█ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found some old photos (from last year) of my headlight, it's an old surplus blackout light. Has German and French on it (I think):

IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

I have 2 of these. They were mad for motorcycles, I wish I had kept the original directions... but I didn't speak the language. :oops:

Ein=ON
Aus=OFF

I never seen such Headlights
I'am very interessted how they work and look on your Bike!

Greetings from Germany

Ralf

okay you got a head start but thats okay if I can come up with a name I'll get sarted I do like the route your headed (P.M) me so I can get that part sent to ya an we'll work the trade out later I may need a bale out

Critter1 said:
I see the light!! :D That really is a cool light! I'm using a reverse light off a 40s Dodge.

Very cool!

RAEburge said:
Ein=ON
Aus=OFF

I never seen such Headlights
I'am very interessted how they work and look on your Bike!

Greetings from Germany

Ralf

Thank you Ralf! The light shines out under the "hood" and only lights up the ground in front of the light. If you look straight at the light you don't see any bright light, so the enemy had a harder time to see you coming.

big kountry said:
okay you got a head start but thats okay if I can come up with a name I'll get sarted I do like the route your headed (P.M) me so I can get that part sent to ya an we'll work the trade out later I may need a bale out

Thanks man, I'll get you covered.

Went by my old house this morning and picked this up. I've got some ideas, but first I gotta hit that little button on the bottom and see what happens. This thing is heavy!

shell.jpg

Peatbog said:
Hey, you got that Flying Tiger art done yet? I'm waiting to see that. :mrgreen:

Hopefully, the German headlight and the Flying Tiger graphics won't get in a fight. You don't need a war going on while you are building the thing.
Peatbog said:
Hey, you got that Flying Tiger art done yet? I'm waiting to see that. :mrgreen:

Hopefully, the German headlight and the Flying Tiger graphics won't get in a fight. You don't need a war going on while you are building the thing.

Yeah, there might be some contraversies, but this will be an ally project in the end.

Oh yeah, time to take out the heavy artillery :p

Good luck Justin, maybe we'll beat GSC! :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:

Don't worry, we have him just where we want him!

As for the shell, either a "tank" or a sidecar accessory, just wondering whether to side mount it or have it "frenched in" sticking out.

Anybody know where I can get some cheap machine guns?

yoothgeye said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:

Don't worry, we have him just where we want him!

As for the shell, either a "tank" or a sidecar accessory, just wondering whether to side mount it or have it "frenched in" sticking out.

tank for sure

yoothgeye said:

Build some! Metal box with some pipe for a barrel and a bar-end grip to hold on to. I've seen your pile.....plenty of fodder!!!

brett4christ said:
yoothgeye said:

Build some! Metal box with some pipe for a barrel and a bar-end grip to hold on to. I've seen your pile.....plenty of fodder!!!

Kind of what I was thinking and it's more my style to build than to buy. Steel tube inside larger diameter steel tube with holes drilled all through it. Done.

Gold Street Customs said:
Lookout boys, just received my box of ACME bike parts,,,,,,,

I sent you the one that says "TNT" it stands for Totally Neat-O Tank, use a match to see into the dark box.

Skipton said:
This will be a fun one to watch.

NOW GET TO BUILDING! PEACE!

Thanks Skipton, I can't wait to get home tonight and start measuring and cutting steel for the sidecar. What I am not looking forward to is making paint stick to the chrome.

Peatbog said:
Dude! You've got three pages already and we aren't even one day into this thing. You're gonna run out of space.

Anyway, git to cuttin'. This sidecar thing is going to be freaking cool.

Thanks man, going home in a few minutes to start cutting up my "crates" for the sidecar... you'll see. 8)

OK, I came home and started getting some stuff arranged, the first thing I needed to do was grab some steel I've been holding onto and take it over the shop to start cutting up for the sidecar. These 2 "pallets" are a 4-wheeler crate. A friend of mine works at the local Honda shop, most of the shipping crates they use nowadays are crap, but someone ordered a non-stock ATV and it came in this:

SAM_0620.jpg

(That's my 5 year old, he's helping me)

Next I dug around in the shop and found some surplus for the bike:
SAM_0621.jpg

These are just 2 of 5 ammo cans I have to work with, the green bag that says "U.S." on the right side is just some backpack I bought over 10 years ago in Big Lots for $4. The other thing, well, that's a parachute harness that would attach to cargo being dropped.

I bought this back in college, in '98 I think, they accidentally sent me 2. It's got lots of cool buckles and straps and heavy canvas. The red knob, I think that will be used on the passenger brake lever. (is anyone paying attention?)
SAM_0625.jpg

Most of my work will be done in front of the shop outside, because once the sidecar is attached, there will be no having it upstairs.
SAM_0627.jpg

(The Huffy is a friends, I am cleaning it up, he bought it for his wife.)

This isn't going to work for me I don't think:
SAM_0628.jpg

Then it thundered and this happened.
SAM_0630.jpg

It's ok, rain is good.

REALLY digging this one Justin! Will the cartridge fit on the downtube, pointing up towards the 'web'? What if you cut the top tube and 'frenched' the cartridge in there?

Wait, would that violate the 'no frame mods' rule?

Keep up the good work and the good 'tude!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
REALLY digging this one Justin! Will the cartridge fit on the downtube, pointing up towards the 'web'? What if you cut the top tube and 'frenched' the cartridge in there?

Wait, would that violate the 'no frame mods' rule?

Keep up the good work and the good 'tude!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks for the compliments Tank, I think I'm going to incorporate it onto the side of the sidecar in front of the wheel, I think anything done with that cartridge and the frame will take away from the nice lines on it.

Latest posts

Back