Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. A

1950s Western Flyer Rat Rod

Thanks!
  2. A

Re: 1950s Western Flyer? Refinished the vinyl on the seat today. Used a half yard of faux croc vinyl, some foam and contact adhesive and this is the finished product.
  3. A

Question about New Dept Model D

Hey thanks Crassly for the transfer spring. While disassembling my bicycle yesterday for clear coat i took apart the hub once again and replaced the transfer spring and the problem was taken care of. Thanks again for sending me that. Cheers.
  4. A

Re: 1950s Western Flyer? Thanks Nagant!
  5. A

Re: 1950s Western Flyer? Took the bike apart today to clear over the rust. Washed with warm soapy water and then sprayed some rustoleum clear over. Did darken up the color a bit but over all i think it looks alright.
  6. A

Sealing dusty rust

So i finally had time to disassemble for clear. I washed with warm water and threw some clear on her. Not to shabby looking!
  7. A

Cherryhurst Bikes in Houston, TX

So on Saturday, despite some nasty wet weather out of whim I decided to make a stop at a small bicycle event and swap meet that was going on in town. Cherryhurst Bikes was having an event to raise awareness for cyclist in the city of Houston. They had a bicycle contest, which was free, so I said...
  8. A

◘◘◘◘◘ \/\/estern ƒlyer Šuper ◘◘◘◘◘ first post-BO mod

Re: ◘◘◘◘◘ \/\/estern ƒlyer Šuper ◘◘◘◘◘ IT'S A RIDER How did you go about making new bushings? I have a X53 fork with really old springs I would like to replace. If I find a close set of springs how are the bushings held in place inside the spring? Thanks.
  9. A

The transfer spring is in there, what should i be looking for in the transfer spring? Anyway to retighten or how do i go about fixing the transfer spring assuming it is not broken? How do i know if its broken? thanks
  10. A

Is it normal for a New Departure model D hub to take a quarter turn before engaging after coasting? I have taken apart this hub about three times now and no matter what i do i get the same results. What is happening is that after pedaling if i coast for a bit and then go back to pedaling it...
  11. A

BlackJacked ~~ Done Jack!

Re: BlackJacked ~~ Back in the Black! What style bars are these? I like them
  12. A

Sealing dusty rust

That looks awesome. Thanks for the advise.
  13. A

Sealing dusty rust

Does anyone know how to seal rust to keep it from further rusting and to help with the dust rust creates? Is there any kind of oil or clear that can be put over rust? Any input would be appreciated.
  14. A

Re: 1950s Western Flyer? I built a front light fender bracket last night and converted this old light into a 16 LED front light, pretty bright for night ridding.
  15. A

Before & After Pics

Before After
  16. A

Re: 1950s Western Flyer? Thanks a lot Dr. T my first bike build and I'm glad I'm not the only one who's digging it. :D
  17. A

Gallery of Bare Metal Bikes

Here's my 1950s Western Flyer w/ X53 fork.
  18. A

Re: 1950s Western Flyer? Alright today I chopped the rear fender a bit, not much but might take it up a bit more. I'm still waiting for the fork clip that attaches to the head tube, it should be coming in the mail soon. I don't think ill be doing much to it. I might look for a nice leather...
  19. A

New Departure Model D Rebuild

So it's the plates doing the squeaking and not the "drum" pushing into the hub? I'm getting to the point where I'm considering taking the bicycle to a bike mechanic. I'm going to try and hone the plates like you said first.
  20. A

X53 fork and fender issue

I tried extending the stays but unfortunately the fender is held to the fork with nuts and screws so there's not much adjustment because the fender has to follow the contour of the fork fender at the top. I'm probably going to try and force the fender a bit more without breaking it. Maybe all it...
Back