Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. B

Tired of Cruisers?

I'm glad I got the debate going on this topic. The guy who wrote 4 days regular bike one day on the cruiser, that's right on. I was seriously going crazy before i got with the slow cruiser pace. Every ride to work was like a battle, smacking cars, getting chased by cars. If your looking for...
  2. B

Tired of Cruisers?

Shifting on the nexus is a lot of fun. It's the opposite to a derailleur, you shift in the other direction and while you are coasting not pedaling. The gears themselves don't feel good except for 5th gear. It feels like you have sand in you drive train. Compared to a regular gear cluster it's...
  3. B

Tired of Cruisers?

I think I've come full circle. Three years of riding a cruiser, now I'm back to a modern machine. It's not just about saving my knees, I was having trouble riding with the slack cruiser frame geometry. Every time I'd ride hard my legs would just seize up. I can't explain the difference but...
  4. B

Colubia Firebolt Extreme Makeover 8 speed

Thanks bro, the rack can probably handle 200 pounds. The bike is now at the point of diminishing returns, so it's basically done. I bought a bashguard from BBG. At my door in a few days, it's hard to find one cheaper, think this was 18 bucks with shipping. Not a single bike store in NYC had a...
  5. B

unfinished columbia

What exactly is that on the rear fender, does the owner or anyone know?
  6. B

Prewar Schwinn Campy Klunker Mashup

Maybe its Zimbabwe or Jamaican Dollars, I think an apple cost about $3,000 in Zimbabwe. I don't like those bars though, too high, narrow. they look like bars off a little bmx. Gotta have some faster bars with the campy stuff. What kind of rims are you using?
  7. B

Some action pics. I do roadside repairs here in NYC for pedicabs, flat fix, brakes, lights, ect. ect. so the milk crate, don't knock it, it's my tool box. The Shimano crank and external bb is now installed. The American to euro bb converter had to basically cut cut in half, as it wouldn't...
  8. B

Cool video for my city riding friends here!

Haha this video has gone viral. Only thing that's stupid was the guy just paid his ticket. He should have gone to court and got it dismissed or reduced to 25 bucks. The judges tend to throw out half of the bike tickets here in NY. The only thing that really sticks is running a red light, but a...
  9. B

nexus hub

Can't compare to the Nex 7, but the nexus 8 does seem to have big jumps when you get towards the easier gears. But the middle range and harder gears are ok, can't complain. It feels like any mtb gear cluster, like a 3 tooth cog difference between gears. So basically the gear jump only annoys me...
  10. B

nexus hub

Blame Shimano, and don't worry the Alfine makes my Nexus look bad. No Coaster on the Alfine though.
  11. B

nexus hub

I got a Nexus 8 coaster online for about 180 from Tree fort bikes. It's not just the extra gear, the 8 speed is supposedly a better design, better all around hub than the 7. There's a an older an newer version of it too, try to get the newer "premium redline" or whatever.
  12. B

Re: Colubia Firebolt Hi Tech Klunker Got the fenders on, middle weight and 2.00 tires didn't want to play nice. Extended the braces and got it to fit. The Chrome is a nice offset to all the black, but I'm not feeling them 100%, any opinions? Here's a shot of that Sears chainguard, painted...
  13. B

Re: Colubia Firebolt Hi Tech Klunker A little hacksaw work on the Alfine shifter. The display and triggers were so clunky, taking up too much handlebar space.
  14. B

Re: Colubia Middleweight Klunker Bonanza Problem solved with the Robo Clamp seatpost adapter. The bike shop had a wald, 13/16 to 7/8 post. A little persuasion with the grinder and the clamp fits perfect. Micro Adjust! I don't know why no one else makes this kind of part, perhaps it doesn't hold...
  15. B

Which 3spd hub, SA or Shimano?

I read some bad things about the SA. Try searching MTB review, or just google SA hub reviews. SA has been around for ever but their quality may have dropped a bunch.
  16. B

Re: Colubia Firebolt Black Ops Klunker Still messing around with the chainguard, this Sears one may have a future here. A photo of the BB adapter and a seat post thing, the Robo Clamp. I want to upgrade the cranks and bottom bracket. It will be expensive and not a major improvement. But I'm...
  17. B

Re: Colubia Firebolt Black Ops Klunker The Columbia updated finally with the Nexus 8. So much fun to ride with gears. It's heavy silent fast. Fitting the fork was a process. I rode the bike for a few days, steering was all over the place. Horrible like your headset is way too tight. The fork's...
  18. B

* GROUND ZERO * (Now I can have a cold one!)

Re: * GROUND ZERO * (New tank and ride pics!) It's wonderful man, I don't even remember the frame you started with after reading this build. Was it a Norwood, Fleetwood a Deadwood? I was thinking a couple things. You might try a BMX headset if you keep having problems there. They are a...
  19. B

Re: Colubia Firebolt Black Ops Klunker Headset was still giving me trouble. Plus the fork steerer was grinding a bit where the frame tubes connected. Grinded the frame some more and fit a 1 1/8 race onto the top, bottom is still a mix of 1 inch and 1/18 inch. Trying this Origin Cromo Lite...
Back