Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Aaronotzt

Model?

Here she is all cleaned greased and ready to ride! Took her for a 10 mile ride today wow wouldnt trade it for anything. Super smooth and rode like a dream(except for the metal seat lol) gunna feel that later! Thanks for all the info and tips gunna keep lookn for just the few things missing ie...
  2. Aaronotzt

Model?

I talked to the former owner and picked her brain a bit and from what she remembers(she rode the bike as a little girl in the early 50's) it was her uncles bike and was in the family for awhile before she rode it and she says the only thing ever changed on the bike was the tires! Nothing was...
  3. Aaronotzt

Model?

Thanks again for the insight on value. Ive been looking up and down the web and for schwinns without the Excelsior tie they range from $200 to upwards of $1000. And none were all original as mine is. Ive had only one hiccup with the 46 as posted above and that is it was not equipped with front...
  4. Aaronotzt

Model?

Well with all this new knowledge and still unknowns i guess theres one question still lingering and thats value? I picked this barn find up really cheap and its a perfectly good rideable piece of history. After taking it all the way down even the bearings cleaned and run like new. Everything but...
  5. Aaronotzt

Model?

Ok heres what i found: H-501 and this stamp on the opposite side
  6. Aaronotzt

Model?

Wow thats very interesting thanks. Im in the process of removing the cranks so ill have (hopefully) a date code shortly. I have made a list of components that are on the bike if this helps any: Schwinn script front hub, Bendix single speed coaster rear hub with skip tooth gear, sweetheart skip...
  7. Aaronotzt

Model?

thank you for the info i will be pulling the cranks later today and will post the date code. Ive been searching all nite and day and still left stumped. Thanks again and i I appreciate any info as this has been by far the hardest bike ive built to find anything about.
  8. Aaronotzt

Model?

Ok well from what youve told me and getting alittle deeper in. You are right it is a D97X un-equipped. I got the list of what it is equipped with and as far as i can tell it may be pre war but like you said its stamped on the bottom bracket so post war. Found a pre war with the same badge but i...
  9. Aaronotzt

Model?

The serial number was on the bottom bracket and all i can find so far from Schwinn it was built 5/1 - 5/4 of 1953 and its a J79 which the catolog says its a womens spitfire. But its has the Excelsior badge and the white tips on the fenders without the spitfire on the chain guard. Which is why im...
  10. Aaronotzt

Model?

It is a Schwinn Excelsior Dx? I do know the spitfire was tagged on the chain guard behind the Schwinn emblem and as ive shown mine isnt ill look further into the Dx thanks
  11. Aaronotzt

Model?

53 Excelsior cant put my finger on exact model. And would be interested in any info on value. It was a barn find. Gunna just get clean and rideable with minor fender work any info or tips would be appreciated.
  12. Aaronotzt

Excelsior

Im not doing a resto i should rephrase that im not repainting or changing much just grips and matching tires. I havnt tried the acid bath but i repacked all bearings and cleaned the chrome other then that she'll remain in this condition with just some minor fender fixing.
  13. Aaronotzt

Excelsior

found this 53 Excelsior am in the process of tearing it down for a complete resto. Any info or tips would be appreciated.
Back