Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Thxcuz

Band brake in front?

I’m curious about band brakes. Sheldon Brown claimed you should never have them on the front wheel. However, a few years back St. Louis used to have tons of rental bikes floating around (that were replaced later by electric scooters) that had band brakes in front. I don’t always agree with the...
  2. Thxcuz

Newbie from BelleVegas Illinois

Greetings from across the river (south city)
  3. Thxcuz

Home built frames

Show me your home built frames! I’m thinking about trying something with square tubing for maybe an e motorcycle. You guys would be te only ones who are cool enough to have done something similar
  4. Thxcuz

AMF roadmaster no spark

I would say go to moped army but the amf roadmaster will lead to hella moped shaming. They hate them. it’s actually more bicycle than moped anyway but so is a velosolex and moped geeks love them. I think they would be cool to convert to electric
  5. Thxcuz

Tell me if this is a dumb idea

I think it’s welded on. But you make a good point. I can just chop the whole steering tube and weld another one on. It’s gonna be hella heavy. But it’s either gonna be a gas bike or an ebike (or an e motorcycle I haven’t decided yet.)
  6. Thxcuz

Tell me if this is a dumb idea

I’ll probably try it anyway I’m trying to put a motorcycle fork on a bike frame. The steering tube is 1 inch but it is a metric thread (it’s from a cz Jawa motorcycle - I got a box of parts and a weed wacker for 20 bucks last summer and it’s just taking up space, I’ll never find a frame for the...
  7. Thxcuz

The electric mayhem (or how to screw with a perfectly good typhoon)

Took it out for a latte So far so good
  8. Thxcuz

I tried. It doesn’t fit.
  9. Thxcuz

I rode it today. It’s smoother than the townie, for sure but not quite as fast. I’m guessing due to the uneven weight distribution. The only way to mount the battery was in the back which is not ideal. But it still beats pedaling
  10. Thxcuz

I honestly thought this was going to be easier. I didn’t like the apes. I couldn’t find a good place on the frame to mount the battery so I had to use a rear rack. And yes I’m having trouble with the disk brake mounting. I was warned So here I am at the moment. I’ve got a rats nest of wires to...
  11. Thxcuz

I can’t seem to fit the front disk caliper anyway so I may order a big bmx brake for the front. In the back I’ll try the disk adapter and takes me chances. I’m not afraid to play grabass with the devil. I naturally favor the front brake and the motor cuts out when you pull the brake. I’ll...
  12. Thxcuz

It hasn’t wheelied on me yet. Front has its advantages. All the ebike snobs (yes, that’s a thing now) say mid-drive or nothing. I disagree. I like the hub motors and they are less expensive. Mid drives look better but you you break a chain you’re pushing.
  13. Thxcuz

SOLD OFFERS WELCOME SCHWINN HURRICANE part out

I love that long bread loaf seat
  14. Thxcuz

I made a little progress today I spread the rear so I can fit the wheel Changed the chainring to one from a multi speed bike. Attached the gear shift- I don’t have it set up yet though. I may tinker a bit tonight At least get the gears set
  15. Thxcuz

Let’s start with some backstory: I have a nice Electra townie that I put an electric hub motor on. It’s nice but there are a few issues. First off the townie, as you know has a unique frame and some parts of the kit - mainly the battery- don’t fit well on it Second issue is I feel the seat is...
  16. Thxcuz

Can't find a comfortable seat

Brooks now makes non leather seats. I know you said no brooks but it’s the only seat that doesn’t hurt my fat tucchas. If you’ve been riding since the 60’s I doubt there isn’t anything you haven’t tried. time to invent something cool and make a billion dollars.
  17. Thxcuz

What did it for you? why did you get hooked on bikes and hooked on this web site?

As a kid, riding a bike was just something you did. I inherited my brother’s roll fast muscle bike right when they were considered “old fashioned” and all the kids were riding bmx bikes. I moved up to an amf scorcher 10 speed. Calling that bike garbage is an insult to garbage. Nonetheless I rode...
  18. Thxcuz

Single speed to multi speed

So a multi speed chain will work on a single speed front sprocket? I guess it’s a width thing and not a chain size thing.
  19. Thxcuz

Help me bling my townie

I think I’m going to turn this back to the way it was and take my ebike kit to another bike
  20. Thxcuz

Single speed to multi speed

I may be getting a typhoon (not sure of the year) I’m gonna move my ebike kit from my Electra townie to the typhoon. can I add a rear derailleur and use the 7 speed freewheel if I swap the front chainring with one from a varsity? why do this? I dunno I do plan on adding disk brakes to this...
Back