buildoff/ build challenge bikes where are they now?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Luke..you were my first inspiration on this site to start cutting and welding after checking out some of your caaarazy builds. lol.
:happy:
I have a little curved piece to brace the bottom of the steer tube...complete that sortof pretzel look...
the seat...I don't know, feels good but waay to much spring..maybe double up the bar? what do you think? I don't want to run permanent braces down from the seat cuz there's plenty of shaft down in the tube to raise it even more.

thanks Luke..you were my first inspiration on this site to start cutting and welding after checking out some of your caaarazy builds. lol.
I have a little curved piece to brace the bottom of the steer tube...complete that sortof pretzel look...
the seat...I don't know, feels good but waay to much spring..maybe double up the bar? what do you think? I don't want to run permanent braces down from the seat cuz there's plenty of shaft down in the tube to raise it even more.
It is going to be hard to strengthen the seat pole without some stays with the seat that far back, but maybe try a brace like the old BMX layback posts?

layback.jpg

Sometimes it helps, sometimes it just moves the stress point lower and causes a bend...

Luke.

I like it better now. FWIW, I've bent one of those heavy Schwinn exerciser bike seat posts like that and it's sturdy as can be. I also don't use it either... how far away from Illinois are you?

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

thanks Luke
I'm in sunny Florida, America's blast furnace Carl
20cf63e718aa42a610a58e85dc8c80ec.jpg

I know, there's a logical bend.....and then there's pushin' it. lol.. :giggle:
you know , that post is bent that way...it's the shaft of an old weed whacker I found on the road. I have several, that I've cut up and modded...the extra long bar on the original K2A was straight part of weed whacker
If you see one, pick it up, they fit perfectly inside of a seat tube
U could use a straight part, or a smaller part of the bend
I'll reinforce it.....probably run some stays down, might look cool, or not ! we'll see.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
From the Klunk off....
added a rack and bottle opener... relaced the rear with new spokes and red nipples.

2c046f9945355cf6f04d4a4b45e94baa.jpg

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Sold 'Pedro' today, went to the same guy who has 'BigJim'!

Didn't really want to sell it, but at least this way it will get used and seen, BigJim has turned up in the local paper a few times and many car show videos and Facebook pages, so Pedro probably will too... Plus he is a nice guy who appreciates the amount of work I put in!

PEDRO FINISHED.jpg

Luke.

Didn't really want to sell it, but at least this way it will get used and seen, BigJim has turned up in the local paper a few times and many car show videos and Facebook pages, so Pedro probably will too... Plus he is a nice guy who appreciates the amount of work I put in!

View attachment 27974

Luke.

Those tires still freak me out Luke....not to mention the sweeping lines on this one that I always admired....how you got that perfect bend on the seatpost to echo the tire radius....?? on the money

Hope it brought you some Big Bickies

f.

how you got that perfect bend on the seatpost to echo the tire radius....??
I had that bit left over from the length I had rolled for the 'Outlaw' build, it just happened to be a perfect fit, was even the right length! :thumbsup:
Hope it brought you some Big Bickies

f.
I would say reasonable, I certainly didn't make money, but that was never my goal, this is a hobby not a job! ;) I gave him a good deal on the bike both times, he is a nice guy, appreciates the work involved and gets the bikes out there and seen, that is worth more to me than screwing him down for every extra dollar I can... :113:

Luke.

View attachment 27974

Luke.
I've had a lot of people ask me if I sell any of my bikes and I just laugh and point at my garage full and say; "Ha! Does it look like it?" but I know I'd have separation issues with any of the bikes I've built worth selling... It's gotta be hard to let them go. That said, I may thin the herd soon...

Carl.

I hear you Luke ...and Carl too, it is hard to separate...but it also feels good to thin out a bit too.
Luke if you were paid rate by the hour, these bikes would be beyond reach... lol, :13:
glad your customer is appreciative...I sure would be. :thumbsup:
Reasonable is good .
F.

Latest posts

Back