Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. A

Vista Cruiser -- Completed!!

Re: Vista Cruiser Nice work so far. Just do what you can and KEEP the bike around. My rat rod project is stalled right now also. It's so close, yet far from riding. It evolves in my mind and as I get the time I do things that I have time for. It WILL get done as I am sure that yours will.
  2. A

1960 Little 500 Roadmaster

Very cool reproduction! I loved the Movie and I watch it when I get the chance. Love the detailing on your bike. The Bendix looks cool with the Red Decal or paint on it like that.
  3. A

Top's First Rat

Poked around at one of TWO new shops in the area that open in the last two months. My daughter gave me a gift card from the one place so I decided to see what they had. Decided to ask what they had for cruiser tires. Saw that one of the bikes on the floor had the 26x2.125 Black Bontrager...
  4. A

Top's First Rat

Seems like I'll have to put this bike on hold for a bit. I QUIT my Job at the Bike shop due to some personal reasons. That was a very hard decision to make and one I really feel bad about. It was tough losing my Job back in December after 28 years, but I think I am taking this one a little...
  5. A

Headset Issues 60's Rollfast

I "mic'd" everything up and I really think that what I got in the new headset is a 1" JIS standard headset. What I think I need is a BMX style 1" threadless headset and then I think my problems will be solved. Of course finding one of those this weekend is just not going to happen. Darn bike...
  6. A

Bad economy, bad people?

Been watching my local listings for years and I've seen the prices increasing and the expectations getting higher. Not sure why. I think people see others sell some choice bikes and a high price, and feel their trash is worth the same. Of course there are those that want to find that great...
  7. A

mtb frames

Nashbar used to sell a nice Chromoly frame set for an MTB and it was a very nice frame. I bought one about 3 years ago and built up a heck of a bike out of it. Bike now resides with my Son and he's loving it!
  8. A

How to take these crank arms off?

Are you going to reuse any of the parts? One thing to try is to thread the nut back on till it just cover the threads of the cotter and then take a hammer and tap the nut. Sometimes a good sharp blow will loosen it up. Of course a little heat might help also. Park used to make a Cotter...
  9. A

Top's First Rat

Yep, I am looking at some Black Alloys and I am thinking about 26x2.5 Maxxis Hookworm tires for the bike. With the Military theme I want less chrome and more black to be sure. I got those wheels for a DEAL and I'll just put them on the Ladies Rat Rod that I'll start after this one. I think...
  10. A

LOL! No problem! I work at a High End Road Bike Shop. I get really tired of those bikes and I much rather have the simple no frills ride of a cruiser like I am re-doing. I'd rather ride something different that ride a "ME TOO" bike. The problems lie with not having a cache of old parts and...
  11. A

So my Mitutoyo Electronic won't work? ....! Too bad it's in my tool box at the Bike Shop! I had to bring tools home last night to do some of the work! Thanks Stretch
  12. A

Thought things were going my way on my build... That is when things bite you in the ....! Got the WALD BB cups installed in the frame okay. Went to the new Threadless headset and found that the cups were undersized, or that my headtube is warped. The old headset came out clean but the new...
  13. A

Top's First Rat

Here are some pics from Paint Frame after the second coat of Rattlecan Flat Olive Drab. Chain Guard after paint. I left some of the dents and crusty stuff because Military vehgicles and equipment just never is very pristine for long. So far I like how this is turning out. Today is frame...
  14. A

Top's First Rat

Well, SOME progress! I had to start over and restrip the frame. There was a LOT of rust underneath the original paint. I just do not want blisters popping back up anytime too soon. I used Rustoleum Automotive Primer as my base. Went on nice. Due to my new theme with this bike, I have...
  15. A

First stretch build (out of the box)

Nice Looking bike! Also, Good for you for letting the young man wrench on his own bike. A little guideance along with patience will go a long way. We all have to start out someplace, and to have help makes the learning curve a little less steep.
  16. A

Top's First Rat

Got some ideas for paint and stance. A military theme will prevail here. That means a few things I already have need to be swapped out. I have some stuff on order now through choppersusa, Put that order in on Monday and it's still in PROCESSING! What is that all about? I HATE waiting on...
  17. A

New OLD Guy

My grandson is into cool things. Right now he can't envision what I am really doing. He's only 5! Reminds me of the time I had him at the Bike shop and I was working on building up my tool box. Had him helping me put the new tools away into it and he asked what this one tool was. It was a...
  18. A

Rollfast "Key Lime Pie"-Done

Re: Rollfast "Key Lime Pie" Looks exactly like the bike I have and I am working on now. I was looking at your frame and noticed the Heat tube area. I want to say that Rollfast must have had a bad year with over production. My chain guard has RED paint underneath over a very nice black repaint...
  19. A

Top's First Rat

Got some more bits and pieces for the Bike today. Picked up a Wald 40T Chainring, BB set and a new crank arm for the Rollfast. Could not believe the BELL saddle I found at K-Mart. Just what I was looking for. I need to place an order for some fork bits and pieces on Monday. Still thinking a...
  20. A

New OLD Guy

Thanks Everyone! I guess my first love and hobby has always been Bicycles. Worked at a shop as a teenager sweeping floors and then learning to build bikes. By the summer I joined the service, they had me doing some wrenching. I hated to leave, but duty called and off I went. Worked on the...
Back