█ Flex★Liner⑦ █ TWINFLEX SPACELINER BUILD THREAD - Aug8 - SOLD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Clown is Back - MO FATTA MO BETTA -5/15 Initial thoughts

Things may change after I lay my frames and parts out, but here is the idea that is roaring in my head right now.

Spaceliner frame
IMAGE_347.jpg

Old Beehive springer (I don't think I can flip that springer fork without the beehive hitting the head tube)
Photo_D746E0DD-A26C-6E53-7990-FC1211CEAB9C.jpg

I plan to run some of the 24x3 creme Thick Bricks in the back . Up front, it will either be another Creme Thick Brick or a Creme Fat Frank (26") (The color and tread match are pretty good).
WP_001205.jpg

I have the 24" chrome wheelset that I used on BEER RUN, and I have this SA 5 Speed hub that I bought here. I plan to lace this up to the rim.
DSCI0413.jpg

I think I can incorporate the SA shifter into this twin tube shifter (which I want to mount on one of the lower sets of twin tubes and of course change the shifter arm/knob).
IMG_5333-1.jpg

IMG_5334-1.jpg

Based on other people that have put fat tires on Spaceliners, I am pretty sure I will either have to widen the rear or extend the drops. To me, it ain't a Spaceliner without those pointy drops, so I started looking around my Fresh Finds to see if I had any Murrays, I could sacrifice and I remembered the early 60s ladies Meteor Flite that I found.

WP_001196.jpg

It has the pointy drops and I figure I can cut the bottom chainstay a few inches forward, flatten it, drill it, and bolt it onto the Spaceliner frame. Also check out the twin tubes that start a couple of inches above the drops and become the twin tops for the ladies frame.
WP_001197.jpg

I love the flow of all of the twin tubes of Spaceliners, so why not have even more twin tubes???

The Chrome on the Spaceliner is in good shape, so I don't want to weld on it. I will find someway of bolting and blending the Meteor Flite chainstays to the Spaceliner chainstays.

I will cut the Metor Flite twin tops out and I know they would be too short to make it all the way to the Spaceliner headtube, so I am thinking I will either leave them floating or maybe give them a sweeping downward curve and attach them to the downtube like other canti's. I may end up mounting the twintuve shifer on this set of tubes.

I woutd end up painting the Meter Flite pieces an accent color.

Can you guys picture this? I know that it is all in my head right now, but I had to put it down to work it out.

MeteorLiner???? - MO FATTA MO BETTA -5/15 Initial thoughts

I have a few wraparound tanks, so I could incorporate one of those to continue the flow of the lower twin tubes. The top twins compliment the downtube and this would add a mirror compliment to the second set of Spaceliner twin tops.

Maybe something roughly like this. The MeteorLiner.

MeteorLiner.jpg

MeteorLiner???? - MO FATTA MO BETTA -5/15 Initial thoughts

Wraparound tank won't work with the Beehive springer, but one of the half-wrap tanks might. I will work something out. It's all in my head at this point anyway.

Re: MeteorLiner??? - MO FATTA MO BETTA -5/15 Initial thoughts

I always thought that metalic green would be a good accent to the Spaceliner chrome. I may end up using the fat fenders from this Emory (or it's female twin).
I have some cool plans for my fenders that I dreamed up in the nose of a 747 flying from Kuala Lumpur to Taipei.

WP_001038.jpg

Re: MeteorLiner?? - MO FATTA MO BETTA 5/15 Initial thoughts Pg 4

Glad ya made it back safe B! I know y'all had a blast.Great plans but don't give it all away! Catch up then catch up and ... GTB!!

I made my last international trip in 2010, to the Philippines, seems like yesterday and I can't wait to get back.

You have one of the first Emorys there, handmade with Ashtabula forks, probably made in 76 or 77. All the others I've seen have chrome fenders.

Wildcat said:
I made my last international trip in 2010, to the Philippines, seems like yesterday and I can't wait to get back.

You have one of the first Emorys there, handmade with Ashtabula forks, probably made in 76 or 77. All the others I've seen have chrome fenders.

The Phillipines is on our shortlist for a future trip.

Thanks for the Emory info. I'll build it out someday as well.

Jake Sensi said:
Glad ya made it back safe B! I know y'all had a blast.Great plans but don't give it all away! Catch up then catch up and ... GTB!!

You know me Jake, I can't give it all away, because even I don't know what I will end up doing until I do it (or find it)!!!!! :p 8) Remember the big twist on BEER RUN last year when I found another skateboard, a car steering wheel, and a chandelier tube at a yard sale?

Re: MeteorLiner???? - MO FATTA MO BETTA -5/15 Initial thoughts

kingfish254 said:
Wraparound tank won't work with the Beehive springer, but one of the half-wrap tanks might. I will work something out. It's all in my head at this point anyway.
do the wrap around an sell me the beehive now that's problem solving

big kountry said:
kingfish254 said:
do the wrap around an sell me the beehive now that's problem solving

That's what I like about RRB. People helping people.
I'll send the invoice in the mail so keep an eye out for it.

C.O.D is fine also jus keepin it real

big kountry said:
C.O.D is fine also jus keepin it real

LOL, I am just glad that Peatbog and I aren't the only clowns in this circus. :p

kingfish254 said:
Based on other people that have put fat tires on Spaceliners, I am pretty sure I will either have to widen the rear or extend the drop.

I just depends on how fat you wanna go. I put 2.3" Kenda Kiniptions on my wifes' flightliner without interference. They were 24" wheels, but you've already mentioned that's what you're running in back.

donesuper1.jpg

tin machine said:
hey man looking good !!!!!!!, if you decide oo part withthose emorys let me know peace. welcome back !!!

Thanks TIn, I will definitely look you up if I decide to relase them into the wild.

Peatbog said:
That is a double cool idea :!:*

You know if you and Jake ever got together and built a bike, you could probably freak out the entire world.

*Double cool is, of course, twice as cool as just a plain old regular cool idea. And I don't throw out "double cools" just willy nilly either.

Thanks Peat. I think the world has to evolve a little more before they would be ready for Jake and Brian mega build. If we did one now, it would just blow everyone's mind's like a hippie at Woodstock!

loudboys said:
kingfish254 said:
Based on other people that have put fat tires on Spaceliners, I am pretty sure I will either have to widen the rear or extend the drop.

I just depends on how fat you wanna go. I put 2.3" Kenda Kiniptions on my wifes' flightliner without interference. They were 24" wheels, but you've already mentioned that's what you're running in back.

Loud, Thanks for the input. Mine will be 24" wheels but the tires are 24" x 3" Thick Bricks, so a little wider than your 2.3" tires. I'll just have to mount one of these bad boys and see what kind of clearance I need. For a few differnt reasons, I am kind of diggin' my idea of blending the Meteor Flite frame into the Spaceliner, so I may just go that route regardless.

You asked how fat do I wanna go. You know the answer to that question (just look at Fugsley). MO FATTA MO BETTA

Re: FlexLiner?? - MO FATTA MO BETTA 5/16 New Name

Man, I can't wait until I get to building.
I just had another idea that may make me change the name to FlexLiner.

I still plan to use the back end from the MeteorFlite, but I will cut off the long twin tops. Depending on a lot of factors, I am thinking of attaching the MeteorFlite rear to the Spaceliner in a Huffman TwinFlex fashion. I will probably have to weld on the Spaceliner, but if this looks and functions the way I want it to, it will be worth burning a little chrome.

Re: FlexLiner?? - MO FATTA MO BETTA 5/16 New Name

alright i see way way too many ideas. go get yourself a 12 pack and get to work already lol. love that springer i have one too that will one day go on my 41 elgin

Latest posts

Back