Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. xray

Show Me Your Worksman Trike

I picked this gem up on CL, but it was not recognizable as the same trike shown here. It was spray painted blue, had wobbly rear wheels, 3 mismatched tires, and rusty handlebars. The frame was slightly bent, not enough to hurt anything - I consider that kind of a badge of honor dedicated to...
  2. xray

Ironhorse Warrior info - derailleur hanger, year, etc?

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone can point me at some resources. I've googled to no avail. I recently obtained an Ironhorse Warrior frame - it has a Manitou fork, hydraulic disc brakes, frame serial number is 06H0000260. I'm trying to determine year and exact model. This is a full...
  3. xray

Modest build - my new Electra based tricycle

Hey, all, I have not been around much lately - have just gotten involved in other things - but I'm working on a project that is almost done. I'll post some pix in the next couple of days. I bought a Dream Bike 7 speed tricycle conversion kit about a year ago and have been slowly working my way...
  4. xray

1962 Schwinn Typhoon double straight bars black

I've had my fun with this, and getting too many bikes in my garage. It's a black 62 Typhoon double straight bar bike in very decent restorable condition. Absolutely firm at $150 plus shipping with a very strong preference for a face to face direct hand-off rather than shipping so buyer can...
  5. xray

8 Chicago Schwinns $50

I had not been watching CL, because I have too many bikes. (Too many for my wife, I mean, one can never have too many bikes, right?) I checked in to CL a couple weeks ago and stumbled onto an ad for "8 Chicago Schwinns $50, take them all or take nothing." That was a little too tempting to...
  6. xray

Worksman Trike Mods

I've posted some stuff here about various Worksman trikes I've worked on - here's my wife's newest one with the latest mods still in progress but probably 90-95% done. This was our first new Worksman factory direct - she wanted black. I added an Ebikekits trike motor and controller, and she's...
  7. xray

Chain tensioning device for tricycle coaster brake - what is this thing called?

Edit: With further research, I've come up with two answers but I'll leave this up in case someone has another answer. I have found "drop out adjusters" (obvious) or "chain tugs." Even with this info, I am not having any luck finding these things yet. If anyone knows of a source, please let me...
  8. xray

Worksman Trike - rear axle bearing replacement

LATER EDIT: I'm sticking this info right at the beginning, in case someone else ends up here looking for the same kind of info. I discovered a significant but not insurmountable SNAG in my plans today. I decided to start pulling bearings out of another Worksman trike, using a Harbor Freight...
  9. xray

Glued-in tires?

Has anyone come across 2.25 inch tires GLUED into the rims? I've got a Schwinn Signature Hornet, 26" bike. I was going to swap in a motorized front wheel. When I got the wheel off and deflated the front tire, I discovered that it is very firmly glued into the rim, which was totally weird to...
  10. xray

One of oldest Harleys

11. xray

King on Bicycle Joker Tee Shirts

I've been dabbling in tee shirt design - I took this from a black and white joker card: These are print-on-demand, so they are a bit pricey, but available at: http://www.cafepress.com/xrayzebra/14646888
  12. xray

Tricycle kits?

Not so much a how-to question as a "have-you-ever and how-did-it-work-out" question. I'm wondering about buying a tricycle kit and converting a somewhat classic bike into a fancy trike. I see that trike kits are often offered with separate hollow hub kits that require you to build or have...
  13. xray

46 Schwinn? $200?

A local person is trying to help an 80 year old neighbor sell this restored 46 Schwinn for $200 I have not seen it in person yet, but the seller says the serial number is on the crank, that the serial number might make you think it is a 50s bike, but there is some story about a warehouse...
  14. xray

Shimano Nexus 8 speed coaster brake hub

I know from searching through old threads that, a while back, a number of members used Nexus 7 speed hubs on some bikes. I did not see much about coaster brake internally geared hubs , so I thought I'd post some observations in case anyone else wants to try the 8 speed. It IS a bit pricey...
  15. xray

62 Typhoon Nearing Completion

I've mentioned this Typhoon in a couple of other threads, particularly where I've asked advice on a couple of things, but I decided it's time to show what I've gotten done. I'll just post one nice photo for now. To date: I have cold set the rear end, spreading the dropouts to about 165...
  16. xray

Painting rims... part of the rims that is?

I'm still working on my 62 Typhoon rat, that I'm making into an 8 speed. I'm hoping it will be ready for some pix next week. I got the Nexus 8 speed coaster brake laced into a new rim, and got the rear triangles spread apart to accommodate it. I cold set the frame using the wooden clamps...
  17. xray

Truss bars?

Where do I come up with truss bars, and how do I size them? I never really liked the look of them until recently, but I have been seeing so many sharp bikes on here with truss bars that I am now considering adding some to my 62 Typhoon project. Or, maybe a front rack? m going the 26 inch...
  18. xray

What should I get for a modern Schwinn Signature line Hornet?

I have not seen a lot of these, but I have a Schwinn Signature Hornet, maybe 3 years old, in great shape. If you're not familiar, this is a sort of faux rat rod. It has flat black paint, blackout hardware, etc. Here's a photo: Aluminum frame, 3 speed coaster brake, 26 inch wheels...
  19. xray

Matching tire models and colors in different sizes?

I never realized how frustrating it would be to try to find tires that are basically the same model - same tread and color - in different sizes. I'm thinking of doing a bike with a 26x2.0 or 26x2.25 rear tire, and a 700c front wheel with maybe 1 3/8 tire? I've got the 26 inch rim being built -...
  20. xray

Rayskin

Anybody ever seen stingray grips? I don't mean Schwinn Stingray grips, I mean ray skin... stingray leather grips. I'm thinking that's what I want next. Wondering if I should just buy a package of scraps as it seems the cheapest way, or if I should kick it out and buy two pelts so I can match...
Back