Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Kaiju II

The ring on the blue bike above is a small BMX ring. But I think I need more clearance there. the original BB will be the lowest point on the frame so I'm not sure I want the chain line any lower than that.
  2. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Kaiju II

Very similar to a derailleur, you can get a spring loaded hanger and gear. I have one and I'll probably be stealing the gear from it. That's a bit down the road. I still have to weld the frame all together before I start nailing down the chain line...
  3. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Kaiju II

@twojs.bike 's idea for a gear at the rear BB with the cranks cut off isn't so outlandish. Although even getting a sprocket this small to fit with any clearance at all would mean raising the BB some and I'd like to keep the bottom of the frame at about 3 inches off the ground... This is from a...
  4. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Kaiju II

way too convoluted and a full sprocket won't fit either imagine the 1x2 on the floor below the frame is the ground.... idler gear brother - trust me
  5. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Kaiju II

I might have to raise it just a bit cuz you know I need to run the chain UNDER the back BB to use the derailleur... Hmm maybe an idler gear next to the chainstay dimples? Then it could go next to the rear BB...
  6. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Kaiju II

Hey I did say I was in.... I also cut up the second build I ever did here, The Difference Engine. So now it's a Nishiki / Schwinn. No welding tonight just cutting and roughing it out. Beautiful day so it was time to get going on it...
  7. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Kaiju II

Hey did anybody say "On your marks, get set, GO!" ???
  8. GuitarlCarl

What have you been riding lately?

Nuthin' Didn't have to walk far but I was still walking...
  9. GuitarlCarl

the I'll show you OFF TOPIC bike thread

Thought I had a flat today but no... Hey! Where's my tire? Rolled across 3 lanes of traffic and into somebody's yard lol.
  10. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Lazyboy

HA! I was reading about the drain and then saw the picture of the Shimano cover and my brain went "Wait what?" "When did Shimano start making those?" So lol you got me on that one...
  11. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Lazyboy

I'm guessing the opposite side is pulling a spring...
  12. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Lazyboy

A flap wheel doesn't scratch like a wire wheel it polishes. I use one a lot to remove paint it leaves a nicer finish and you can clean up welds as well. Worth trying. I used wire wheels until I saw Luke often used a flap wheel, so I tried one. Rusty or thick paint I'm still starting with a wire...
  13. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 UNO under the SNO

LOL I'm not in Iowa but I ain't thawed out yet to get on mine either....
  14. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Lazyboy

You spoke of wire brushing the frame. But you have a hand grinder. Get a flap disk.
  15. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Vertigo Granny

I've built a few flip bikes and used the exact method, sliding the BB post into the original seat tube. They all eventually needed pinned. The seat post bolt isn't enough to hold the post from twisting when you get cranking on it. It'll cruise all day but getting on it will stress it till it...
  16. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Let’s Do This… Special

That's a nice looking frame brother. Looks big enough, must have been a man's bike. Those boys bikes are always too small.
  17. GuitarlCarl

the I'll show you OFF TOPIC bike thread

Still looking for one of those old tripod screw jacks with the crank on top. I'd like to incorporate it into a bike build. Maybe one of those MTB stretch bikes that go up into a tall bike when you lean forward. Imagine the crank doing the work rather than weight transfer and gas shocks. Long as...
  18. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 U-Haul State Core-Line

Two ways a guy can use those... Swap the clamp part out with the brake arms that are on the bars now or... Sand out a bit from the inside of the clamps. Sandpaper on a split dowel in a drill might work GC
  19. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Kaiju II

I actually like the recumbent/burrito position the best but laid back cruiser is good too. I'd like to get close to Harlequin's seating, 30" seat top to crank center. Anything in that area will be fine. When I want to make old guys smile I point out the "3 on the Tree"
  20. GuitarlCarl

SWB0 Kaiju II

As it sits today Not my favorite riding position...
Back