'57 Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I've got this '57 Schwinn that someone already ratted out :21:

IMAG7888_zpsju882m6x.jpg

I changed the tires from some rotten ones to these white walls [china made amazon purchase].

I'd like to put the paint back to the original color or an original Schwinn color. Or just got custom with a heavy gold flake on a midnight blue.

Here is the paint that I found while cleaning it up recently:

IMAG7889_zpsfcytxpd2.jpg

I bought it for $100 and I was not believing the guy when he said it was a '57 and was surprised when I looked up the serial number. I was in the market for a cruiser and I was actually on my Fuji hybrid when I saw this one for sale in front of a shop.

I'd like to get some of the original pieces that the bike came with. I really need a kickstand and this one seems to have shed it somewhere in it's life.

Here is what my kickstand holder looks like:

IMAG7890_zpslskoebu3.jpg

I bought one off eBay that claimed to be vintage, well it didn't even fit in the dang hole. $25 shot. A reputable seller would be nice if you guys have some or maybe even a real store that isn't going to rip me off just because it's an old bike.

What's the serial number? It may be a Huffy from the 60's, just guessing. 8Hxxxxx would mean 1968 or 78 on that frame. The first number before a letter is the last digit of the year, the decade is a guess depending on the other characteristics. If the bike is straight and rides well, you couldn't find a new one of that quality for just 100 bucks, so maybe it wasn't that bad a deal. If it came from a bike shop, you can bring it to their attention if you think you got a raw deal. As a business they want a good reputation, so they may work something out with you. It may be just an honest mistake on their part and they didn't know what a Schwinn was.
Along with everything else mentioned above, the dropouts are Huffy shaped also, more than enough proof it's a Huffy. And the Schwinn kickstand won't fit a Huffy housing. The welds at the head tube are smooth and rounded on Schwinns, made until 83. Other frames don't have that, like Huffy.

But it's a good ratrod bike just as it sits.

A lot of this stuff is difficult to order just right retro, there's so many bikes and models and mounting brackets.
Personally, I think that's a bit steep price for that bike...esp. that isn't even the bike that you thought it was....:)

Here's an original 57 Schwinn of mine, you can see that the kickstand mount may look similar, but it's held in with 1 little pin, not a long spring clamp and woodruff keys or pins....so if you ordered a kickstand for a vintage Schwinn that's probably exactly what you got.....It would fit this...not that.
Chain ring is the same..so it's Schwinn as Smoop said. (we don't know if it's vintage, but it's Schwinn style)

sckstand.png

Now....I just finished building a bike that had the exact same kickstand mount as yours, and, yep, The frame was a Huffy.

It's still a good looking bike tho...if you like it then you just go with it.
franco

Latest posts

Back