█ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TWINFLEX SPACELINER BUILD THREAD - Aug8 - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found this photo on the "good ole interweb" of me on Flexy during last years Midnight Garden Ride.
I hope they are ready for Firewing this year.

7933816950_fe323d6543_o.jpg

Hi, I've just read the whole 104pages ...superb thread , superb bike.
Can I ask a question ? You use a pool all on the bottom of your kickstand , after a year or so of regular use , how is the pool all standing up ? Is it worn away ? Or is it still fine . When the stand is up , and the bottom of the ball is visible , is it still clean , or scratched to heck ?
I ask because I've just ordered a pool ball for the kickstand on my cruiser .... An idea inspired by your build . :wink:

Catfoodrob said:
Hi, I've just read the whole 104pages ...superb thread , superb bike.
Can I ask a question ? You use a pool all on the bottom of your kickstand , after a year or so of regular use , how is the pool all standing up ? Is it worn away ? Or is it still fine . When the stand is up , and the bottom of the ball is visible , is it still clean , or scratched to heck ?
I ask because I've just ordered a pool ball for the kickstand on my cruiser .... An idea inspired by your build . :wink:

You are a patient man CFR!!!! :D
Glad you like Flexy. She was a blast and a challenge to build, but I couldn't be happier. Even after a year I love riding it.
The pool ball is still holding up well. It's definitely scratched on the bottom, but to be honest I have never really noticed. I'll take a closer look later. In the end, it's a kickstand on a rat bike that's a rider. It should be scratched up.

Re: Flex{\\\}Liner 7 TwinFlexSpaceliner 6/23 Maiden Voyage

I also decided to work on the 1940s Snyder built Hawthorne beehive springer fork. Seems like a pretty unique style. The rocker arms are actually inside of the big fat fork blade ends. There is a vertical hole cut in the blades that the axle travels in. The problem that found was if you tighten down the nuts, then the springer fork is squeezed against the regular fork blade. My plan is to make it so when you tighten down the nuts it clamps the springer fork to the rockers and axle and leaves some room between the fork blad and the springer fork.

WP_001946.jpg

I took about eight 3/8 washers and ground them off on two sides.

WP_001941.jpg

Then I used some foil tape to hold them alligned together

WP_001945.jpg

WP_001944.jpg

Then slid them on the axle and tightened down.

WP_001947.jpg

Popping this to the end of the thread for abqpropguy to reference on his springer.

Re: █ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TwinFlexSpaceLiner 6/30 Springer Fork Spacer

Picked up a lot of nuts and bolts and stuff at HD last night.

I am still experimenting with proper axle spacers for this unusual springer fork. The ground down washer were a bit rough and I think they were rotating and binding some.

WP_001947.jpg

Picked up some 3/8 nylon nuts to try. It is a better thinkness as far as keeping the springer fork off of the big fork. There is plenty of space and I shouldn't have to worry about the wheel moving forward and back because of the interior rocker arms. We'll see.

WP_002012.jpg

WP_002011.jpg

Popping this to the end of the thread for abqpropguy to reference on his springer.

Just found this pic that someone took from the Savannah Bicycle Campaign Midnight Garden Ride 2012.
7933668296_a4425f82b8_b.jpg

Flexy is still going strong. I entered it in a local bike show back in March and took first place. I forgot to post up these pics.

10985283_1128814267144791_1375513570990603111_o.jpg
11088356_1128452727180945_1361546977321705265_o.jpg

Back