Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. asdfqwer426

forgotten but not lost

this was the first rebuild i had ever done. honestly, i didnt even do that good of a job. just sanded it a little bit, lubed it up, stole some mountain bike tires off of a junker and mostly gave it a rattle can paint job. luckily i used a camera phone, and the poor picture quality really makes...
  2. asdfqwer426

forgotten but not lost

my grandparents shed caught fire 30 some years ago, and this bike was in it. a couple years ago I found it laying around behind their place, forgotten in some weeds, with the melted dripping rubber still on the pedals. and took this picture of it in front of their field before I rebuilt the...
  3. asdfqwer426

making a tank?

I did try the wanted section, and got no hits. and I've been scouring ebay. trying all different variations, murray, j c higgins etc. I got nothing on any of them. I've read in the past about people making actual gas tanks, like for motorcycles, by shaping it out of styrofoam, fiberglassing...
  4. asdfqwer426

making a tank?

so I've just about given up looking for a tank for my 50's murray bike. I was hoping to find one mainly to hide an actual small gas tank in for a motorized bike kit i'm putting on my bike. I'm not a big fan of the big tear drop tank that the kit comes with. anyway, I've decided that making a...
  5. asdfqwer426

smoothness of new departure D?

I do oil it, I've got a pump can. although I use 30 weight oil.
  6. asdfqwer426

smoothness of new departure D?

hey guys, so i've got a new departure model D as my coaster brake hub, I love the vintage-ness of having that brake. When I ride my bike it feels to coast all right, but when I lift up the back wheel and go to spin it, most of the time it doesn't even make a single revolution. clearly its not...
  7. asdfqwer426

Modern kick back hub questions.

Hello. So I've got a new departure model d hub with skip tooth chain and sprockets on my bike. I would like to maybe upgrade to a new modern kick back hub but still retain my skip tooth. Does anyone know if any of the new ones attach the sprocket the same as a new departure hub? Or would I have...
  8. asdfqwer426

old pedal twisting (problem?)

the bolt idea had crossed my mind but i wasnt sure if that would fix it or if the real problem was wear on other parts. but i suppose bolts are easier to mess with in the long run. have you had much luck with the bolts? thanks.
  9. asdfqwer426

old pedal twisting (problem?)

hey, so i've got these old pedals on my bike, and i really like them. but they're having some twisting problems. I've included pictures. I'm wondering if i should be concerned about this as i don't want them to break on me. I would think most of my weight would be on the middle peg that bolts...
  10. asdfqwer426

wiring up generator,tail/headlight combo

I had thought of drilling, but wasn't sure if i wanted something so permanent. also, the tubes on this bike are tapered in places, so one section i would have to drill has a pretty small diameter. I might look into getting some of that copper tubing, it seems like a pretty solid idea if i can...
  11. asdfqwer426

Hawthorne teardown problems

i had a problem similar to this with my bike just recently, it would only come out/in at a particular angle, where the bend would face down, so the crank corner/bend didn't hit any of the welded in pipes in the tube, also, on my bike to get it back in i actually had to keep the sprocket loose on...
  12. asdfqwer426

wiring up generator,tail/headlight combo

hey, so i've got one of those 6v generator with tail light and headlight set ups, and it works great, but i need to find a way to tuck the wire out of sight. my bike does not have a tank, so it can't go through there. I'd like to find a better looking solution than simply taping or zipties. any...
  13. asdfqwer426

identification

yeah, after putting it all back together with some new parts here and there i felt like i was riding really close to the handlebars. i ended up flipping the lucky 7 post around and putting the seat on it backwards, so it was the right way again, that actually helped a lot.
  14. asdfqwer426

identification

Thank you! Thank you so much! kind of a bummer the sprocket wasn't original, but oh well. I really appreciate your help.
  15. asdfqwer426

identification

so I found this bike in my uncles barn on his farm. he said he got it pretty new around 1960, although with the new departure and skip tooth i'm sure if it would have been brand new. it was covered in rust, the old wheels were shot, and the chain was almost solid from rust. but i really wanted...
Back