Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. D

Everything old is new again

It's a Euro thing, not well understood by US liability laws. Some setups like that sold in Europe even have a little windshield to keep the bugs off the child's face. The pistol holster by the seatpost is odd tho'. ;) -------- One thing I think is wrong about most all of these (kinds of)...
  2. D

Mig or tig or ?

Oxy-acetylene works well too, even now. In particular it allows you to braze well, and brazing instead of welding allows you to avoid the problem of thin steel oxidizing on the back side of the weld. It is possible to braze with a TIG also, but then a mini torch kit only costs around $300 and...
  3. D

NOS motorizes bikes

Looks more like an art project than something useful. Gas-engined bikes could be useful to a lot of people, but are always going to be hobbled in the USA due to lack of legislative support. Electric bikes are hobbled by the fact that they're battery-powered. Good luck to him anyway, it takes...
  4. D

Industrial bike chain

Depends on what you mean by "industrial-style". If you want something that can still run on regular bicycle sprockets, then you would be limited to half-inch pitch chain. Standard single-speed bicycle chain has a rated breaking strength of somewhere around 900 lbs. There is no ANSI number for...
  5. D

bicycle powered "alternator" chargers

If you want to experiment with making your own bicycle-generator, then what you want to start with is a "stepper" motor. It will generate the most power when spun, you just need to use diodes to get the pulsing-AC to DC. (did any posts get lost in the change-over? I coulda swore I typed this out...
  6. D

big box bikes

For a long time the bottom brackets in most all department-store bikes didn't even have dust shields..... even for MTB's (!?) So the BB bearings would begin to fail within weeks of regular use. Also for a long time the wheels used a design that used cup & cone bearings, but the cup was cut...
  7. D

CORRECTED: 26x1-3/8 tire whoas

Re: 26x1-3/4 tire whoas In bicycle tires, 26" x 1-3/4" is not the same size as 26 x 1.75" the rims and tires that use fractional sizing use a different sizing standard than the (modern) ones that use decimal sizing. http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
  8. D

I Want the Fastest Balloon Tires!

One thing to remember is that fat tires put way more stress on the edges of a rim than thin tires would at the same pressure. The limiting factor in how high you can safely inflate a bicycle tire is not the tire's strength but the rim's strength. In manufacturer testing, most tires burst...
  9. D

boardtrack races

Conditions were different in that era--specifically the conditions of roads. Back during that time, central city streets were made of laid brick. Secondary streets in cities were mostly gravel, and most country roads were left as plain dirt roads. Major "highways" were gravel as well...
  10. D

Sources to ID a bike?

You could also try on oldroads.com's forum. http://oldroads.com/
  11. D

Are modern patch kits crap?

I am old enough to remember using the patches that you had to set on fire...... more than that, I shall not say. :| I prefer the Rema patch kits--they come in a pea-green box. First thing I would ask is, did you let the glue dry completely before applying the patch? A lot of people don't...
  12. D

Gas motors

Yea, this is one thing I noticed too. Some people will spend hundreds of dollars for top-end MTB forks, rear shocks, wheels and so on, and build a REALLY capable-looking full-suspension bike, and I wouldn't hesitate to ride it 50 MPH if asked. It simply looks like it could take it. Then...
  13. D

Is this happening to anyone else?

I've seen this on other forums, where the forum software will automatically turn certain keywords into links. The problem arises when you wanted to put your OWN link in the post, and it changes it to something else,,,, but you don't see that. Because you don't click on the link after your post...
  14. D

Gas motors

The gas engine kits mostly aren't very refined. First thing you should do is find out if its legal in your area or not. Some people have built them only to find out from police that there's no way to legally ride it on public streets at all.... Second, the China 2-stroke engines are the...
  15. D

why no Paypal?

Peter White Cycles has a page with their ordering instructions. He has no online ordering, and likely doesn't intend to. The page has been the same for a number of years now, but for a couple small addendums. http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ordering.htm He does take CC orders from most...
  16. D

why no Paypal?

If it was a Western Union money order, then he should have gone to a Western Union to cash it or verify it. They can check instantly and tell if its fake or not. And if it was good and the buyer had taken the car, there would be no way for the buyer to later "revoke" the money they...
  17. D

why no Paypal?

Yep. They did not claim a lost package with the shipper, because the shipper would have showed it delivered. But they can revoke payment through PayPal, after they have the item. And they can revoke payment on a credit card, by contesting the charges. The reason that scammers always want YOU...
  18. D

why no Paypal?

The scams which occur over Western Union are 'social engineering' scams, and not due to faults within the security of the actual transaction itself. From a merchant's standpoint, Western Union is the most secure + widely-available form of payment there is.
  19. D

why no Paypal?

I am pondering doing an online business selling stuff I make. I haven't done it before, but I have been told by a number of different people who have that the most-bombproof way to do it (as a seller) is to ONLY accept Western Union money orders or WU wire transfers. If you are a...
  20. D

Least complex pedaled vehicle ever...

Bah! Anybody can do that. He can join the big leagues when he only has one pedal on there. ;)
Back