█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost all of the reflectors that I am finding are around 7/8"

Took starsNbars down from the workstand to test the shifter location and to get a feel for the longhorn bars.
I like both.
WP_20140508_21_23_25_Pro.jpg
WP_20140508_21_22_58_Pro.jpg

I plan to keep the rusty patina on the seat so after realizing I like the size looks and placement of the longhorn bars, I had to get these crusty cross brace longhorns from @marius.suiram .
rm2_zps73506f25.jpg

And this cool prewar kickstand from him as well
rm4_zps708ed1f2.jpg

That's a 1938 frame, wow! Talk about artisan designers.
Suggestion, if you're going with the stars and bars theme and the girder sandwich fork... rather than just cutting holes in the girders go with star cut outs:thumbsup:

BTW, cool use of a Girvin fork, seriously under rated MTB forks.

Hey KF really liking the way this bike is turning out so far
kinda has a prewar evil kenevil vibe to it

i might have a solution for you if you cant find any blue jewels
i suggest going with all red jewels
and for the blue aspect try either heating the sprocket to see if you can get the chrome to blue
or use gun bluing on the sprocket
that way it would give it a blue "effect"
i could have just suggested painting it blue but like you said earlier
The trick with stars and stripes stuff is finding a balance of it. I don't want this to become a 1976 Bicentennial cartoon. I just want accents hear and there.

Last edited:
That's a 1938 frame, wow! Talk about artisan designers.
Suggestion, if you're going with the stars and bars theme and the girder sandwich fork... rather than just cutting holes in the girders go with star cut outs:thumbsup:

BTW, cool use of a Girvin fork, seriously under rated MTB forks.

I love this frame every time I look at it.

The plan for the fork is for star cutouts more like the inspiration fork than anything that is drawn on the cardboard. I may take advantage of the 3D aspect of the sammich and have stripe cutouts behind the stars on the inside slice of bread.

Hey KF really liking the way this bike is turning out so far
kinda has a prewar evil kenevil vibe to it

i might have a solution for you if you cant find any blue jewels
i suggest going with all red jewels
and for the blue aspect try either heating the sprocket to see if you can get the chrome to blue
or use gun bluing on the sprocket
that way it would give it a blue "effect"
i could have just suggested painting it blue but like you said earlier

I'll definitely keep those ideas in mind. Thanks for the suggestions.

Now that's funny!

Took starsNbars down from the workstand to test the shifter location and to get a feel for the longhorn bars.
I like both.
View attachment 2888 View attachment 2887

I plan to keep the rusty patina on the seat so after realizing I like the size looks and placement of the longhorn bars, I had to get these crusty cross brace longhorns from @marius.suiram .
View attachment 2889

And this cool prewar kickstand from him as well
View attachment 2890
Talking about a suicide shifter, you have one there for sure :D

Those cross brace bars should look killer on there.

Talking about a suicide shifter, you have one there for sure :D

It's pretty much the same location that I used for my shifter on Firewing and worked out pretty well. It's fairly easy to reach down and shift it.
IMG_2522_zps3c131987.jpg

LOL, I was thinking exactly the same thing when Luke posted that.
I also hope that it isn't what other Americans think all of us from the South are like!

Its amazing how much the 5 Bar frame resembles this. I guess after a few FloCycles broke, Hawthorne just made the shape from steel, minus the leaf spring and exaggerated looptail.

I never noticed the similarities either, but when you compare these two photos, I can see some resemblance
index.php

I don't know why I even participate in these "Build Offs"....:(

Oh yeah.....'cause it's FUN!! Nice job again King of the Fish!!

Thanks Chips. It's fun because we get to see people do wild stuff like make a softail Hex Silver King!!!

As long as you guys don't think we all have kangaroos in our backyards ... we'll have no problems beleiving those people were specially chosen by tv land to confuse us.

We have seen so much of Kingfish's home town by now we know Bruce is not there very often. However his paintshop must be a deep dark secret to his neighbours looking at their houses.

Latest posts

Back