Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. W

Corona Rat

Thanks! Let me see if I understand you - put the wheel in the dropouts with the nuts the little loose, look at which way I'd want to torque the wheel to make it centered, then take the wheel out and torque the stays (at the same time) in that direction? Because I don;t really notice any height...
  2. W

Corona Rat

Thanks for the help! I've got the same length on both right and left side measured from the dropout to the top tube, resting the tape measure on top of the fork crown. The wheel looks centered between the chain stays, but is shifted between the seat stays, and the wheel is reasonably true, so...
  3. W

Corona Rat

Nothing special, just a simple N+1build (if you can call it that) on a 70's Murray-built Hiawatha I picked up off a fellow forum member to keep me sane during COVID. I removed the chrome fenders, which are in really nice shape, added ape hangers and Thompson grips. It came with that sweet...
  4. W

Santa Monica Cruise

Friggin' Maiden! :rockout:
  5. W

Fixing 5/16 Front Axle Threads?

I recently received a nice, what appears to be Murray-built, Hiawatha from a forum member. Unfortunately, FedEx's kind and loving hands caused the threads on one side of the axle to get kludged up. The hex nut moves but it takes alot of effort. I tried to back the nut off the axle to try to...
  6. W

1989 Schwinn Cruiser

New shoes Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. W

1989 Schwinn Cruiser

Funny you should post on this thread today. I just "woke up" and started up the project again. Ordered some creme Fat Franks (and tubes and rim strips), and i have a set of Thompson grips and saddle coming my way as well. The bike's been re-purposed to be used by my older daughter - I...
  8. W

1989 Schwinn Cruiser

Yeah my whole family wants one (for each of them) now Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. W

7/8" Laidback Seatpost?

Way ahead of you. Unfortunately there's nothing close on his database. It's definitely 7/8", no shim. Although I've had a few 80's bikes (I love 80's road bikes) pass through my hands that came shimmed from the factory.
  10. W

7/8" Laidback Seatpost?

Geez, he uses the seat tube as a vice? Sounds a bit dicey...
  11. W

7/8" Laidback Seatpost?

It's an 80's Giant-made Schwinn Cruiser. My calipers are calling the seatpost at 7/8" Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
  12. W

7/8" Laidback Seatpost?

Looking for suggestions for a 7/8" dia. laidback seatpost. As I understand it, some are to be avoided due to structural concerns. Looking to fit my 6', 34" inseam lanky body on a cruiser frame and don't want my seat way up in the air. Thanks for the help!
  13. W

1989 Schwinn Cruiser

Picked up this Giant-made Cruiser on Craigslist for $65. Its in a lot better condition than the seller showed. Here it is as-purchased: And after my first mod (haha): The chrome's in pretty decent shape, typical chips and scratches in the paint, seems like everything's lubed up pretty...
  14. IMG_3056

IMG_3056

1989 Schwinn Cruiser as-purchased off craigslist
  15. IMG_3058

IMG_3058

First mod
  16. 1989 Schwinn Cruiser

1989 Schwinn Cruiser

17. W

Univega "alpina" lawee design

Late 80's goodness - paint drip paint job, Biopace chainrings, canti brakes, braze-ons for fenders AND racks (if you want them). Fun and very versatile platform. Enjoy!
  18. W

Linseed oil finish?

I was thinking more along the lines of "real" Tung Oil, which is pressed from a tree nut. It has a longer drying time than BLO (which might be a bad thing), possibly better water resistance, it's tough and flexible, and it darkens/dulls less over time than BLO. Here's another, possibly stupid...
  19. W

Linseed oil finish?

Taking this a few steps further...is it possible to do a built-up BLOW finish? Has anyone tried Tung oil? Danish oil? Wipe-on poly? Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
  20. W

Hi from Long Island, NY

So I decided to pass on that Swindler, and my next target is an 's era Schwinn Cruiser (BMX fork, single speed) that's reportedly in pretty decent shape for $65. Seems like it's a vanilla enough platform to give me several options. How do people feel about these? Sent from my LG-V521 using...
Back