Search results

1. SSG

Bad Ebay bike deals.

These bikes retail for $148 new. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xhuffy+nel+lusso.TRS0&_nkw=huffy+nel+lusso&_sacat=177831
  2. SSG

Cheap American 10 speeds with cottered cranks.

Here's an untouched example of the western flyer version, basically the same as the huffy. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Flyer-AltaTechnic-Racing-Bike-HQ12-Lug-Frame-High-Speed-Bike/373059992582?hash=item56dc1bbc06:g:2vgAAOSw1T1exa13
  3. SSG

BO15 XLR8

I had to add a bit of clearance for the hub and sprocket. I put the swingarm together this way with the dropouts on the outside edge to make it as narrow as possible.
  4. SSG

BO15 XLR8

Thats the idea right now, If it doesn't work out like I want it's easy to make it rigid.
  5. SSG

BO15 XLR8

I made a little progress on the back of the bike. It's been a bit slow going, but it's getting there. I ended up putting the rear wheel a bit farther back which stretches out the bike a bit. Hopefully this will help the leg room without the seat ending up behind the axle.
  6. SSG

What is this thing?

Heavy is right, everything is steel and cast iron. They are very high quality. I'd like to know how much they cost new.
  7. SSG

BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Everything on this bike looks sharp.
  8. SSG

Could someone explain this headtube to me.

It's a short head tube with what appears to be internal headset bearings on the bottom at least.
  9. SSG

Chopping a Frame

Don't those bikes have aluminum frames? That complicates things a bit for the average backyard builder.
  10. SSG

BO15 XLR8

I easily spend more time looking at pieces to figure out how I can make them work, than I do actual fabricating.
  11. SSG

The Beast

Looks good, now you just need some of those air caliper brakes.
  12. SSG

Folding bikes

I have this Rapido I can never seem to get around to finishing.
  13. SSG

BO15 Star Chaser

"Putty and paint make the welder I ain't"
  14. SSG

Speaking of Schwinn, they are one of the few American brands that did use their own cottered cranks. They had them on 40's to 60's mid to high end lightweights, track bikes and some of the higher end tandems. Around 1970 they went to square taper.
  15. SSG

BO15 XLR8

It does have a motorbike vibe, like a triumph frame without a tank. That's probably the direction I'll go with the design, although probably a little less classy than that harley and a bit more mad max. No engines this time though.. Yesterday I found some tubing for the chain-stays, but they'll...
  16. SSG

That's one of the Korean made Murrays for sure.
  17. SSG

"Made in USA" final assembly done in USA with foreign parts
  18. SSG

BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Great job utilizing the shapes of those two donor frames.
  19. SSG

BO15 XLR8

First I cut off the part I can use. With a head tube welded on I have something I can start designing around. I don't really have a plan or theme in mind, I'm just building it as I go along with whatever junk I have laying around.
  20. SSG

BO15 XLR8

I dragged this Exercycle exercise bike frame out of the woods. It'll be the base for this build.