Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. F

PREWAR DX Bulleit Burbon Bike

Picked this bike up in 2014. Wanted to build a custom Prewar but start with a bike that was not so nice that i felt like restoring it. This bike was perfect fit. the fork was a chopped girls fork so i bought a period correct springer. It was originaly black and white before the goofy paint...
  2. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Well if you need any help, let me know.
  3. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Finally got the crank and sprocket bent back to shape. At least close enough. Then had them chromed. So i took it out for a propper photo shoot.
  4. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

I dont think so. I made sure that it spun freely. I have had it to tight so i know what you mean. It also feels like it drags a bit when i coast. I found a local bike shop that works on vintage bikes today. Im going to take it down to them and have them check it out and see if it feels wrong to...
  5. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

I cranked the bolts down tight and its ok now but i may get some of those ribbed bolts. Next problem ,cause im a noob, now my kick back arm is flying up and hitting the rear stay. When you break is the arm soppsed to have upward pressure on it or did i rebuild it wrong? and one with the rack...
  6. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

I think i have the wheel centered but every time i get the wheel in and i think its tight i go out front and ride it. Then when i pedal hard the wheel slides forward and the chain falls off. Guess i need to crank it down tighter?
  7. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Well i still have to put the rack on the back and the rear hub is to loose. I also need to have the crank and sprocket chromed but her it is as of today. Before AFTER!
  8. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Im having a heck of a time figuring out where all the bolts and washers went. Anybody have any idea on how they go? There has to be atleast 1 on the inside of the frame otherwise there is a big gap between the dropouts and hub.
  9. F

What is this schwinn?

Looks like its a piece of crap bike so i think its going to get cut up and made into something else. Time to start cruising the gallery for ideas.
  10. F

What is this schwinn?

There is also no headbadge or holes for one.
  11. F

What is this schwinn?

My friend dropped this bike off to me. He said he thought it was a 52 or 53. He got it from a guy who owned a bike shop. This was the display bike in the front window and when he closed the shop he took the display bike and it sat at his house. I looked on the drop out and under the crank for a...
  12. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

I know a true restore would not use a clear coat and be shinny but i dont care. I just want it to look real nice.
  13. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Got all my chrome back yesterday. Laced up the wheels and mounted the tires. Went to the paint guy only to find he was not done. So today i went back and taped off the fenders and frame for the white paint. So i am not going to make my dead line for his birthday but it will only be a few days late.
  14. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

seat is covered. Now i just have to paint the rest of it. Chrome should be done early next week and then i can start lacing up the wheels.
  15. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Just like the head badge not fitting, i got the crank in the mail and i put it up to the original crank and the thread distance comes up a little short. So what are my options? Can i un-bend the crank that was on the bike? My crank is marked s-1-64 does that mean anything?
  16. F

1959 Schwinn

This was my grandmas bike. My grandpa bought it for her used for her to ride to work at the library and back. It was just sitting on the side of her house under a rotten tarp. It had what i believe were s-7 wheels that were rusted to heck. I found a set of S-2 rims locally and swapped those on...
  17. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Well i thought i got a good deal on a nice headbadge but found out today that i was mistaken. Its a little small.
  18. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Well not much progress for those of you who are watching. I brazed on the rear section. I also painted the flashlight holder. It had a date of May 26 31 on it. So I guess its old. My flashlight came in the mail today also. Monday my paint guy will be back from Hawaii and i will take the bike...
  19. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

Welded some ends onto some tube. Ill round them off a little to look like the original bar as much as i can and then braze it on.
  20. F

Columbia Newsboy rebuild

I am keeping track of the cost just so i know how much i dump into the bike. I keep buying new parts for it. I bought the seat tube decal and an eveready captains flashlight for the flashlight holder on the handle bars. i went to the upholstery shop today and they said the seat pan was to far...
Back