Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Couch tater

El Demonio Azul

I'm starting over with a new name and a new attitude on my build. Which isn't to say I've made any progress at all other than letting my build simmer in my mind before digging in. Re-named El Demonio Azul (The Blue Demon) I'm gonna try to give this 1953 Firestone Super Cruiser the mild Kustom...
  2. Couch tater

Double Trouble

Been a while since I've been on the forums. I finally finished the Double Trouble I built based on a frame built by rev106 . Took it out yesterday for its first ride and it is niiiiiice. I am especially happy with the Sturmey SC2 2 speed hub I used, makes riding so much more funner.
  3. Couch tater

1996 Bontrager Privateer Comp

I'm normally not real interested in mountain bikes due to the general lack of mountains and off road opportunities around here. When this one popped up for sale locally as a parts bike though, I snagged it quick. It's an XL size which is what I ride. 100% handmade in the USA, tig welded, cromoly...
  4. Couch tater

Oblio

This build has no point and that is the point. Named Oblio from the protagonist in the 1971 animation The Point, I will be building a 1933 Shapleigh Wonder badged Columbia. A couple of years ago, I purchased the bike in NW Indiana where it had been exhumed from a long term storage in a farm...
  5. Couch tater

1952 Monark Super Cruiser parts bike

After the build off the hard work isn't done, no sirree Bob. All of them primo ratty parts that I used left gaps in my parts stash and now the chore becomes building the stash back up. This hasn't been a good year for finding good parts mules so when this one popped up for sale I jumped on it...
  6. Couch tater

Removing a broken, frozen, aluminum stem from a steer tube with drain cleaner

When I mooched the handlebars from my HBBC cruiser to use on my build off bike I discovered the aluminum stem was broken and siezed inside the steer tube. This morning I dismantled the fork to remove the offending broken part and tried cutting and splitting it followed by heat and penetrating...
  7. Couch tater

Ne'er -do-well *Deluxe*

It was fun and now it's done. Thanks to all you ratters for the good times! build thread here That's all folks!
  8. Couch tater

Felt Jasmine

I seriously don't have room for any more complete bikes but parts mules are almost always welcome. So whilst perusing the local ads I came across this little honey. The sellers photo showed it hanging upside down from the rafters, covered in cobwebs and dust like Grampa Munster. I mentally...
  9. Couch tater

A yellow bicycle with words on it

This afternoon I decided to check the local online market place and a yellow bike with words on it came up for sale an hour earlier. I am over biked but it was cheap, as in real cheap. I'm a skinflint. Cheap and skinflint are like a magnet and steel; the attraction is strong. So I bought it...
  10. Couch tater

Double Trouble

Way back in early January, rev106 offered up his Champion tribute frames he named 'Double Trouble'. I bought one. I've slowly been accumulating parts to build it and today it begins. I have today off work and will be taking the frame to a powder coater for some color.
  11. Couch tater

HBBC SkullXBones Downtown Edition

Like pretty much everybody here, I have too many bikes. But that doesn't stop me from checking classifieds, mainly looking for parts mules. This bike popped up and the owner kept dropping the price and when it hit $100 I couldn't pass it up. It is an early model Huntington Beach Bicycle Company...
  12. Couch tater

1947 girls JC Higgins 4 Star

Way back around November this bike came up for sale online. The price was at the maximum for what I would value it at but being November prices usually have some wiggle room so I sent a general reply to the seller to set up a time to see it. I never heard back. I wasn't interested enough to...
  13. Couch tater

Ne'er-do-well *Deluxe*

This bike was going to be a quick and dirty build this past winter but I got way too busy to finish it. What we have here is a 1945 Huffman frame mated to a 1957 Roadmaster (shockmaster) fork. The fork came from a womens frame and I cut it down and threaded it to fit a mens frame. And that is...
  14. Couch tater

Huffmaster

It's winter, I'm bored, gonna build something. This one will be starting with a September, 1945, Huffman frame. It is the same frame that was built for the armed forces under government contract during WW2 except it is a civilian frame so it isn't worth big bucks. I've taken after it a couple...
  15. Couch tater

1959 Roadmaster Royal Eagle

I really like the smooth ride of the CWC Shockmaster fork so when this bike came up for sale at $40 I bought it. It was purchased from the retired original owners who are moving to another state. Two parts on this bike grabbed my attention, the fork and the Shelby chainwheel. AMF bought the...
  16. Couch tater

Hornswoggler *DeLuxe*

I bought this wreck of a Higgins last summer. It had spent a long time in a farm shed laying flat on a gravel floor. Shortly after bringing it home I gave it an O.A .bath that went spectacularly sideways. Failing to follow any instructions at all, the red paint turned pink and it all had a...
  17. Couch tater

Redline Big Bock bottom bracket

I've got a 175mm Redline Big Block crank and have come up zero on finding a bottom bracket or even parts to piece one together. Anyone have any ideas? In the mean time it does make a good tool for taking the bend out of pedal spindles :bigsmile:
  18. Couch tater

Edwards & Crist Cadillac (1933 probably)

My build, Harvest Moon, is a rider now. There were some details to finish that I got done this morning, namely pedals and the seat support. The pedals were a challenge with a bent spindle, missing jewel, coat of latex paint, but well worth it in the end. I also had to fit a walnut block in the...
  19. Couch tater

1937 LaSalle bomber

The jumping off point. Some people out there are probably shocked to see such a pristine collectable bike get the treatment but a sacrificial lamb it is. There are lots of cool parts on this montage and nothing except the spokes and huge honking sprocket are going to waste, spare parts are...
  20. Couch tater

Badges! Condiments! Science!

Due to my penchant of bring extra crusty bikes home I am always on the prowl for ways to ease the de-crusting process. I have heard of the mystical qualities of ketchup being useful in the de-crustifying of stuff so when three packets found their way into my possession it was time to give it a...
Back