█ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 5/10 This little light of mine pg13

Diggin the light. I have photos of the restored WWII jeep from Bali that I still need to send you. There was a cool blackout light on it and yours looks a lot like it. Great job.

kingfish254 said:
Diggin the light. I have photos of the restored WWII jeep from Bali that I still need to send you. There was a cool blackout light on it and yours looks a lot like it. Great job.

I originally bought these lights about 10 years ago to put on my Samurai for covert night time 4 wheeling, but after I blew out one of the impossible to replace 6 volt bulbs I didn't mess with them anymore. They were advertised as 12 volts, but I think the instructions (made for the military in 3 different languages, no english) probably said to install them in series when using 12 volts. :?

Didn't touch a bike today, just relaxed with family and had a cookout with new friends. At the cookout I spotted something in their shed, a shiny black frame COMPLETE WCC Jesse James bicycle, I didn't say anything about it until he mentioned giving it to me! :mrgreen: His son might hold onto it a little longer, but I am getting a mini motorized chopper from him, gas powered, lights, horn, key ignition, etc... Cool.

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

I originally bought these lights about 10 years ago to put on my Samurai for covert night time 4 wheeling, but after I blew out one of the impossible to replace 6 volt bulbs I didn't mess with them anymore. They were advertised as 12 volts, but I think the instructions (made for the military in 3 different languages, no english) probably said to install them in series when using 12 volts. :?
these might work for you http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-6VOLT-21- ... 0612591329

It was another one of those early build-off Saturdays that just called for going for a bike ride with the family.

We went to the canal trail for a ride, but I took the family on a detour to the tailrace:
SAM_0695.jpg

The tailrace is the start of the Roanoke River just behind the dam that is holding up Roanoke Rapids Lake. The dam above Roanoke Rapids lake is holding back Lake Gaston and the dam above that holds up Kerr Lake. Here's the RR Lake dam:
SAM_0704.jpg

When they build the dam they had to dynamite out tons of granite to make the deep trench for the dam overflow. The water runs fast and deep here and depending on how much they are letting out of the lake, there can be some serious rock cliffs exposed:
SAM_0703.jpg

People have always fished on the tailrace and use to cross to the other side of the tailrace by "shimmying" across 2 guide wires, I guess they finally decided that was too dangerous and they installed a nice footbridge that really leads to nowhere:
SAM_0697.jpg

Plus, it's really in the middle of nowhere, such a grand bridge that many people (even many living here) never see. It has a grated steel deck and that kind of freaks out a lot of people:
SAM_0696.jpg

View towards the dam:
SAM_0693.jpg

View down river:
SAM_0694.jpg

Donna said this would be her Mother's Day picture from her Mother's Day (before) family bike ride:
SAM_0699.jpg

Back to the bikes:
SAM_0700.jpg

There is a flat gravel trail that runs beside the tailrace until it hits a road in town, good ride, but getting in and/or out requires going up/down steep hills or across an old skinny concrete dam with drops on both sides and no rails, we chose the hills:
SAM_0701.jpg

Back at the trail head there is one of the old impellers from the hydroelectric dam:
SAM_0706.jpg

This may not have helped my build-off bike, but it's good for the family and for the weight loss challenge.

Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 5/12 Taking a day off, pg14

yoothgeye said:
Peatbog said:
Pretty cute passel of kids you got there.

We are blessed.

Yes you are.

Thanks guys, my kids are great, don't get me wrong, they can make me pull my hair out sometimes, but that's easily forgotten, they're mine.

If you've got 'em, tell your moms and wives Happy Mother's Day today.

Looks like a great day Justin! :wink:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Looks like a great day Justin! :wink:

It was a wonderful day, as was today, nice time at church and then we drove to Virginia to see my parents and sisters and a new nephew we hadn't been able to find time to see. Very good day.

Yesterday while I was piddling around in the shop I found a seat for the bike, I think it will be comfy what do you think?
SAM_0691.jpg

Hideous right? haha Yeah, that won't go on my bike, but after stripping the comfy bits and some mods, this could have potential...
SAM_0692.jpg

Needs a good heat-n-beat...

Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 5/13 Possible Saddle, pg15

After the great day you had with the family...GTB .!! I did the family thing Saturday too. Bikes can wait. Peace

That is one fat seatpan. It kinda looks like the right shape of the "Punisher"'s skull logo.

kingfish254 said:
That is one fat seatpan. It kinda looks like the right shape of the "Punisher"'s skull logo.

Hmph.... I didn't think of that. Anyway, if I use this saddle it will need a lot of work and it will never be as comfy as it was, but this is the military, you don't get paid to be comfy!

Jake Sensi said:
After the great day you had with the family...GTB .!! I did the family thing Saturday too. Bikes can wait. Peace

Good man! :D

largek9 said:
Thats a Big boy seat, what did it come off of ? and where's your front bumper ? :)

Off an exercise bike I found in the trash.

I took the bumper off to install my air horns then gave the bumper to someone who needed one. I have a 1/4" thick piece of 4"x6" tube about 8 foot long that will be transformed into a "real" bumper.

I need that seat oh wait no I don't its only a pan now danget I miss trash finds but they got no dumpsters around here anymore

Latest posts

Back