Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. SummitCoCycleWorks

Schwinn-compatible One Piece Crank?

Hi all, I've been around this board for a few years and if there's one thing a person learns from hanging around here is that you never, ever take for granted that some part you find- either in an old bin or on the internet- is going to fit on your old Schwinn. I picked up a mid-50s rust...
  2. SummitCoCycleWorks

Sturmey Archer Drum Brake Pinch Bolt

Right on. I think I follow. I saw some little hexagonal pieces that are used to join all-thread rods together. I think I might be able to find one, cut it to about a cm long and drill a hole through it and that should give me the body of the pinch bolt. Two set screws from either side should...
  3. SummitCoCycleWorks

Sturmey Archer Drum Brake Pinch Bolt

Hello All, I'm building up my first authentic Klunker- think Alan Bonds, pre-war DX frame, drum brakes, etc- and have run into a road block that I know one of you guys can help me solve. I apologize if this thread should instead be in the "Wanted" section but I landed it here because I'm also...
  4. SummitCoCycleWorks

Retro Ryder Headset- 1 1/8" Steerer in 1" Headsets

Hi All, I have been working on collecting parts for a Klunker build based on a 1941 Schwinn DX frame and have been agonizing over my fork choice. I really want a suspension fork but it's slim picking for well-built vintage MTB forks with a 1" steerer tube that will fit in a standard sized...
  5. SummitCoCycleWorks

Formerly Both of Catahula's Klunkers .. DONE! (OK, Almost!)

I sent you a PM regarding the suspension fork on the black B-98 but thought maybe some other people might be interested in that as well. What headset are you using for a modern suspension fork to fit in the prewar frame? It looks like a newer fork so I'm guessing it's a 1 and 1/8" steerer...
  6. SummitCoCycleWorks

Questions on Proofide for a Brooks saddle.

I found an old Schwinn-built something or other, pre-war, in some guy's backyard not too long ago and it had this awesome Brooks B72 on it. The thing must have been sitting out in the weather non-stop for five or more years by the time I got it so the saddle had seen some abuse. However, the...
  7. SummitCoCycleWorks

Brasso safe for cleaning painted head badges?

Hi all, Picked up this '41 Schwinn DX frame for a new Klunker build from user "46Powerwagon" and am in the process of cleaning up the Henderson head badge. I started with a metal polishing product I had under the sink called "Mr Metal" which is slowly lifting up the layers of tarnish and...
  8. SummitCoCycleWorks

Early "American Flyer" with AS Springer

Found this in the back of the Orange Peel bike shop in Steamboat Springs, Colorado last week but it belonged to the custom titanium frame builder who worked next door- Kent Eriksen. He took it in as a trade towards a new MTB frame from a Schwinn collector from Tuscon. That's where the story...
  9. SummitCoCycleWorks

Need American Flyer Help - Pre-Schwinn?

Hi Friends, Went on a little road trip this afternoon to Steamboat Springs, CO and stumbled into a cool bike shop called the Orange Peel. They had sort of a grave yard out back with mostly newer stuff but found an American Flyer badged bike under some vines and an unruly garden hose. Turns...
  10. SummitCoCycleWorks

Awesome Clear-coat in an aerosol

Hey all. I received my can in the mail the other day and noticed there are no prep instructions listed. So after a few YouTube searches I found a custom air brushing company out of California that had some video tutorials using SprayMax 2k clear and I wrote them with my questions about prep...
  11. SummitCoCycleWorks

Another RRB-Quality Tire....

Menzorro- I've dealt with Tyler at LuxLow quite a bit. He's local for me and a good guy to work with, especially in person. Never tried those tires tho :mrgreen:
  12. SummitCoCycleWorks

Hey OP- how's the clear holding up after a few months of handling? Ordered my can the other night from Eastwood and have been prepping my frame and fenders in the meantime. Question though- did you let that last coat of color cure entirely before spraying on this new clear? My parts have been...
  13. SummitCoCycleWorks

Trying to find a local distributor or someone down in Denver since nobody will ground ship it up through the Eisenhower tunnel to me here in the high country. But I have a question for the people that have used this stuff. Since it's a two part system, does that mean once the ingredients are...
  14. SummitCoCycleWorks

26 x 1 3/8 ISO 590mm Wheel and Tire Options

Thanks everyone for all the help! I'll post pictures with my final choice. Cheers, Ryan
  15. SummitCoCycleWorks

26 x 1 3/8 ISO 590mm Wheel and Tire Options

As I'm sure you guys have noticed as well, there always seems to be a surplus of these 26 x 1 3/8 wheelsets from the older Raleigh-style middleweights, a lot of them with SA 3-speed coaster brake hubs. I've read Sheldon Brown's article on tire sizing and understand the difference between all...
  16. SummitCoCycleWorks

Miller Generator Headlamp Bulb Help

I've got a new-to-me Miller generator powered headlamp that came without bulbs and I'm having a hard time with the "low beam" bulb which I'm assuming is the one in the center of the reflector. The model I have is the dual bulb setup in the headlamp and the bottle generator running on the front...
  17. SummitCoCycleWorks

The Frisco Flyer - MTB Frame Board Tracker

Pictures fixed! Thought it was Flickr just being ornery but I totally linked them wrong. Thanks for the heads-up.
  18. SummitCoCycleWorks

The Frisco Flyer - MTB Frame Board Tracker

I've been struggling with whether to build up a Pashley Guv'nor style or Board Track racer but when I found a complete Free Spirit "Dynasty" 10-speed mountain bike in the recycling bin the other day, the decision was pretty much made for me. I'd always liked the look of ifitsfreeitsforme's...
  19. SummitCoCycleWorks

Avon Saddles - India

Anyone seen these in person? I saw one pop up on eBay the other day but can no longer find the listing. Pretty ornate looking hairpin saddle. Did some digging on google and found their website, based out of India. Doesn't look like they list prices or ship to USA but I'd love to get my hands...
  20. SummitCoCycleWorks

Hub reccomendations

Anyone come across a black, 3-speed coaster hub in their searching? I know SA has the two-speed kickback in a 2-speed but haven't seen anything in a 3. Thanks!
Back