Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. J

Big Wheel-like trike

That one looks a lot more comfortable and like it might fit adults! Looks fun. These things are headsnappers so watch out for your neck!
  2. J

Big Wheel-like trike

You guys are incredible! Searched eBay and it looks like they are selling for about $100-200. Now... do I let the kids keep playing with it or make myself a little beer money :)
  3. J

Big Wheel-like trike

No identifying markings. For little kids. Joystick controls the rear wheels making for an interesting ride. Bought at secondhand store only because I had never seen something like it before. What is it? Worth anything? Thanks!
  4. J

My 2nd welding project - Tall bike

I realized the long curvy stem made it hard to control, so I cut it down to something more reasonable and it's super easy to ride now. The long stem looks straight in this picture but there's a slight curve near the top. I think the lines look much better now too. The small wheels also make it...
  5. J

looking into getting a welder? need help

I'm only on my 2nd bike welding project, so my opinion is as good as my welds! But... as a newbie, I settled on the Harbor Freight 80amp Inverter Arc Welder http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog/pr ... egory/434/ (HF haters, please don't pound on me). Main reasons were because I wanted...
  6. J

BicycleMotoRat

Love the "thinkin' out of the box" creativity. I'm all for low-cost, high-uniqueness! Let's build things no one's seen before!
  7. J

Will give that a try. Thx! OK, if you say so! That was definitely be my preference. Just wasn't sure how safe it'd be welding the dropouts like that. But if you had success with it, I may give it a go. The donor bike I have though doesn't have the same type of dropouts so it'll be interesting...
  8. J

"Work of art" may be pushing it, but thx! I may try different handlebars too to give it a little more flare. I was thinking about that too. That may be my route. Thx for the confirmation. Btw, I need a couple other ideas... 1. I neglected to screw on the locknut of the threaded headset...
  9. J

Welded on a seat tube and a seat stay. Will probably add an identical seat stay on the other side. All these extra tubing was from a donor cruiser. And here she is with the smaller front wheel to minimize the head tube rake. Lazy man's way of fixing the floppy steering, which is not very...
  10. J

Been awhile since I posted. Didn't even realize there were responses. I must not have clicked that "notify me" thing. Thx for the tips on cleaning up the welds. Gonna leave them for now. Weak, I don't want. But ugly, I'm ok with that! Here is a high school kid (one of the braver ones) on the...
  11. J

Been a couple months since I completed my 1st frame modification involving a welder (stick). I'm a newbie welder, but she's still holding up so I think I'm ready to go on to welding project #2. Well, not ready in the sense that I'm a more proficient welder, but just ready to start hacking away...
  12. J

Have your tastes changed since coming here?

I'd say yes. Then... I was a centrist, moderate, just want to revive an old bike back to its glory, maybe add a little personality. Now... I just want crazy, absurd, sick! RRB gives me inspiration and permission to do that!
  13. J

Trike to Rickshaw Conversion (lots of pics)

You inspire me. Love trike builds. I think we'd have a happier world if more people rode trikes, especially like yours!!!
  14. J

SWAMP RAT

Any progress? Really curious how this turned out. I may have to copy some of the designs here!
  15. J

Re: My first "cut and weld" ratrod... Needs just eye candy

Thanks! I think the bike itself ended up ok, but it was the process that was really interesting. For me, it bumped up the challenge and creativity factor (and sustained my interest) exponentially. Can't wait to tidy up this build and start another welding project. I got my one mulligan out of my...
  16. J

Challenge: Ideas for simple trike drivetrain

I recently started welding so I'm definitely looking for welded options. Now, don't ask if I can weld WELL! One idea I came across is to just build an axle with hubs per atomic zombie's tutorial... http://www.atomiczombie.com/Tutorial%20-%20No%20Lathe%20Trike%20Hubs%20-%20Page%201.aspx but I'm...
  17. J

Challenge: Ideas for simple trike drivetrain

I'd like to try building a trike by modifying old bicycle parts (ie, no trike frame and wheels to start with). Any suggestions on how to build a trike drivetrain including the wheels, by using existing bicycle parts and without buying any special components? I'm cheap, but also enjoy a good...
  18. J

Ah, ok you're forgiven. Them things would be coffee table legs and I'm now constantly looking out for metal things too that could be made into bikes... makes me be more observant of my surroundings :)
  19. J

Thanks all. Going on vacation soon, so it's timed well to let the paint cure. And then I'll get to those final pesky details. Is it just me or are these final details the easiest to do, but hardest to get mentally motivated about?! Uh, if you're referring to the seat upholstery, did you read...
  20. J

A family affair. Wife's "gonna donate to Goodwill" dress + kids' pipe cleaners + extra foam laying around = new cushy seat. And I finally got the sissy bars painted so all the key components are in place... The rest of the to-do list are relatively minor... - Replace pink pedals -...
Back