking. You gotta be careful with little bikes that you really watch the proportions.

I built another 20” bikes years ago for a different build off, took a 2nd place with it because I kept the proportions right and many people didn’t realize it was a 20” bike until the end of the build.

d86a33ae829708da2fb209f340b69e3d.jpg

We haven’t been building lately, the weather’s been great and we’ve been riding.

Latest posts

Back