Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. O

Add Nexus 3 Speed to Electra Jeremy

Thanks guys. Per the spoke calculators I tried online it looks like the recommended spoke length difference is just under 2 mm. I'm going to a larger hub flange, so I think it might work with the old spokes.
  2. O

Add Nexus 3 Speed to Electra Jeremy

Hey guys, I have an Electra Jeremy that I love to ride but want to upgrade to a 3 speed hub. I finally found a good deal on a Nexus 3 speed, so I've got the hub now. The diameter of the 3 speed hub's flange is slightly higher than the original 1 speed, but am I correct in thinking that I can...
  3. O

new guy utah!!

Welcome to the forum! What part of UT? Murray here.
  4. O

Big guy bike

Why not buy an old beat up Electra and customize it? I'm 6'4" and they're pretty much the most comfortable bikes I've ridden. There should be tons of them for sale cheap in So Cal.
  5. O

Chrome finish peeling off alloy Electra rack

Update: Thanks to Electra and my local Sport Chalet bike department I now have a shiny new chromed steel rack. It took a while for the email response, but after that they moved quickly and took good care of me. The steel rack is noticeably heavier but also looks a lot nicer than the alloy one...
  6. O

Update: Last night I did get an email from Electra. They have advised me to bring the rack into a dealer to have them submit a warranty claim. Hope it works out, I'll keep this thread updated.
  7. O

That's it, I think they just don't want to be bothered because I don't have a bumper from a show car or something. At the company I work for, when the phone rings or an email comes in we don't know if it's going to be for a sale of $5 or $5000. But we make sure to take care of all of those...
  8. O

Update: I have only found 3 local places that do plating. The one of these three that bothered to respond to my email said they don't do alloy, if it was steel they'd charge $100 to re-chrome it. And that's the only place that does de-plating according to the people I talked to. So far no...
  9. O

I'm looking into chemical methods of removing the chrome, it would be a pain to get it off of there mechanically! I also emailed Electra to see what they have to say about the finish peeling off their rack, will update this if I hear from them. Thanks for your reply. Anyone more suggestions?
  10. O

Hey guys, I have a question about chrome on an aluminum rack. I got an Electra Gigi for my wife and it came with a chrome plated rear rack. The chrome is starting to peel on the top of the rack where it's been abraded. I took the rack off and sure enough it's not steel but aluminum. What do...
  11. O

Welding question - trailer hitch for bike rack

Thanks guys. I'm not worried about the static weight so much as the leverage, with two heavy bikes bouncing up and down as we drive down the road. This is pretty much what our hitch looks like, minus the small piece of angle iron above the receiver. That's what I'm proposing doing, adding...
  12. O

Welding question - trailer hitch for bike rack

Hey guys, I have a welding question I wanted to throw at you. We have a Yakima hitch mount bike rack that we use for our Electra cruisers, and though the rack is designed for four bikes, we've never put more than 2 on there since they're around 40-45 pounds. My car has a Class II hitch but my...
  13. O

Electra Jeremy "faux Ghostrider" find

Hey guys, I got what I think was a good deal on an Electra Jeremy... the seller thought it was a Ghostrider and I did too, but after researching here and emailing Electra I think it's an '05 Jeremy. Either way, I really like the bike but am already thinking it needs a 3-speed hub. It's great...
  14. O

Electra Rat Rod mod.

To add to the confusion... I have two Electra Rat Rods, both acquired used so I don't know how old they are. I've been meaning to email Electra with the serial numbers to see if they can tell me when the bikes were built, haven't gotten around to it yet though. They both have the "newer" frame...
  15. O

Cheap bike light material !Bright!!!

Looks like almost the same flashlight as the "Techlite Lumen Master" from Costco. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22740&start=15#p347102 I used one inside a chrome torpedo light... it is very bright!
  16. O

lets see those led light conversions...Updated 1/5/10

Here's my version... I wanted to use a 3AAA LED flashlight and keep it intact so it can be used as a flashlight during the winter when we're not riding our cruisers. Quick comparison of original light with LED flashlight: Black one was from Costco, gray from Sam's Club, either will work in...
  17. O

Electra Townie fenders - install question

subadrew: My wife's Townie is a 21D from a few years back (we got it used, don't know the model year). It has 26 x 1.9 tires. It looks pretty much identical to the one in the flickr link I posted above, except has a black wire basket. Do you know what model / year your GF's Townie is...
  18. O

Electra Townie fenders - install question

OK, finally got this done this week. I ended up marking the fender stays with a sharpie, then loosening things up so the stays were free, then cutting them shorter with a small bolt cutter. This cutting method probably doesn't result in the cleanest cut, but since they're covered with the...
  19. O

Bike racks that are compatible with fenders?

We have a Yakima DoubleDown 4 bike rack that works great... I've carried two heavy Electra cruisers plus a mountain bike on it. Don't think I'd try more than 3 cruisers though. http://www.rei.com/product/767986 I stalked Craigslist and after looking for a while found a used one for $40. My...
  20. O

calendars still available?

Ditto for me. I was out of town for Christmas and was planning on ordering some when we got back. Now, it's just gone :( Would be nice to know what's going on.
Back