Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. KD5ZXG

Riding where no gas bike has gone before

Where the heck is this trail? I see a sign for Plano Rd, but no clue the cross street. -edit- Found, after cruising for it half a dozen times. Expertly hidden by mental blind spot... Spring Creek Nature Area. Halfway to work. When endless project next rolls again. Not likely this year...
  2. KD5ZXG

Need some help with new fork

I have the Sunlite. It has similar issues, no magic fix for anything. But I got 8" disk to work. Your fork can be similarly conquered. Just need to gather a pile of spare nuts and washers to play with, till you find your spacing that works.
  3. KD5ZXG

Cut frame to accept layback brace?

Its a "RatRod", not hacking this frame would be a grave sacrilege. Nightcheese sais 'go for it.' Not going to argue with Nightcheese... Underseat clamp also demands some minor work. Nub might have to go. I'll try bending before cutting. Perhaps notch or nub the post to match? But simply won't...
  4. KD5ZXG

Test fit of the clamp: Opens just far enough that getting it past the brace and into the eye was a nondestructive process. However, the brace is in the way of tightening. Moving up till the clamp fully clears the brace is not an option, cause the post is becoming narrow. But the clamp can be...
  5. KD5ZXG

yeah, but you added a stem or something to brace the back end. I do have a pair of struts leftover from the original Electra front fork that could be abused underseat as sissybars. Still, I see no great difficulty with keeping the brace.
  6. KD5ZXG

If no obvious problems demand forewarnings, here's my rough plan: Want to cut the frame to a stub just tall enough for seatpost clamp. Then want to cut a long U down the back to clear the layback brace. Already a small thin U cut there, else the post clamp wouldn't work. Fortunately lots of...
  7. KD5ZXG

Shimming BB30 mid drive to fit American BMX/Cruiser Ashtabula bottom bracket

From the topside, a bit easier to see why the motor mount required bands. Simply no place to bolt through without opening a rusthole in the frame. Definitely sealing the exposed end of those chopsticks with black RTV. Not to glue them permanently, just to keep water from splashing in. Tiny...
  8. KD5ZXG

Shamelessly ripped form the Sphere, this was Casainho's disaster. Though his TSDZ2 failed by rotating into the frame, its the same weak point I'm trying to protect. Again not mine, but Kizasul's fix after his broke in much the same way. Doesn't happen to everyone. But slapdash mounting...
  9. KD5ZXG

Hopefully enough contrast to see where I filled in the depression with JB. Due to unavoidable offset from center, 2" BB does not fit in the depression. But instead levers on a raised ridge far away from the motor and nothing but void on the near side. Shim or fill here can give 2" BB a complete...
  10. KD5ZXG

This is what I've done to prevent mine from rotating. Had no hole to mount through and didn't feel like drilling...
  11. KD5ZXG

....Springer Fork

Had quite a challenge getting original Electra Ratrod fender to float with Sunlight front fork. Ended up abusing a wide rear axle to clear the linkages, and fender washers of all things... Shimano hydraulic was probably a mistake. Front hose was too short for my apehangers. Rear hose was far...
  12. KD5ZXG

I swear they must have cut a skateboard in two...

Headlight seems a little strange too. I give points for drop mirror though. What exactly is going on there at the front of the battery box, watercooling? Or just looks that way... Wouldn't make any sense with front wheel flicking rocks at it...
  13. KD5ZXG

Autobike - need some help

Shimano FFS doesn't have same cone spring washer behind it. Front looks unusual, maybe there. Even overtightened race, FFS, or other friction solution without cone: I think unnicorn may be too thick to fit any replacement hub not clearanced for it. So instead of cutting threads on the brake...
  14. KD5ZXG

Well, I have a new bucket of similar looking parts from China, none quite exactly fit... Did not realize that freewheel threads of the CSA hub extend further from the spoke flange than usual. This appears to give room for the unnicorn mechanism behind the freewheel. Normal freewheel hubs will...
  15. KD5ZXG

Macro Monday! Show that zoomed-in detail shot on Monday

TSDZ2 motor mount hose clamped to frame. Ashtabula bracket offset packed with chopsticks. Defective blue rat (dull gray), spoke disaster in progress, bullet strat.
  16. KD5ZXG

So, I returned to the clown who measured, calculated, and sold me the wrong spokes. Nothing he's got to correct it in black, but maybe has a set in silver. To fix my overlong he wants +$2 apiece to roll extra threads. Peeved to have stretched my non-existent budget $50 for same day spokes the...
  17. KD5ZXG

Original CSA 6 speed: 1 1/8 inch stack. CSA pushring travel: 1 1/8 inch 9 speed I was looking at was 40mm, not gonna work. My axle isn't even long enough. My old spokes too short even for the short side, catching only a few threads. New spokes too long even for the long side, need to cut more...
  18. KD5ZXG

CSA appears to use a normal 13-28T 6 speed Sunrace freewheel, probable clone of Shimano. Other clones appear to have the same friction compatible feature on back (by visual only, not verified fit). Wonder how well it might handle an 11-28T 7 speed freewheel? I see freewheels up to 10 speeds...
  19. KD5ZXG

Around the three minute mark, RJ flips his Shimano freewheel. We can see the same raised ridge, another dead ringer. And does not appear to be anything special exclusive to FFS. We might assume this was common feature of Shimano freewheels of the time, not just CSA, not just Sunrace. How did...
  20. KD5ZXG

My original black spokes (sized for 3i) are too short, or at least half of them seem to be. And not knowing anything about how to lace a wheel, I scratched a few trying to make the impossible fit. Not wanting to use all silver for the long side, only those with sliding weights. May have to buy...
Back