Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. L

Relaxing today and working on bikes

Loaded the frame, rear sections of the springer fork, and the chainguard in the TJ yesterday and delivered it. Also took the old Iron Horse in to have the brakes bled. The owner got to work on the frame shortly after I arrived. First thing he did was re-install the old head badge. He then...
  2. L

Wet sanded and went over the chainguard and springer fork pieces with rubbing compound today. Will knock out the frame tomorrow.
  3. L

Candy orange is done. Started with some flake. Not as big as I wanted, but we'll see how it goes as the layers build.
  4. L

Layin' down candy.
  5. L

Finished up that chain guard... Then I focused on the frame again. It was originally a copper/orange color that was cool, but the owner (the bike mechanic) decided to spray-bomb it with a light/dark blue combo with uneven scallops. He didn't like the way that turned out so he then spray-bombed...
  6. L

The garage stool

I'm going to make a few more from old sprockets too - when I get the time. Outskirt, I plan on making a larger one with an old wheel/tire/fender too. That should be interesting. :lol: Oh, put larger hands on this one today. It's much easier to read from the other side of the garage now.
  7. L

The garage stool

Found another used for some bike parts. Had some old 8 inch disc rotors laying here from the rebuild of my old Iron Horse. Decided to put them to use. Bought a cheap clock kit from Hobby Lobby and used some scraps from around the shop to mount the rotor. Sprayed the scraps with truck bed liner...
  8. L

Found Schwinn Electric Chopper for sale... didn't buy.

I'd have bought it.
  9. L

Yup, metallic candy orange. :mrgreen: Anyone have a line on some a vinyl Typhoon decal set or a vector image of all of the decals? I don't want water slide decals that I've found. I want to use the vinyl as a paint mask.
  10. L

Taking a break from college classes to get some work on done on a Schwinn frame for one of the guys at the bike shop. Hope to get it, for the most part, smoothed down, bead blasted, and ready for primer. Then I'll skim a few areas with filler and start the sanding process. The chainguard is...
  11. L

Painting Rims Red, How to avoid the Spokes?

I disassemble the thing.
  12. L

The garage stool

I wouldn't think that three legs would be as stable as four so I went with four. I mean chairs, couches, stools all have four legs. If there was something to three legs the world is going to be upset when they realize they've been wasting material. :lol:
  13. L

March 19th. Smoopy's Spring Swap and Shine

Cool. I'd love to get a frame or two painted before the show but I know that they won't have time to properly cure so there's no sense in rushing it.
  14. L

The garage stool

I just look at it as a durability thing. Build it so it lasts and doesn't have to be fiddled with. When I thought about a swivel the boat seat bearing seemed to be the simplist, most durable way to go.
  15. L

The garage stool

Or you could just get a bearing like is used for boat seats, lazy susans, etc... Those bearings actually have four mounting tabs on the top and bottom bearing plates. I've thought about making another that's on rollers and would be much smaller for a mechanic's seat. X-ray, I saw a picture of...
  16. L

The garage stool

Yeah, the inner tubes and wheels where throwaways from the local bike shop. I got the crutches at a thrift store. 3/4" ply, 2" foam, some spray adhesive and some staples to make the seat. I only glued on the bottom side of the ply and wrapped the strips of tube over and to the other side.
  17. L

The garage stool

Had to do an art project so I made this thing to go in the garage.
  18. L

Clearcoat or Not???

Yes, I'd clear it. After the guys from the local shop saw my Iron Horse that I stripped and refinished they wanted me to paint a couple of bikes for them. I have the Schwinn frame here and I've started cleaning it up. Going to lay down primer, a base for the candy, orange candy, then a layer of...
  19. L

March 19th. Smoopy's Spring Swap and Shine

Wife says she'd like to swing by and check it out. We'll probably bring her bike, the FINX Kruiser I picked up last year, and maybe the kids' bikes for them to ride around on.
  20. L

Found!

...in my garage. I forgot I had this thing. :lol: Been cleaning up and it was stashed behind some stuff. Might have to get it out to break the boredom now that there's no football on the TV. '65 Western Flyer (Murray) with a springer and a 60cc that I bolted to it so it wasn't laying around...
Back