Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. danthrift71

Earth Rat Cruiser

+1. Kos style bars would feel good on that frame. Maybe some motorcycle bars.
  2. danthrift71

Oxalic acid

OA works very well on chrome. Do not use any abrasive on chrome. e.g. steel wool, any metal brush, etc... Chrome will get "hazy" or worse. OA and a soft towel will do wonders. I've also seen very good results with a vinegar soak. With either, be careful not to allow to soak too long. Both...
  3. danthrift71

North Florida "First Coast Sand Jam" weekly ride

The First Coast Sand Jam is a weekly ride starting in Jacksonville Beach, FL. All are welcome. We start at the public parking lot next to "Sneakers" sports bar in Jax Bch. Thursday evenings and rolling out around 7:00pm. We usually cruise up to Neptune Beach or maybe even a little into...
  4. danthrift71

Looking for Inspiration...

8 track
  5. danthrift71

26 inch bmx questions for a potential build

Laguna forks were Chromoly. Easy to distinguish by "L" shaped cutout in dropouts. Matching fork will help resale value if that is a concern. Most folks don't get too crazy on their Laguna Cruisers so strength should not be an issue. I have jumped a few curbs on my Laguna but would not do...
  6. danthrift71

chrome spokes

Stainless will polish very easily and look as good as chrome plating for a long time. Chrome plate will chip as the spokes flex.
  7. danthrift71

Coaster to freewheel?

Yes. Saw some decent videos on youtube. Also good thread here in how to section.
  8. danthrift71

Can anyone tell me how to put a rear disc on a skyway?

There were some coaster brake 24"s a while back. One may pop up someday.
  9. danthrift71

Your bike is seriously cool with the Tuffs on it. Have you considered 990 mounts under the chainstays?
  10. danthrift71

I have ridden a prototype 20" Skyway Tuff with a disc brake compatible Profile hub. Was told it would never go to production. I don't think the aluminum flanges are stout enough to support a disc brake but, Tuff Wheels with aluminum flanges are in production now. Contact PlanetBMX.com for...
  11. danthrift71

Bmx seats

planetbmx.com
  12. danthrift71

20" Mini Bomber

Way cool.
  13. danthrift71

longer caliper brakes?

Yup. Caliper brakes come in sizes. Most brands, the model name indicates the length of the caliper arms. e.g. Dia-Compe 1020 is longer than the 890... BMX/Beach Cruiser sizes should do the trick for you. 890-1020. Somewhere in that range. Avoid anything off of a "10 speed" (skinny tires).
  14. danthrift71

Recommend Aluminum Rims?

For old school rims, Araya 7X rims are hard to beat. Lower priced versions of the same design are available from Sumo (also old school) and brand new ones from Weinmann. New school (read double wall) rims will be stronger. Tons of good rims in 1.75" width. Alex DM24 gets spec'd on a lot of...
  15. danthrift71

Painted rims with caliper brakes

Expect paint to wear off of the braking surface almost instantly. Powdercoat will last a bit longer. You may want to do what BMX guys refer to as "Shine side" rims. Basically, after the rim is finished, the sidewalls are machined to bare metal.
  16. danthrift71

My COPPER Creation (pic heavy)

Holy Smokes !!! That is beautiful. Imagine what you'll have to do for your 2nd build.
  17. danthrift71

Skyway Mag cracking issues??

Cracking around the flanges is common on older Tuffs. Shouldn't hurt to cruise. Don't get crazy with tire psi. 45 is about it. If you just have to save the OG Tuffs, PlanetBMX.com has new Tuffs in lavender made from the same molds used in the 80's. New Tuffs also have sealed bearings.
  18. danthrift71

WalMart DunRite

8) . Looks comfy too.
Back