Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. handyandy1100

The Mean Machine

A tribute to '60's-'70's muscle cars. The name is derived from AMC's Rebel Machine and The Machine performance cars, but the bike seems to have developed more of a Mopar flavor... Link to the build thread... https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/the-mean-machine.118342/
  2. handyandy1100

Freewheel remover?

I have this Raleigh 10 speed that I want to remove the freewheel from. What tool do I need?
  3. handyandy1100

Raleigh Rapide mixte

Acquired this ratty Raleigh as part of a lot of free bikes a friend of mine needed to get rid of. Not really my cup of tea, but this bike really intrigues me. Serial number shows a January 1980 build date. The left crank is stripped where the pedal screws in, so a new crankset is needed. New...
  4. handyandy1100

Suspension Forks

Time for me to ask another silly question. I have acquired a number of telescopic forks from old bikes I have stripped parts from. I notice that only one will actual compress when I push down on it. Are some "suspension" forks just made for looks and not really designed to compress? Should all...
  5. handyandy1100

The Mean Machine - FINISHED!

Okay, finally have a name for the build, so I am in. Hoping for a 50 year old '70's vibe, muscle car influenced, green machine muscular looking bike. Parts Pile... Yes, there is some woodworking planned, and maybe some metal working too. Mock up has begun... Some inspiration... Ratty Dodge...
  6. handyandy1100

Hot Rod Hawthorne

A stretch of lonely country 2-lane, what better place for a vintage motorcycle or hot rod. Wasn't too sure I would finish this one in time, but like any good hot rod build, it all came together at nearly the last minute. This is my late 30's Snyder fastback sold as a Ward's Hawthorne. Good ol'...
  7. handyandy1100

Hot Rod Hawthorne

I bought this old Hawthorne back last December, just before Christmas and put it back for this build-off. It's a Snyder built bike from late '37 or early '38 going by frame details and the truss rods. I have had 4 and a half months to plan and decide what to do with this bike and I still...
  8. handyandy1100

Another Seat Post size question

I have this late '30's Snyder fastback and I am trying to figure out what size of seat post it should have. The one that came with it seems to be a little too small. It's very hard to get tight with the clamp. The clamp bolt was nearly bent double from being torqued down so much to hold the seat...
  9. handyandy1100

Snyder Fastback

Been awhile since I looked at the forum, haven't been working on bikes lately. Anyway this early '30's (I'm guessing) Hawthorne showed up on FB Marketplace. I have wanted one for 4 or 5 years since I first saw one. Made a deal with my wife that any money I get for Christmas goes into the...
  10. handyandy1100

Fuji Sanibel ebike

Found this on Facebook Marketplace a couple weeks ago. Been thinking about building an ebike, but came across this for about the price of a kit. Plus it's got similar geometry to my Electra and Ocean Pacific cruisers and disc brakes.
  11. handyandy1100

Fuji Sanibel

Picked this little gem up last weekend. I was contemplating converting my Electra Townie to an eBike and this Fuji showed up on Facebook Marketplace for less money than a kit and battery to do it myself. This bike has similar geometry to the Townie so it's a comfy cruiser. 8 speed cassette...
  12. handyandy1100

Low Buck Anti-Klunk

I was "gifted" a rusty Magna Great Divide mountain-ish bike. As it turned out the seat tube is 18," meaning there's a chance I could ride it. So with a couple of hot sweaty late afternoons I began working on it. I just had a hitch installed on my car so I can use a bike carrier. This bike will...
  13. handyandy1100

Grandpa was cool.

My sister sent me this copy of an old photo. This is my Grandpa with the go cart he built. Before he built it, he built his own arc welder. She also sent photos of his notebook (old school kind with lined paper, no hard drive, lol) showing notes and designs for the welder. He may not have been...
  14. handyandy1100

Smokie

Picked up this Columbia built Goodyear Hi-way Patrol awhile back. Decided it needs to given some TLC. Gonna make it over in old school hot rod style, but with a bit of rattiness for extra flavor. :) Name refers to CB lingo for a Highway Patrol officer. So far, I have added a springer fork...
  15. handyandy1100

Goodyear Hi-way Patrol

Just picked up this old Columbia built Goodyear cruiser. Probably make a pretty good rat rod. Since the rear rack is such a different color, I was wondering if it was original equipment or not. The elderly lady I bought it from said her late husband rode it a lot. I didn't ask when he passed...
  16. handyandy1100

Welcom Back Cottered...

Picked up this old Ertl trike to fix up for my grandson. He's only 14 months so I have plenty of time to get it ready. LOL I need some help with the cottered cranks. One pin is good and snug even though the nut doesn't tighten as the threads are stripped. The other pin is loose and the...
  17. handyandy1100

One day wooden framed trike build!

No build-off for me this year. Promised my wife we would work on the yard this summer. Also building wood stuff for the grandson. He turned 14 earlier this week. 14 months that is. Started a little project this morning This evening it looks like this...
  18. handyandy1100

Springer on a Townie?

Been thinking about putting a springer fork on my Townie. A Monark style fork would be coolest, but that's above my pay grade. Have to settle for a Schwinn style springer. Hard part is dealing with the Townie head tube length, 10" from race to race. And it's a 1-1/8" steer tube too. I'm seeing...
  19. handyandy1100

Best Wishes Y'all

20. handyandy1100

Western Flyer

Saw this on FB Marketplace. Description says it's a 1959 Western Flyer Deluxe. I didn't think it was that old. Kinda makes me REFLECT a bit on it. LOL Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Back