Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Retro Flutter

Looking for a Schwinn Head Badge for a 1954 Spitfire.

Looking for either a colour matched green badge, blue or I'll even take a white. Not sure what one is worth. Ideally, I'm looking for this one. Not looking for NOS or anything. want something with patina. Located in Ontario Canada.
  2. Retro Flutter

New Departure Servicing/rebuild advice? (Also what model do I have?)

So, I got a '54 Schwinn Spitfire this past weekend, Rear hub is a New Departure and I believe it's the "Model A" or the "Model C" variant, going by Sheldon Brown's website. The hub shell has a cylindrical shape and the same oil/grease port like the Model C but it's got the Brake arm style text...
  3. Retro Flutter

My first Schwinn.

Picked up a1954 Schwinn Spitfire off Facebook this past weekend. Came with a Goodyear Speedway tire, everything looks to be original, Schwinn grips, Mesinger seat...Missing a head badge. What one would this bike have had? I've seen a colour matched one with Schwinn on the top of the badge and...
  4. Retro Flutter

1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp rebuild/restore.

So I got this bike in a trade from a friend. He was gonna junk it because it needed work. Well, I stripped it down and rebuilt the entire thing. I ended up discovering that the seat post was seized. usually not a problem....except this was a steel frame and aluminum seat post and had severe...
  5. Retro Flutter

Finds of the last couple months.

Yea, haven't posted much lately but I've been finding a few deals here and there... I got this 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp off a nieghbour for another bike I had. Had it a couple months. I'll post other pics of how it looks now in another thread. More recently I picked up this Huffy...
  6. Retro Flutter

28'' tire offerings?

Recently threw on a set of war era wheels onto a new build. Rims are 28'' x 1-1/2'' I know they're standard 700c size but I don't really wanna put a modern looking road tire on said bike. I was looking at the "Schwalbe Century" for more "old school style" options. are there any others out there...
  7. Retro Flutter

Recommendations for recovering an old Troxel springer saddle?

I've got a Troxel seat, and I'm looking to redo the top cover and maybe replace the padding under it. Looking to see what to do or don't on it. It's got the original Troxel Stamped cover on it currently but it's flaking off and I can see the wovern fabric under it. No padding left either it's...
  8. Retro Flutter

Current riding collection.

Was a nice day out last weekend, so took the opportunity to get a group shot of my 3 riders of this year. left to right: 1971/72 CCM Cougar X-100 3spd, 1968/9 AMF Roadmaster Skyrider Deluxe and a 1961/2 AMF Roadmaster Skyrider Deluxe.
  9. Retro Flutter

Mounting a speedometer to a bike with a Springer?

So I really want to add a speedometer I picked up to my 1962 Skyrider but I'm using a repop monarch Springer on it. I'm having clearance issues with it. The axle mounted bit won't fit, due to the springers hardware being in the way. Any suggestions or pics of Speedometer setups with a Springer...
  10. Retro Flutter

Looking for white black striped pedals for 68'-69' Skyrider Deluxe and possibly a Red/white Troxel seat.

Looking for a set of these or something similar for my 68/69 Skyrider Deluxe. These ones keep falling apart at the end of the spindle on the outer bearings, tried fixing them but didn't last. These are Wald brand. Don't have to be perfect, just functional. Also looking for this seat, or...
  11. Retro Flutter

Which decals would've been on this Skyrider Deluxe? Also tank internals?

From what I can tell, there was a triangle one above the headlight on the tank (i9'm guessing a red triangle with AMF on it) and one around the seat post tube. But I'm not sure what they looked like. I know there was a chrome like decal with coloured bands on it but it looked like it was for a...
  12. Retro Flutter

Picked up another AMF bike. This time all (mostly) original.

Facebook marketplace find. $100 Canadian pesos and was sold. Needs work, tank needs innards, cranks need replaced or bent back to shape and rear wheel needs trued, once I get the spokes unseized. Came with the Troxel saddle, Hunt Wilde grips, a Light Foot white wall and a cheapo rear tire. Not...
  13. Retro Flutter

Where can I find cable ends for brake cables?

Looking for the ferrules/cable stops that fit older brake levers. One of mine broke and has rendered the brake unusable and I have no replacements and Local bike shops don't either, too "old" of a bike. Bike in Question was made by CCM. I took off the working brake cable from the lever, to show...
  14. Retro Flutter

Removing stickers from painted chrome graphics?

I've got a tank on my 1962 Skyrider and on each side, there's a sticker, right on top of the Skyrider graphic.. Is there a safe way to get them off, without damaging the original graphic? I have Goo Gone but I know that can have some unwanted side effects at times. I've not touched them, as...
  15. Retro Flutter

Anyone tried these "Thousand Heritage" helmets?

I was looking for a retro/vintage styled helmet that met safety standards and stumbled upon these guys. Old school helmet style, with leather straps and a hole to lock it to your bike. Plus a variety of colours. https://www.explorethousand.com/products/bike-helmet
  16. Retro Flutter

Value on a 24'' US Royal Airflight tire for a Schwinn?

I got this as part of an eBay listing and seller had it listed as NOS and from what I can tell, it is aside from shelf wear. I'm just not sure on the value of it? I got the listing because it had another NOS tire to match my current build.
  17. Retro Flutter

Crank swap?

So, the cranks I have for my AMF build are bent and have a welded in pedal. Been searching on eBay for a new pair but I don't want "new" (ie Sunlite, etc) ones. I can't seem to find the ones I'm looking for. The ones I have seem to be longer than standard 6-1/2'' arms, they measure more to be...
  18. Retro Flutter

Well, it's technically a bike...

Found it at a Thrift Shop the other day....I plan on taking it apart, painting it and giving it a rat rod look. black most likely..or whatever I can find, maybe yellow.
  19. Retro Flutter

1962 AMF Roadmaster Sky Rider

Figured I'd make a build thread for this one, since it'll probably be a winter project and take awhile to put together. Here's what I'm starting out with. I have original handlebars, jsut not in the pic. Unsure if I wanna keep the colour+patina or sandblast it....again. Bike seems to of...
  20. Retro Flutter

WTB: Cranks for AMF Roadmaster

looking for the same set of cranks as these, or similar for my AMF build. I'm also in need of a 13/16'' wedge/quill stem post as well. . They measured about 6-3/4''' (probably 180mm?) from roughly center of pedal to center of spindle. They measured longer than a standard 6 1/2'' crank. PS...
Back