█ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TWINFLEX SPACELINER BUILD THREAD - Aug8 - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FlexLiner?? - MO FATTA MO BETTA 5/16 New Name

Peatbog said:
Jet lag. Hmmm...

Hey Kingfish, Peatbog and myself just figured out your final build name... use it or you forfeit our votes for you. :wink:

Jet Lag definitely describes how I am feeling, but it doesn't matchup with the build at all.

I am really excited at building my own TwinFlex Spaceliner. Stay tuned.

karfer67 said:
alright i see way way too many ideas. go get yourself a 12 pack and get to work already lol. love that springer i have one too that will one day go on my 41 elgin

Great to see you karfer! The reason for the delay is that I was on vacation in Southeast Asia drinking some wimpy asian beer. I just got home 2 days ago and I am ready to pop the top of some dark strong American craft brew.

Has anyone ever tried making a TwinFlex rear end on RRB? I can't find one. I am pretty stoked about giving it a shot on my Spaceliner. Work begins this weekend.

Albert Einstein on Jolt Cola ... that is what crosses my mind when reading this thread. Very cool build!

Bill

Re: MeteorLiner???? - MO FATTA MO BETTA -5/15 Initial thoughts

kingfish254 said:
Peatbog said:
That is a double cool idea :!:*

You know if you and Jake ever got together and built a bike, you could probably freak out the entire world.

*Double cool is, of course, twice as cool as just a plain old regular cool idea. And I don't throw out "double cools" just willy nilly either.

Thanks Peat. I think the world has to evolve a little more before they would be ready for Jake and Brian mega build. If we did one now, it would just blow everyone's mind's like a hippie at Woodstock!
We probably wouldn't get any work done drinking and rocking! It would be a great build with his brain and my butterknife. So cue up CD Bands " Devil went down to Georgia" and be like Aerosmith and Dream on !! GTB!! Welcome Back Mr. Ratter! Peace

I think right now this build should be called Flatliner. :lol: :wink:

yoothgeye said:

I agree with you on that. So far nothing but brain wave activity. I gots to gets my hands dirty!!!!!!!!!

yoothgeye said:
he aint much further ahead k254

Re: FlexLiner - MO FATTA MO BETTA 5/16 TwinFlex Spaceliner

While I was drawing up how to attach the MeteorFlite rear to my Spaceliner, I remembered the Huffman TwinFlex that Double Nickel was going to buy for the Build Off. That's when it hit me. Hey, I can just build my own version of a TwinFlex rear suspension.

For those of you that haven't seen a TwinFlex, here is the one that DN was looking at:

twinflex1.jpg

twinflex2.jpg

I don't know the whole history of them, but they were made in 1939. The great thing is that one of the local bike shops has one of these babies on display, so I can just ride down there and put my hands and eyballs on just how the rear suspension works. This is going to be FUN!!!!!

WP_001053.jpg

your builds are always one off.. crazy cool . cant wait to see what you come up with ... my build off bike is in a pile of parts
in the living room ..(not married) ... not sure I am gonna do one.. or not .. but have fun looking at all the great builds being
posted up now... I am in the middle of a cafe racer .. and a panel bus ..

Henry morgan said:
your builds are always one off.. crazy cool . cant wait to see what you come up with ... my build off bike is in a pile of parts
in the living room ..(not married) ... not sure I am gonna do one.. or not .. but have fun looking at all the great builds being
posted up now... I am in the middle of a cafe racer .. and a panel bus ..

Thanks Henry, I appreciate the compliments!

JUMP ON IN!!!!! You will regret it if you don't!!! If you think it is fun now, wait until the last month of the Build Off. Last year was my first Build Off (and my first ever build). I waited until the last 30 days to even enter. Forget everything else your in the "middle of", you really NEED to be in the "middle of" RRBBO7!!!!!!!!

Re: FlexLiner - MO FATTA MO BETTA 5/17 Actual work

Finally did some actual work on my build. I mounted a tire!!!! Yipppeeee!
I removed the whitewall from my 24" wheel and cleaned the rim up and then mounted one of the 24x3 Creme Thick Bricks.

Easy enough right? Well, I am using the existing 24x2.25 tube and wasn't watching the tire bead close enough as I pumped it up. All of a sudden the tube popped out on one side. Guess I really am rusty.
20120517-WP_001502.jpg

No problem though, just let the air out and started over while periodically making sure the tire bead was seated well.
20120517-WP_001503.jpg

That's it. That's all I have for an update, but at least it finally a real update rather than an brainwave update. I don't have my Spaceliner, MeteorFlite, or Beehive at my house right now and it is a bit late to head over to my stash to pull things out and bring them home.

Re: FlexLiner MO FATTA TwinFlex Spaceliner 5/17 Actual Work

looks like its time for the kindergarden cop reference. . . "Its not a tumor! :x " haha :lol:

bighit said:
Love the tube shot, you only do that once. Scares the heck out of you. :shock:

It actually didn't make much of a noise at all.

bighit said:
Just make sure it's sturdy enough so you don't get wheel flop.

Yeah, and another thing I need to keep in mind is play in the chain. I may need to use a chain tensioner.

Or, instead of using the IGH SA5, Maybe I could lace up a 24" rim to the hub from my 79 Spitfire 5. It has an Atom Drum Brake on it, which would be pretty cool as well.
SchwinnSpittfire5avatar.jpg

deezenuts said:
looks like its time for the kindergarden cop reference. . . "Its not a tumor! :x " haha :lol:

I love that "tooo mahh" line.

tin machine said:
hey thats a great idea the first fullsuspension bike 1939 , how cool is that you get some vote if you pull thay off my man ,,,yeah baby :!: :!: 8) 8)

Thanks Tin, There are definitely more than a few factors to consider, but I think I can make it happen. Not that you really need suspension when you are riding on 24x3 tires, but there is the "CUZ I CAN" coolness factor.

Ahhh, KIng, I bought a bunch of parts to build my version of a twinflex (well a faux twinflex), didn't realize you were headed in this direction. It's a double spring version. If it will step on your toes I'll back off of it, your call...

Rg

raggedjim said:
Ahhh, KIng, I bought a bunch of parts to build my version of a twinflex (well a faux twinflex), didn't realize you were headed in this direction. It's a double spring version. If it will step on your toes I'll back off of it, your call...

Rg

Don't even consider backing off! Go for it!!! There are multiple home grown real and faux front springers and I never get tired of seeing them. No reason why rear springers should be any different. I look forward to seeing what your take on the idea turns out to be.

Latest posts

Back