Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. shawn57187

Is this fork bent?

I'm not much of a road bike guy (in fact, I've never owned one before!) and I just picked up a vintage Trek 560 project bike. The guy who owned it is a bicycle mechanic and swears the fork isn't bent, I feel otherwise. Usually the fork should line up perfectly with the head tube...or is it...
  2. shawn57187

50's Murray Strato lite....whats it worth?

If you do all that, you're going to be in it for a lot more money. It will be harder, much harder, to get a profit from it at $150. If you're going to sell it, I'd leave it as-is. Otherwise, rat away. 8)
  3. shawn57187

1937 Elgin

Cool bike! For a serious collector, it probably has diminished value because of the home repaint. Its only original once! But as a rat rod builder its a good base! Its worth at least several hundred dollars. Good find :D
  4. shawn57187

1941 ? BROWN COLUMBIA STERLING BIKE BALLOON BICYCLE

Re: 1941 ? COLUMBIA STERLING BIKE BALLOON BICYCLE That's a dirty bike! With a little work she'll clean up nicely and still have a great patina :D Good find!
  5. shawn57187

Pre-War Elgin- All Cleaned Up.

Since you switched up the pedals, would you sell the original ones? :) Looks good by the way!!
  6. shawn57187

Colson frame for build

Haha I see. That's definitely one of the most detailed fire truck toys I've ever seen. Must have cost a fortune :wink:
  7. shawn57187

Colson frame for build

Really?! That looks like a real truck to me! :shock:
  8. shawn57187

western flyer let down :(

Don't beat yourself up, these things happen! Plus that bike still looks really cool! I can't even count the number of times where I bought a bike that needed tons more work than expected or the model was different than advertised, etc. After all that calling and emailing its hard to come home...
  9. shawn57187

Pre-War Elgin- All Cleaned Up.

Re: Pre-War Elgin That bike is definitely Westfield built, but it has a lot of extras too! It looks a lot like my mid 40s Columbia / Westfield. My guess is your bike was restored awhile ago since the paint is newer and the seat was recovered. Same tank, fenders, sprocket, stem, bars, truss...
  10. shawn57187

American Restoration

I'm discouraged to hear the restorations are done poorly - they seem like nice guys. The only bicycle project I can recall was an ice cream delivery bicycle restoration that was done in a lot of low value replacement parts instead of the original Schwinn gear. I would have expected all the...
  11. shawn57187

New Departure Model D Help

I'm rebuilding a New Departure Model D hub and I have a few questions... :D First of all, most of the reference threads show brass discs (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30484), but mine are are all steel. I'm curious about the difference, is it significant? The outer edges of the discs are covered with...
  12. shawn57187

VoodooDos

Love the detail in the paint :)
  13. shawn57187

How screwed am I?

I was disassembling an old bicycle and the expansion bolt sheered off inside the stem. About this much of the expansion bolt came out: The stem is solidly stuck in place. Any tips on how to disassemble this headset or at the very least remove the stem? Thanks!
  14. shawn57187

Cleanest Schwinn Cruiser I have ever seen.

That bike would look great with some gold araya / ukai rims! It would fit with the BMX look and still be correct for the vintage :wink: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMX-cruiser-Gol ... 416d6e0c90
  15. shawn57187

'58 Jag

Now that's a survivor! That's a gorgeous bike! All she needs is a little cleaning, a little polish, new tires... :D
  16. shawn57187

Schwinn Tiger

Re: Schwinn Tiger Most bike shops have special tools for straightening forks. I think it would be worth the money to have them do it, as getting the proper alignment can sometimes be pretty difficult. I love the Tiger by the way, my first restoration was on a 1956 Schwinn Tiger.
  17. shawn57187

1940 Columbia Skip tooth... haunted?

Haha, loving the Christine references. There has been no ghost activity since getting the bike. Maybe once the back hub is a little more freed up, the bike will start riding around on its own. :shock: I actually found the correct torrington pedals in my box-o-junk, but I totally want those...
  18. shawn57187

1940 Columbia Skip tooth... haunted?

Found this bike on CL. It was owned by the seller's father-in-law. After he died, the bike then was owned by the seller's brother-in-law who added the WW tires. Unfortunately he too comitted suicide. The family decided the bike had too many negative memories associated with it so they wanted it...
  19. shawn57187

66' TYPHOON - DETAIL COMPLETE

I re-packed a Bendix 2 speed automatic hub not that long ago. It was in a bad way, so I thought I had nothing to lose by re-building it. Anyways, once I took it apart, I realized it wasn't as complicated as it seems. That said... I would make sure to take it apart and put it together in one...
  20. shawn57187

Lacing old hubs to new rims

I have a new project from RRB user HeySlugger, it's a 50's Columbia Speed Liner. :D I'm thinking awesome commuter since the bike was a "light weight" for its day. The current rims take 26x1.5 tires but they are totally rusted through and unusable. I was thinking of doing a 700c rim swap with...
Back