Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. expjawa

VOTE HERE!!!

Have to agree with King. While I'm pleased to have a vote, the fact that so many awesome bikes only have a couple is testament to just amazing everyone's has gotten. Every vote gotten by the leaders is a vote earned. I'm just as pleased that 2 of the 3 that I voted for are at the top so far...
  2. expjawa

VOTE HERE!!!

My votes are in. Lots of really cool bikes this time around, so it was real tough to choose. Good job to everyone competing!
  3. expjawa

Official RRB Build Off 9 Finished Bike List

Can this photo be used for mine once the Copper Chopper makes the list? Thanks Not sure why its rotated; it looks upright on the actual Photobucket page...
  4. expjawa

Copper Chopper!

Thank you. A lot of the parts were simmering for quite a while, so the last week was just putting it all together and tightening bolts. But it was still a bit of a push to get there, and my entire house is trashed due to neglecting other chores... :D
  5. expjawa

Copper Chopper!

Thank you, sir. And here's a few more photos while I can still squeeze them in...
  6. expjawa

Copper Chopper!

Thanks guys. You'd have to see the first page or so of the build thread. But it was it was spacier and a bit radical by comparison.
  7. expjawa

Copper Chopper!

I set out this year, initially, to do something a bit over the top. Then I realized what I had in mind would take more time to do it right than I really had. So, I relaxed my objective to just building something cool that I'd enjoy riding about. To that end, I present to you the Copper...
  8. expjawa

The Copper Chopper!

I've finished off the headlight and mounted it. I wound up using P-clamps on the truss tubing to through bolt the wings, using brass 10-32 hardware. The tubing was shined up and grained to match the rest of the brushed finish on the copper and aluminum. Regarding brass hardware, I used...
  9. expjawa

The Copper Chopper!

OK, fins up! Sorry for the delay in reporting, but a busy day at work and frequent conference calls prevented posting. The fin modules were finished last night, with the copper accents riveted on: I used aluminum rivets to contrast the copper, elsewhere I am using copper rivets to contrast...
  10. expjawa

The Copper Chopper!

Thanks. I've got a lot going on right now, so I can't post too much detail till later. But for now, I will leave you with the following little nugget:
  11. expjawa

The Copper Chopper!

Thank you, sir! Progress goes on with the hammer formed tank, but its much slower than I anticipated. The copper work hardens quickly as its formed, so going from this: To this: takes a lot of cycling between hammering and heating it with a torch to anneal it, making it soft and malleable...
  12. expjawa

The Copper Chopper!

Thank you. Working on the fins last night, which were cut out from aluminum sheet over the weekend. I'm not sure what's up with this image, but I think that the flourecent light was messing with the camera lens somehow. This is actually trimmed down from the original cutout, they were taller...
  13. expjawa

The Copper Chopper!

Well, it's what I'm attempting. I'm not sure if I can get the tight corners to form around cleanly, though. In retrospect, I probably should attempted a simpler form first. Anyway, I have enough copper sheet left to make a tank plate as a back-up plan. At this point, I think I'd rather use...
  14. expjawa

The Copper Chopper!

Post weekend update: with the band saw up and running again, I was able to cut out a number of trim and small parts that I plan to use. Some to formed (like the tail fins previously mentioned), some just flat, like this tank accent piece I cut from aluminum: The bigger part of the project is...
  15. expjawa

Howe Caverns Bicycle Show and Swap Meet Sunday July 27th.

I'll be there in the morning, probably a little after 9:00. But if it looks likely to be wet, we probably won't want to make a 4 hour drive to sit in the rain with stuff for sale.
  16. expjawa

The Copper Chopper!

OK, a few shots of where things stand at the moment. The seat is on for real now, but the fender is still set in place. I dug up a Stewart-Warner speedometer and stuck it on, even though I have no drive cable for it. Maybe I'll find one soon. Anyway, here: The fork legs and...
  17. expjawa

The Copper Chopper!

OK, while I had dinner cooking on the grill, I took up my coil of 3/8" copper tubing, and pulled an Egon Spangler and straightened it out. Little by little, my OCD side tweaked it as straight as I could make it. Using a tubing cutter, I split it in two: Both pieces are excessively long...
  18. expjawa

The Copper Chopper!

LOL OK, update time. After putting another coat on the crankset, I installed that last night. You can sort of see the hammertoniness (I'm pretty sure that is the technical term) of the finish. Once nice thing is that it hides flaws fairly well. The bearings that came with the set were...
Back