Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. J

COOK BROS = GOLD!

That bike is kick .... I had a completely tricked out Pro Performer in the 80s that I "traded" in for a Rock Hopper in 1989 when I realized I sucked at freestyle and needed a bike to get around campus. Mom didn't understand why a guy needed more than one bike. If I had that GT today it would be...
  2. J

COOK BROS = GOLD!

I am familiar with the Champions. One friend of mine has a gorgeous black one built up with completely modern, top end components, and another friend of mine has several of them built up in more classic, era appropriate style. I agree, they are beautiful and the welds are fantastic. My 24" rider...
  3. J

COOK BROS = GOLD!

This is a photo from the BMX museum. To me, this is what every other 26" BMX wants to be. No other bikes quite speaks to me the way these do.
  4. J

Schwinn Frame and Fork Geometry Question

I think I am done with this one for a while. It rides great. I'll worry about the forks somewhere down the road.
  5. J

COOK BROS = GOLD!

I have accepted that I can't afford a Cook Bros. 26" anytime soon unless some very unlikely things happen, I am building this Schwinn as a place holder. This photo is from another thread about Schwinns.
  6. J

She still needs some work, but we are getting there. I might end up stretching the fork after all. I am also having some issues with the chain line. The Euro conversion works great and the BB I have in it spins like a dream, but the spindle might be too long. Oh well, more fun to be had I suppose.
  7. J

COOK BROS = GOLD!

Por Exemplo. I am still looking for a photo of one of these jumping a VW Bug.
  8. J

COOK BROS = GOLD!

I live in Austin, TX and the Cook Bros. made some of those 26" frames for the knuckle heads here who liked to jump cars with them. I am not sure how many they made, and I would have to do some more research to figure out the exact serial numbers, but the ones they did make are a little beefier...
  9. J

Thanks for the tip guys. I put the old race back in and found a piece that works with it. Still not perfect. No room for a lock nut, but it looks better and will ride for now. I suppose this is more of a strandie than a klunker. I did not know either of these words a month ago. All I knew is I...
  10. J

Okay, I have the race insert and I see how that could work. Unfortunately I do not have the rest of the headset. I am now off to the local bike recycling center, AKA Yellow Bike Project
  11. J

I mean the frame inserts anyway. I am still worried about getting the lock nut to fit.
  12. J

Eureka! That is what was on the frame when I bought it! Crap, now I have to find it.
  13. J

This will not be a true klunker in the sense that it would ever see any trail riding. This is being built as a BMX style beach cruiser in the klunker style for rides around town. I can't afford the BMX frames that these Schwinn frames inspired, so I am building this bike. It will mostly go to...
  14. J

Now that I look at it again, I think that the "trim a little off the frame headtube" option would work. Would you use a facing tool to do that? To be honest, I would ideally like to be able to use this fork without altering either the frame or the fork. I am looking into using a quill adapter...
  15. J

Thanks for the response. I know I am over thinking it, but it is about 105 degrees here right now so it is more pleasant to get theoretical and type about bikes than go do the work in my shed right now. (-; Unfortunately the steer tube on the forks is just a few threads too short. Using a...
  16. J

Greetings all, I am new to this forum, but look forward to being part of many discussions moving forward. So I am building what I believe to be a 1957 manufactured Tornado as a klunker. I have an opportunity to get some forks that are from an 80's era Schwinn beach cruiser. I am wondering about...
Back