Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. C

How secure cog to Nexus hub?

Many thanks Rooski. I got stuck thinking about it only one way :oops: . Doh! And I missed that tech sheet when I searched for one.
  2. C

How secure cog to Nexus hub?

I received these parts with my Nexus 3sp hub: I haven't put the cog and snap ring onto the hub yet, but when I put the cog onto the hub by itself, it appears as though the snap ring will not snug up against it and the cog will rattle in place. The part between the cog and snap ring in the...
  3. C

? Denver, June 1

I'll be in Denver this week and would like to get myself somewhere where I can check out the weekly cruiser ride. I understand the ride begins in three different spots and then then coalesces into the party it eventually becomes for all at some point prior to the finish spot. I'm staying near...
  4. C

the Devils Golden Fiddle

I'm building a bike the just happens to be in the same paint scheme as your truck! :D Using Duplicolor green Metal Specks as the primary finish on the frame and adding black accents. Your build bike looks great. I really dig the stripe on the tires.
  5. C

Schwalbe Big Apple tire?

Anyone have experience with the Schwalbe Big Apple tire? I'm possibly interested in using the 26 x 2.125 as a front tire and wonder how it might compare to a Fat Frank in terms of handling and grip.
  6. C

Seeking suggestions for tank plate metal source

I want to make a tank plate out of sheet metal and I'm a bit stumped on potential sources for cheap. There are plenty of metal fab shops in the local area willing to sell me something but I'd consider that or a small sheet from a big box store only as last resorts. Any suggestions for where to...
  7. C

Ally Learns To Ride - Now With Silly Bike

Re: Ally Learns To Ride :D :D :D :D :D Thanks for sharing.
  8. C

How? Bob a rear fender.

Thanks guys. Just this evening I had the same idea of tracing the front fender shape onto the rear for a pattern. Seems like a good idea. I have a Dremel, some cutoff wheels, grinding points, and sanding discs. I'll give it a try. Tailwinds, that paint job is a beauty. I've been...
  9. C

How? Bob a rear fender.

I'm giving some thought to bobbing a rear fender. I haven't done this before so am seeking advice on best ways to stabilize the material as well as tool(s) for cutting it. I have a hack saw and a 4.5" angle grinder available, but no vise unfortunately. Cliff
  10. C

Need adwise for swing bike

There is a typo in this link. It needs to be edited to http, not hhttp. It comes up correctly once the correction is made.
  11. C

Tank plate question

I'm thinking of including a sheet metal tank plate in a build and will begin by making a cardboard template. What's the best way to get a well-fitting template, say with about 1/8" of clearance from the frame all around? I thought I could trace around the inside of the tubes as a rough start...
  12. C

How to remove rusty stem?

+1 :D I had the exact same issue recently so I used a steel rod and a hammer to bang on the frozen quill. Eventually I was able to twist the stem out of the steerer tube and remove the fork without any more drastic measures (like cutting the stem off so it will slide through the head tube).
  13. C

Seat pan reconstruction?

Did some work I spent some time repairing my seat pan using JB Weld Stik. I'd never used the product, so there was a bit of a learning curve for the modeling technique. I finally realized I could freehand mold it best if my fingers were wet once I started applying it to the pan. The...
  14. C

Seat pan reconstruction?

I haven't worked with JB Weld, so I went to their web site after reading this idea and found their JB Stik product: http://jbweld.net/products/jbstik.php. This looks interesting and promising to me. In thinking about covering the top pan with fiberglass, it occurred to me that it might not...
  15. C

Seat pan reconstruction?

I won't have time to work on this until the weekend, but starting with a small patch of cloth over the really compromised areas was how I thought I'd start, and then do a full coverage layer or two of cloth and resin once the base is more solid. The nose portion in particular is very flimsy...
  16. C

Seat pan reconstruction?

Yes, hex on top of square nuts on the seat springs, as it was when I got the bike. I've gotten all the nuts loosened and I'm going to put some time into cleaning everything up.
  17. C

Seat pan reconstruction?

Dig it! Great suggestion Walker, thanks. I'll be off to buy a small fiberglass repair kit :).
  18. C

Cyclotrope

Wow that's cool!!
  19. C

Seat pan reconstruction?

Here's the seat from my project. The bottom pan has surface rust but is solid and intact. The top pan is much more rusted and I could feel soft spots in the metal as I disassembled it. Turns out the top pan is in pretty bad shape. Here are both sides of the top pan after I sandblasted...
  20. C

Two frame disassmbly questions

Winner! This one worked :D. Thanks everyone for all the advice.
Back