Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. TheHoosierNovice

1950 or 1951 (?) CWC Roadmaster (?)

Picked up my first (and VERY crusty) CWC frame earlier this Fall for $30. Came with a set of 20-gauge wheels, a straight-trussed Shockmaster fork, and a coat of (lo-and-behold) spray undercoating over everything, but no badge (see 2nd photo). Stripping this "finish" away reveals a pitted but...
  2. TheHoosierNovice

"1942 SCHWINN VICTORY BIKE"

What exactly am I looking at here, and is it really anything all that "special"/rare? I've never seen/heard of a "Schwinn Victory Bike". Of course, the title, basic black paint, and lackluster look leaves me thinking about home-front production in the time of the Second World War, so I'm sure...
  3. TheHoosierNovice

"Slimline" Tanks

Stumbled across a red Schwinn Deluxe American of unknown vintage in the wilds of Indiana this past weekend, sans headlight, horn, and any racks, but with the original "Slimline" tank attached. Condition is maybe a 4/10 - not rideable, but not earthworm fodder, yet. What I'm interested in knowing...
  4. TheHoosierNovice

ISO 1950's 24" Schwinn front wheel/wheelset

Anyone have, or know where I can get a hold of, a 24" Schwinn front wheel or complete wheel set from somewhere between 1954 and 1958? I have a '56 Schwinn Racer in that size which I am hoping to get back on the road in the coming weeks, and could use some help locating these, as well as a clean...
  5. TheHoosierNovice

ISO 1950's 24" Schwinn front wheel/wheelset

Anyone have, or know where I can get a hold of, a 24" Schwinn front wheel or complete wheel set from somewhere between 1954 and 1958? I have a '56 Schwinn Racer in that size which I am hoping to get back on the road in the coming weeks, and could use some help locating these, as well as a clean...
  6. TheHoosierNovice

Best classic-looking saddle for <$75?

Looking for thoughts and opinions on the best (whether that means highest-quality, longest-lasting, etc. to RRB'ers) classically-styled saddle (leather, riveted, etc.) to be had for under $75.00? The Brooks B17, B72, and C17 come to mind as examples of "classic" styling, but often exceed the...
  7. TheHoosierNovice

No Man's Land: Schwinn Varsity

I'm putting together a build which has proven to agitate the purist cycling (how to say this?) "aficionados" which can be found elsewhere on the web, yet is nearly disqualified as a classic/rat-rod build, as well. I've welcomed myself to No Man's Land. The frame was a donation from a friend...
  8. TheHoosierNovice

Question Identifying Year: vintage Schwinn Varsity

This may be a stretch on RRB, but is anyone aware of a semi-accurate way (other than the serial stamp) to identify the year of a Schwinn road frame just by looking it over? I'm interested in this Varsity (link below), which the seller estimates to be a '60 or '61 model, but believe that such a...
  9. TheHoosierNovice

Where to get W/W S-6 (597mm)

Does anyone know where to source white-wall Schwinn S-6 (597mm) tires? I'm currently working on a 1956 Racer I recently acquired, and quickly realizing just how limited the options are.
  10. TheHoosierNovice

1950's Schwinn Paint Codes?

Does anyone know where I can find accurate paint codes for red Schwinn finishes from the late 1950's? I've heard Sherwin-Williams supposedly provided the Schwinn factory with its enamel paints at the time, and that their Automotive Finishes division can potentially look up the codes today. Any...
  11. TheHoosierNovice

Novice Questions: Springer forks, FELT fenders, S2 wheel sets, etc.

There's roughly a month to get a new build started before my schedule goes to crap and my "free time" plummets. I'm hoping to get a decent '60 Schwinn Tornado in rolling (obviously, no where near "finished") condition by mid-August. My parts lists (really more of a "wish list," as I'm hoping...
  12. TheHoosierNovice

'60 Tornado, Project "Tetanus"

As promised, I'm finally attempting to upload some pictures of my newest project, a late-1960 Schwinn Tornado, which will be built as a campus cruiser. I've got more than a few questions regarding the planned build, and hope the great folks here on RRB can supply many of the answers! I'll be...
  13. TheHoosierNovice

Hello from the Hoosier state!

Hi, all. I've been reading up on the seemingly immeasurable amount of tips and tricks on RRB for nearly two years and have finally decided to join. I've just picked up my third classic bike this past Saturday, a 26" Tornado Deluxe from (November?) 1960. This one makes my second Tornado, the...
Back