Proflex 554

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked up a mid 90s proflex today. It is nearly complete. Minus a couple items like the sts crank and the seat and a couple tyres. It does needs new elastomers in the original Fastrax shock, and the rear elastomer was melted all over the frame and wheel.

It will be a cool light MTB as soon as I rebuild the suspension. Anyone ever rebuilt one of these forks??

Those forks I think have a 14mm bolt down the upper tube. Hopefully when you get the caps off you have a socket that fits in there, and a long extension.
The nut should be welded on, and there should be a recessed area for the spring to sit it. Its tricky to line up when going back together. There may or may not be rubber seals in there, obviously try not to damage them. But if you're lucky they'll be easily replaceable.

Those forks I think have a 14mm bolt down the upper tube. Hopefully when you get the caps off you have a socket that fits in there, and a long extension.
The nut should be welded on, and there should be a recessed area for the spring to sit it. Its tricky to line up when going back together. There may or may not be rubber seals in there, obviously try not to damage them. But if you're lucky they'll be easily replaceable.

Thanks Falstaff, was a bit different I ended up trial and error on it. Tried pulling the center Alan bolt out, didn't work. Then tightened it all the way in and put the larger Alan bolt out and it took the cap out. Quickly found the locked up side. The elastomer in the left side is goo. Seems like I will have to find a full elastomer kit for that fork. Found a Girvin Fastrax elastomer kit but not certain if it is the right fork . Found at the same place I found a big elastomer bushing for the rear suspension. .

Last edited:
I really dislike this type of suspension fork, just seems like to many pieces that can fail.
Yah, the newer models had a Girvin Vector fork on them with external elastomer Springs. Much better design.

Modern suapension forks with Hydraulic with Springs and oil, way better. Sprung side damper side style also easier than these old ones.

What's the difference between a ProFlex 554 and a ProFlex 854?
which one is better quality/price?

What's the difference between a ProFlex 554 and a ProFlex 854?
which one is better quality/price?
I think the 854 had the vector fork plus Shimano deore instead Shimano STS components. Higher end components and higher prices on the 854.

They would be about the same age, and general frame design.

Latest posts

Back