Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. B

Ride Hard, Turn Left: The Penrose Velodrome

Just a short note to let everyone know about my documentary on track riding at the Penrose Veledrome in St. Louis. This is one of only 23 velodromes in the country and its been in action for 50 years now. Known as "Mr. Bumpy Face" for it's less than smooth surface, the track was the site of...
  2. B

Pictures and Priorities

It's a bit embarrassing to admit to but I believe I have as many or a few more pictures of bikes and bike parts on my phone than I do of family and friends. It's a little awkward when I can't show my mom a recent picture of my daughter but can show her a picture of a 1940's Hiawatha. Anyone...
  3. B

Fixed gear on a fixed income

After spending a lot of the spring and summer shooting a documentary on track racing in St. Louis, I am jumping on the fixed gear bandwagon and going to build one. And like most, I'm going to try do it a cheaply as possible by using what I've got and selling the parts I don't need or want to...
  4. B

Stck Schwinn Stem

All the tips on removing a stuck stem have failed me so far. Liquid wrench hasn't loosened up a thing. I have beaten and pulled and even waited for it to work a day or two and repeated the process. Has anyone ever cut off the stem and used an "easy out" to remove the part of the stem in the...
  5. B

Continental?

I picked up this 1979 contintental cheap on CL. I think it's a continental because of the full chrome fork and FQ547155 makes it June 1979? A complete bike with no decals and sort of rough paint but some nice filet brazing where the headtube joins the top tube and bottom tube and on the...
  6. B

10 speed muscle bike

This looks to be a '70-72 era Sears 10 speed muscle bike that came to me from craigslist. It's pretty rusty, the cables are locked up tight and so are the derailluers and chain. What is it? Do I part it out or fix it up?
  7. B

Interesting approach to cruisers

this is an interesting article about a cruiser bike shop in Dallas. Not really a bike builder, not really a bike shop but filling a need it seems. I wonder how much building goes into these bikes as opposed to assembling and wonder where the bike parts come from. But his heart seems to be in...
  8. B

The Rover

I was given what I think is a GT knock off. The fork was mangled, it had no front brake and the shifters and derailluers came from who knows where. It's a bit of a frankenbike but I I like the rear triangle and seem to have most the parts to build it so I thought I'd do something with it...
  9. B

It's a what?

The kid dragged this home from a friend of his who didn't want it. Mismatched derailluers, one brake and it looks like the fork is bent. Doesn't really matter as the stem is frozen and so messed up the whole thing will have to be cut off anyway. Tires and tubes are good even if the rims are...
  10. B

Three speed thoughts

Too cold to build much so I'm looking at parts and thinking of things... I don't like the look of a derailluer on a klunker style bike but I'd like to have multiple speeds. An internal hub would be great but pretty expensive. What about a running a coaster brake rear wheel and a 3 chain...
  11. B

Trike thoughts

I was wondering about building a trike rear end with a regular coaster brake hub. Could you replace the just the axle and extend it so it was several inches outside each rear drop out and put wheels on it? Run the chain to the hub just like like with any bike. Would you need a shaft...
  12. B

Auction bike

Found this JC Higgins bike at an auction as I was passing through a small town over the weekend. All original down to the carlisle lightnings that still hold air. Missing a pedal and a headset bearing. Not sure how that bearing got busted and removed but it sure did.
  13. B

Carlisle lightning tires

I got a 1950's something girls JC Higgins at an auction and will likely clean it up an flip it as it sits. But it has these probably original Carlisle Lightning tires on the bike. They're in fair shape, the dang tubes still hold air great. Tires have good tread but some cracks and such. Is...
  14. B

The Hurry

This is what happens when I thrift store Murray Cruiser meets up with a Huffy Mountain bike from the dumpster. I took the entire front end from Huffy and put it on the Murray. Handlebars, brake, everything to the Murray for a Klunker style bike. I found these brassy file cabinet...
  15. B

Tell me about this Raleigh

I have what I think is a 1969 Raleigh Sprite. I'm dating it from the SA hub. What I can't figure out is that the Sturmey Archer Hub says it's a 5 speed hub but the thumb shifter is a 3 speed S/A shifter. The bike seems to be all original so I don't think that the hub was switched. To confuse...
  16. B

Flip it, rat it? Klunker?

Late 60's or early 70's Murray Monterey Cruiser just as it came from the thrift shop. What to do with it now is the question?
  17. B

Found an Iguana at the thrift store

Found this Giant Iguana Mtn. bike at the thrift store for $15! It's in great shape with little evidence of use. Araya rims, Suntour components and dia-comp brakes. Bikepedia says it retailed for around $400 in the late '90's. And since it's just a little too small for me....I hope for a...
  18. B

Commuter Bike Update

Been wanting to build touring bike that pays tribute to those old 50's and 60's light weights like Hercules and Raleigh. Starting out with this Sears 10 speed that I got for free. Its better than a Free Spirit as it is a lugged steel frame, Huret derailluers, and Nevar cottered crank. It's...
  19. B

Bull horn handle bars

Any thoughts on how best to cut standard drop handlebars into those nifty bull horn handle bars all the kids have on their fixies? What about mounting brakes? I'd like an upright riding position but I still like stopping
  20. B

Removing crank and BB

I have an older mountain bike with what I guess is a sealed bottom bracket. The crank arms bolt to the square axle that goes through the bb. I got the bolts off but not the crank arms. Any tricks to this? Do they just need to be broke lose and pounded off with a hammer? Is there a more...
Back