Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. B607

'41 Schwinn Built Speedway

Back in '95, a friend of mine bought a Schwinn springer from an old guy for $25. Here he is showing me the bike for the first time. I wanted it and he wouldn't sell it. I bugged him for a couple of months but nothing doing. Then one day he called me. He was frantic. He was finishing a...
  2. B607

Nexus 7 Question

Removing rear wheel with Nexus 7. Do you have to have the hub in 1st gear to remove the clip thing that changes the gears or does it matter. How about reinstallation? I had trouble with that thing before and I've slept since then. Gary
  3. B607

St. Louis in Jan.?

I thought I saw a listing for a swap meet in St. Louis on Jan. 24 but I can't find it now. Anyone have any info on swaps in St. Louis area upcoming? Gary
  4. B607

Historic Savannah

No, not the Savannah where Kingfish lives. But now that I have his attention...;) A friend gave me this Huffy Savannah. Since it was made in the USA, I think it is historic.:p It was stock, just like he bought it. I had to do some changes. New seat for fat butt, long neck, SB bars, Hunt...
  5. B607

Chain Guard ID

Is this guard a generic Wald or is it from some pre war CWC or Hawthorne or something? I don't have a clue. Gary
  6. B607

Schwinn Serial Number Tid-Bit

Everyone knows Schwinn didn't use the letter "I" in their serial numbers. I'm told because it looks like a "1". This is true for the 50's through the 70's (and maybe beyond) but it is not true before that. In fact, I believe the "I" prefix was the last one used before production was halted...
  7. B607

Powder Coat Question

I have an old Schwinn frame that is badly pitted. I bead blasted it and painted it. It's painted, but still pitted. My question is does powder coating fill in the pits when applied? If so, how much will it fill big pits? Gary
  8. B607

Kids Sidecar Bike

Visited a retired machinist friend yesterday and he showed me what he's working on. I didn't even know this guy messed with bikes! This thing is pretty neat. Aluminum sheeting. Wally World bike. He has a fender roller and an English wheel and all sorts of presses and other tooling. This is...
  9. B607

Shelby Whippet Info?

Went to a friends yesterday and he showed me a bike he bought. A Shelby Whippet. Looks like a skinny tire bike to me. Narrow seat stays and fork, but the rest of the frame looks like a ballooner. Rims look like original Lobdell but not positive on any of it. Morrow hub that was too goopy to...
  10. B607

Idea For An Entrepeneur

I don't think I spelled it right so I must not be one. :( I hear no locked bike is safe due to battery powered angle grinders and metal cut-off wheels. So, let's talk chainsaws for a minute. Hitting your leg with a chainsaw would be real bad. They make safety chaps that are filled with some...
  11. B607

Monark or Silver King?

Help me out here. A typical 50's Monark badge says "Monark Silver King Inc., Chicago Il" I've always assumed that was the name of the company at that time. Monark made many different bikes including one in the 30's with an aluminum frame. That bike was/is also called the "Silver King"...
  12. B607

when did kick stand come out?

Don't know who came up with them but Schwinn started using them on some models in '37 or '38. I also have a Jiffy brand kickstand with a '34 patent date on it. Gary
  13. B607

Where is CCR?

Haven't seen any posts from Jeremy since August. Anyone know what's up with him? :( Gary
  14. B607

Bendix Kickbacks

Kyle Moody sent me a PM and told me I should enter this photo in the contest. I can take a hint, so here it is. I gathered up all my loose Bendix kickbacks and parts and snapped a pic. I also have 6 bikes with kickbacks. I bought a Deluxe Typhoon in '68 with a yellow band kickback to do my...
  15. B607

Flying "O" motorized bicycle

Not sure what you have but it sure looks interesting. That bolt on top looks scarey. Gary
  16. B607

recent bike shop picking's and 48 harley forks

Treasure trove! Looks like you have several years of great fun ahead of you. Congrats! Gary
  17. B607

Lincoln? Schwinn? Confused...yes.

Up until the 50's Schwinn put many different badges on bikes. Chicago Cycle Supply used the name Lincoln. They were a jobber or distributor. The skip tooth chain on that bike is probably worth more than you paid for the bike. The chain will fetch you $30. The bike is a late 40's "DX" model...
  18. B607

What's Up With These Coins?

I get coins like these in my change every once in a while and I'm wondering what's going on. I've seen enough of them over the years to know it's not some one off thing. The one on the left has some sort of goober looking thing fused to it. A friend suggested that it was used somehow for...
  19. B607

Forum Slow

I thought it was my computer/connection but it's not. This forum is slower than molasses. Is there some problem? Anyone else notice this? Gary
  20. B607

Interesting Suspension

Someone might be able to use this "rubber ball" idea on a bike. Gary
Back