Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. G

Making a frame+ parts rusty

There's a post in the How To Index that has the solution (look in the paint section of the how to index). Dissolve copper (use speaker wire) in Muriatic acid (for swimming pools). I used this on my '41 Schwinn which I had stripped to bare, shiney metal. After rusting I painted with a matte...
  2. G

Suicide shifter 3 spd

Here's my three speed conversion: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59874 Not a hub mount but this might give you some ideas. Here's another post that has a bunch of different setups: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=34748
  3. G

Stick Shifters Vs Grip

I converted my grip shift to stick shift, here's the link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59874
  4. G

Twist grip to Stick shift example

Version 1.1 became necessary when the shift lever twisted off the gear selector. I half expected a failure at that connection, it was only a small bead of epoxy and my epoxy was not fresh. I think the biggest contributor to the failure was the torque required to rotate the shifter, great when...
  5. G

Gallery of Bare Metal Bikes

I like a little rust on my bare metal, especially when it was originally built in 1941
  6. G

lets see those old school / custom shifters.

Here's a 3 speed bar end twist grip shifter converted to stick shifter:
  7. G

Twist grip to Stick shift example

Here's one solution for a stick shift. I started with a 3 speed twist shifter Fabricated a stub mount using a piece of handlebar, a stainless strap, a captured nut and bolt Cut the twist shift down to just the shifter gate then filed nubs on the end (kind of like the points on a crown) to...
  8. G

skip tooth cog with a snap ring?

It's the same one in the link by ozzmonaut a couple replys up. I believe it was under $20.
  9. G

skip tooth cog with a snap ring?

I found the guy on ebay (skiptooth2) that is the source of the new snap ring skip tooth cogs and got his last one, quality product, quick service. He is starting another run and I suggested he put a post on this site. The new cog is 1 tooth less than my original so I had to shorten my chain by...
  10. G

Schwinn 1950s Spitfire Skiptooth loose Chain

You don't have to have the tool, you can improvise. I used a piece of scrap 2x4, drilled a hole slightly larger than the size of the link pin then drilled the same size hole in a piece of scrap angle iron (like an old bed frame, just needs to be something fairly thick). Place the angle iron on...
  11. G

Grandpa's Schwinn Springer

Been stalled for a while on wheels, LBS was unable to lace my rear hub to the original rim, not strong enough, couldn't get it close to straight. Went ahead and got a new rim laced to my 3 spd hub for the rear and a new matching front wheel. Fixed the lower rear fender mount with a tab...
  12. G

Modern kick back hub questions.

No response from the ebay seller, looking for other options now. Thinking of taking a skip tooth cog to a machine shop to convert to the snap ring connection of the new hub.
  13. G

I followed the various links and just sent a request to the source to find out if he has any more in the works. The ad is for a cog for a Shimano hub, I have a Sturmey Archer so I asked the source about a cog that would fit the Sturmey hub. I'll post the response when I hear back.
  14. G

Any sightings of the snap ring inch pitch cog? I have a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub that I want to use on my '41 Schwinn and I would like to keep the inch pitch front sprocket. I'd rather not use a 1/2 inch pitch cog with every other tooth removed because those cogs are thinner and I don't want...
  15. G

Greets from Germany and from my NoNamCustoms

What brand 3 speed hub is that?
  16. G

Source for wheels/hoops

So, if the hoops are shot and I need new hoops can anyone recommend good sources for hoops or even full wheel sets?
  17. G

Source for wheels/hoops

Re: Bent Rim? Just came back from the LBS, it's not a tolerance issue, the hoop looks way out of round at this stage. The head technician who worked on the wheel was not there but another guy had said that when they started tensioning the spokes the hoop started tweaking, they thought maybe...
  18. G

Source for wheels/hoops

I have a '41 Schwinn I'm working on, the rims were pretty rusty but appeared straight. I had the rims blasted and powdercoated then took the rear to the LBS to have it laced to a 3 speed hub. After a month the LBS calls me and tells me they can't get the rim to true up, asked me if the rim was...
  19. G

Pressed Bearing Removal

I'm trying to clean and grease a Schwinn front hub, unknown year, the bearings and dust shields dont want to come out, seems they are a pressed fit. I tried a large nail with the head on the back of the bearing cage, they don't want to drive out. The components are not that crusty, is the fit...
  20. G

How to fix broken fender mount

"are you gonna paint em' or are you rolling that patina? " Patina for the Tetanus Cruiser
Back